Live from the 2020 Grand World Voyage

Scrapnana

28 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

Today just did not go as planned.  First of all, I woke up 40 minutes before the alarm after having this dream (nightmare?) that I had agreed to teach one more year.  In the dream, I kept asking myself why I had done it since it meant I could not cruise.

Oh my goodness, this just cracked me up. My mom still wakes up every day singing, "I don't have to go to school!"

I'm a looooooong way to retirement, but as soon as I'm out of the classroom, I'll be on a ship! 🙂

12 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Geez, I am going crazy with the trivia.

7 should have read, "What is the title of the Canadian head of government?"

The answer to 5 should have been Mecca and Nancy Lopez the answer to 6.

The "director" answer was to a question I did not ask.

I will try to do better.

Kathi, no sweat about the mixup!  It's good for the mind to figure out what's wrong sometimes.  😉

Keep up the great work!

12 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

Geez, I am going crazy with the trivia.

7 should have read, "What is the title of the Canadian head of government?"

The answer to 5 should have been Mecca and Nancy Lopez the answer to 6.

The "director" answer was to a question I did not ask.

I will try to do better.

Thanks for straightening us out.  DH and I were having a little tiff the other day over a couple of questions.

7 minutes ago, William Scheigert said:

I don't like the Iced Tea on any cruise line. I think they are all far too lemony and bitter.

I haven't found any lemon in HAL's iced tea; it's plain. If you want anything in it, such as lemon, sugar or other sweetener, you add it yourself to taste. 

January 24, 2020

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Today was my second time in heaven – yarn heaven that is.  Sherita and I left the terminal just after 9 and were on Av. Raul Scalabrini Ortiz shopping by 9:30. We visited at least ten yarn stores, a couple more than once.  We both came away with quite a stash.  I bought some yarn for the items I make each year for charity and some for me.  We taxied back around 12:30, looked around in the terminal dragging our very heavy bags , and then took the shuttle back to the ship (this is one of the ports where you cannot walk around). 

If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I settle into a routine when cruising.  This afternoon had no routine which was kind of nice for a change.  After depositing all my goodies on the bed (to be looked at later), I met Sherita in the Lido and we had lunch together.  I sat by the pool for awhile (for some reason the Sea View pool was closed although I really did not want to swim anyway) and then went back to my cabin to look at all my yarn and figure out where to put it (I can’t get to the suitcases under my bed).

We could have tied for the win in afternoon trivia if I had not changed my mind at the last second.  Only Sherita and I were playing and we had 10 out of 15 with two teams having 11.  The question I changed my mind on was about a 1943 musical with a dream ballet sequence.  My first choice was Oklahoma! but at the last moment I changed my mind to Carousel and of course, Oklahoma! was the correct answer.

1.What is the oldest British colony?

2.What is the national animal of Canada?

3.What is the date of Mexican Independence Day?

4.What is the most populated city in the world?

5.In what year did women get the right to vote in New Zealand?

I returned to my cabin after trivia and worked on my Linus blanket (which I had not picked up in two days) before sail-away.  I watched from the pool deck on 8 as we left port and then had dinner in the Lido.  I went to the local show (Pampas Devils Gauchos) at 7:30 and realized when it started that it was the same show that had been on board last year so I returned to my cabin to work on a couple of computer things.

I met Sherita in the Crow’s Nest for Name That Tune.  We tied for the win.

Montevideo tomorrow.  Sherita and I are going to check out the Manos del Uruguay outlet store and I will continue my quest for a plastic pitcher.

Trivia

1.Bermuda

2.beaver

3.September 16

4.Tokyo

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

January 24, 2020

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Today was my second time in heaven – yarn heaven that is.  Sherita and I left the terminal just after 9 and were on Av. Raul Scalabrini Ortiz shopping by 9:30. We visited at least ten yarn stores, a couple more than once.  We both came away with quite a stash.  I bought some yarn for the items I make each year for charity and some for me.  We taxied back around 12:30, looked around in the terminal dragging our very heavy bags , and then took the shuttle back to the ship (this is one of the ports where you cannot walk around). 

If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I settle into a routine when cruising.  This afternoon had no routine which was kind of nice for a change.  After depositing all my goodies on the bed (to be looked at later), I met Sherita in the Lido and we had lunch together.  I sat by the pool for awhile (for some reason the Sea View pool was closed although I really did not want to swim anyway) and then went back to my cabin to look at all my yarn and figure out where to put it (I can’t get to the suitcases under my bed).

We could have tied for the win in afternoon trivia if I had not changed my mind at the last second.  Only Sherita and I were playing and we had 10 out of 15 with two teams having 11.  The question I changed my mind on was about a 1943 musical with a dream ballet sequence.  My first choice was Oklahoma! but at the last moment I changed my mind to Carousel and of course, Oklahoma! was the correct answer.

1.What is the oldest British colony?

2.What is the national animal of Canada?

3.What is the date of Mexican Independence Day?

4.What is the most populated city in the world?

5.In what year did women get the right to vote in New Zealand?

I returned to my cabin after trivia and worked on my Linus blanket (which I had not picked up in two days) before sail-away.  I watched from the pool deck on 8 as we left port and then had dinner in the Lido.  I went to the local show (Pampas Devils Gauchos) at 7:30 and realized when it started that it was the same show that had been on board last year so I returned to my cabin to work on a couple of computer things.

