Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
kariann30

mariner food services contact info

Recommended Posts

Is there contact information for Mariner of the Seas food services? I have spoken to the access department over a period of the last three months and cannot get the answers I need.  I would love to speak to someone onboard who can answer specific nutrition information questions that I have before I board. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would ask special_needs@rccl.com to put you in touch with the Executive Chef.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, tried that but the response I got back was...."we have been assured they can accommodate your needs." This was the same response I got on Anthem which was the farthest thing from the truth. I wrote them a review to let them know that I was very unhappy with the food  situation on Anthem. I was literally given frozen french tries from a bag and fresh uncooked garlic on a bagel for bread to eat. Neither of which were NO SALT! They had no unsalted bread, didn't make any, no unsalted butter, no sweet potatoes, no baked potatoes that they were willing to make anyway. The only thing safe to eat was the steak, chicken, and bananas. After multiple attempts to explain what I needed, I spent the trip hungry and unhappy during my expensive vacation. If Mariner turns out that way I won't be back with RCCL. I can't believe, I can't speak to an onboard chef personally to assure they can take care of my needs. Oasis of the Seas was so good at doing this and since then it has been miserable!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear that Karen  .. Might be time to think of other vacation ideas. Nothing is no more miserable than not being able to eat and being stuck on a ship that cannot provide what you need.

Edited by Tulsacoker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think maybe you (1 person) have set your individual expectations to high for a ship which must feed 3300+ passengers, 3 times a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The on board chefs are not going to speak to an individual person prior to boarding .  Nor can they provide such extensive detailed information regarding ingredients up front.  Their suppliers can and do change.

 

if you need a no  salt diet, I think cruising is not a viable option.  

Edited by spookwife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a nutritionist, nor do I enjoy cooking, but I can think of several meals off the top of my heads that wouldn’t require salt and can easily be made on a ship. However, it does seem extreme to want to contact the head chef directly. I suggest you research (google) typical meals in the MDR on Mariner and request the ones that can be made salt free to be done so. They accommodate vegans and gluten sensitivity, they can accommodate salt free. It’s not rocket science. If nothing else, just request no seasoning on the meals and bring your own bottle of Mrs. Dash. 

 

A no salt diet is a staple of cardiologists orders for patients. The OP is hardly unique in needing this type of food, nor should she be told cruising is not for her because of it. Rude. 

 

OP, if you’re sailing after my May 8th cruise on Mariner, I can take pics of the menus for you. 

Edited by Dancingnurse79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

I’m not a nutritionist, nor do I enjoy cooking, but I can think of several meals off the top of my heads that wouldn’t require salt and can easily be made on a ship. However, it does seem extreme to want to contact the head chef directly. I suggest you research (google) typical meals in the MDR on Mariner and request the ones that can be made salt free to be done so. They accommodate vegans and gluten sensitivity, they can accommodate salt free. It’s not rocket science. If nothing else, just request no seasoning on the meals and bring your own bottle of Mrs. Dash. 

 

A no salt diet is a staple of cardiologists orders for patients. The OP is hardly unique in needing this type of food, nor should she be told cruising is not for her because of it. Rude. 

 

OP, if you’re sailing after my May 8th cruise on Mariner, I can take pics of the menus for you. 

Yes they offer ‘low salt’ options.  But the OP Was talking salt free everything.. bread and other mass produced items.  
 

it’s one thing to not add salt as a seasoning to a protein when it’s being cooked.  It’s another to omit it entirely from a dish that uses it as an ingredient that is to be served to an entire group of passengers.  Such as bread.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spookwife said:

Yes they offer ‘low salt’ options.  But the OP Was talking salt free everything.. bread and other mass produced items.  
 

it’s one thing to not add salt as a seasoning to a protein when it’s being cooked.  It’s another to omit it entirely from a dish that uses it as an ingredient that is to be served to an entire group of passengers.  Such as bread.  