I met Sherita in the Crow’s Nest for Name That Tune.  We tied for the win.

Montevideo tomorrow.  Sherita and I are going to check out the Manos del Uruguay outlet store and I will continue my quest for a plastic pitcher.

Trivia

1.Bermuda

2.beaver

3.September 16

4.Tokyo

Hi Kathi!

So glad you were with Sherita on your wonderful quest for your fabulous yarn!

you are right Buenos Aires is not a place for walking. I bet you were in heaven with all the yarn shops!!! Isn’t it amazing how we set up habits as if at home when we cruise for long periods of time!

Well I got 3 out of 5 on Trivia!👏👏👏👏

#1,  2, and 5!!! 5 was easy since we were in Nee Zealand for 3 weeks and learned about Women’s rights in a conversation with our group on our trip.

Fingers crossed for your pitcher!!

Take care

Denise😊

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thank you for the photos of the yarn-although my keyboard was in danger from my drooling over the wonderful assortment for an amazing price. I still have the yarn I bought in the Falklands last January-can't decide what I want to do with it but I love just looking at it.

I still have my Falkland yarn and can't decide what to do with it!  It is very soft.

January 25, 2020

Montevideo, Uruguay

Sherita and I had made plans to meet by the gangway at 9 am.  Turns out, when I opened my door she was walking by, so we were off.

We walked through town and visited the Metropolitan Cathedral before stopping for drinks and a donut at the McDonalds at Plaza Constitucion.  There was a flea market setting up in the plaza and we looked at the stalls before proceeding to our main goal – the Manos del Uruguay outlet store.  Luckily, this one sold yarn unlike the store in Punta del Este.

When we walked in we saw a couple from the ship that we had met on Av. Raul Scalabrini Ortiz yesterday.  She wanted only sock yarn and was pleased with what she found.  We looked at the yarn on display which was not a huge amount (at least not compared with yesterday) but their yarn is so nice that more than made up for it.  I saw a couple of types not stocked at home. 

While we were deciding, Judy and Pete came in and we were all searching for some bargains.  Turns out, the yarn was about 1/3 of the price we pay in the U.S. 

As we were heading back to the ship we stopped at a small yarn shop (so small you didn’t go in – all the yarn was in the windows and you told the proprietor what you wanted.  Most everything was acrylic and not that great a price so we did not buy anything.

I was also looking for my pitcher and we had seen a couple of possible stores when Sherita spied one across the street.  She ran over and checked and motioned me over.  They had exactly what I wanted!

The shopping bags that the yarn went in were heavy paper with sharp corners.  As we were walking one of the corners hit my leg and I started dripping blood.  Luckily, I had tissue with me so I was able to stop the bleeding but did not have any band-aids so at the next farmacia we stopped and I bought a package.

We stopped at the flea market and each of us tried to use up the rest of the Uruguayan money we had buying a few souvenirs.  We still had a few left so when we got close to the ship we went into a market and I bought some cokes and Sherita some crackers.

Arriving back at the ship just after one, I felt like I had been in a sauna.  I rested for awhile and had one of my cokes.  I only found out the other day that my iPhone counts my steps.  Now, usually at home my phone is dead in the bottom of my purse or when cruising dead in the safe but I had pulled it out the other day to download Google translate (shown to me by Mike at the dinner table).  I had downloaded some Spanish words as well as some questions (like “Do you sell sock yarn”) for my yarn quest.  Yesterday, I noticed the step counter and found out how far I actually walked in Punta del Este (I thought it had been about 4 miles).  Turns out the total for the three port days was over 15.5 miles!

At 1:40 I decided if I was going to get any food I better get to the Lido which closes (except for sandwiches, salads, and desserts) at 2.  Once finished lunch I filled my new pitcher with tea bags and hot water.  I waited about twenty minutes for it to cool some and then went back to my cabin.  I worked on my Linus blanket until it was time for our second muster drill at 4.  After that it was time for trivia.  Diana and I were the only ones from our team so we joined another team.  The winners had 20.5 out of 21 and we only had 18.

1.Which Dutch company launched CD players in 1981?

2.Why are soap operas called that?

3.Which sport requires throwing stones at houses?

4.How many stars in the Big Dipper?

5.  What was the last name of Fred and Ethel in “I Love Lucy”?

6.What is the most recently recognized winter Olympic sport?

On the way back to my cabin I stopped in the Lido to get some pictures of the Chinese New Year festivities (none of which were in the MDR).

After dinner I was too tired to go to the show.  As I am finishing this up I am having my first glass of iced tea in three weeks and hope to be in bed by midnight provided the pictures upload quickly.

Finally two sea days before we reach the Falklands.

Trivia

1.Philips

2.when they began they were sponsored by soap companies

3.curling

5.Mertz

6.snowboarding

• Like 3

How wonderful that you found more yarn but sorry to hear that the paper bags cut your leg.

G;ad you found your plastic picture and made some tea so that you could have your owned brewed iced tea.

That is cool that you now you can keep track of how much walking you do each day.

Ye -- we got all the trivia questions today.