The OP stated that Oasis had no problem accommodating them. That means it can be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree it is not easy....as I said before, I have cruised many times. Oasis has had no problem doing an excellent job of preparing my meals and those multiple cruises were excellent. It is not as easy as not salting what I eat and bringing Mrs. Dash. That is not a salt free diet either. As was suggested, I have considered that this may be my last cruise as much as I love it and would hate for that to be the only option. However, before booking each cruise, I have contacted the Access department that assures me this type of meal prep is not a problem. Unfortunately, that is what I was told about Anthem and it was a big problem. I guess that Mariner will just have to prove it to me or I will no longer be able to cruise with Royal. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. I have spoken to others who have been allowed to contact the ship themselves to get specific answers to questions. I was hoping that it would just be that easy to get the answers to my questions.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kariann30 said:

While I agree it is not easy....as I said before, I have cruised many times. Oasis has had no problem doing an excellent job of preparing my meals and those multiple cruises were excellent. It is not as easy as not salting what I eat and bringing Mrs. Dash. That is not a salt free diet either. As was suggested, I have considered that this may be my last cruise as much as I love it and would hate for that to be the only option. However, before booking each cruise, I have contacted the Access department that assures me this type of meal prep is not a problem. Unfortunately, that is what I was told about Anthem and it was a big problem. I guess that Mariner will just have to prove it to me or I will no longer be able to cruise with Royal. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. I have spoken to others who have been allowed to contact the ship themselves to get specific answers to questions. I was hoping that it would just be that easy to get the answers to my questions.

 

 

 

 

I feel for you. If I love my guts, I have to stick to the autoimmune protocol diet (which is even more restrictive than keto). It’s very difficult to cook/prep for and eating out is pretty much impossible. That’s why I can’t stick to it and my guts hate me for it. However, a no salt diet isn’t usually an option. 😥  When will you be on Mariner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 4:37 PM, Dancingnurse79 said:

A no salt diet is a staple of cardiologists orders for patients. The OP is hardly unique in needing this type of food, nor should she be told cruising is not for her because of it. Rude. 

The OP is talking about a totally salt free diet.  IMO this would be very difficult on a cruise when food is mass produced and salt is an ingredient is bread etc.   Telling the OP that cruising may not be a viable vacation for her was not rude,  simply an honest opinion.  A low salt diet and a totally salt free diet are two different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 12:55 PM, kariann30 said:

yes, tried that but the response I got back was...."we have been assured they can accommodate your needs." This was the same response I got on Anthem which was the farthest thing from the truth. I wrote them a review to let them know that I was very unhappy with the food  situation on Anthem. I was literally given frozen french tries from a bag and fresh uncooked garlic on a bagel for bread to eat. Neither of which were NO SALT! They had no unsalted bread, didn't make any, no unsalted butter, no sweet potatoes, no baked potatoes that they were willing to make anyway. The only thing safe to eat was the steak, chicken, and bananas. After multiple attempts to explain what I needed, I spent the trip hungry and unhappy during my expensive vacation. If Mariner turns out that way I won't be back with RCCL. I can't believe, I can't speak to an onboard chef personally to assure they can take care of my needs. Oasis of the Seas was so good at doing this and since then it has been miserable!

 

Sorry to read that you were not able to resolve your issues.  On Brilliance I requested LowSalt for my husband.  The chef came from the kitchen to our table and discussed the situation with us.  On subsequent days the same chef came to our table to make certain things were as needed.  It can be done with very little effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazyank said:

The OP is talking about a totally salt free diet.  IMO this would be very difficult on a cruise when food is mass produced and salt is an ingredient is bread etc.   Telling the OP that cruising may not be a viable vacation for her was not rude,  simply an honest opinion.  A low salt diet and a totally salt free diet are two different things.

I do understand the difference. But the OP said that it has been done before so it’s possible. Perhaps the difference is that an Oasis class ship is capable of it. Something to consider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Sorry to read that you were not able to resolve your issues.  On Brilliance I requested LowSalt for my husband.  The chef came from the kitchen to our table and discussed the situation with us.  On subsequent days the same chef came to our table to make certain things were as needed.  It can be done with very little effort.

Low salt and no salt are different. No salt can be done by just eating simple proteins and produce, naturally salt free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this was the case on Oasis also. Unfortunately, Anthem was not as informed or accommodating. As simple as it sounds to "just eat simple proteins and produce," the Royal ships cannot identify which proteins and produce are fresh and do not come in prepackaged or preserved. Thus the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious,  at what point might a cruise line say "your dietary requirements are too complicated, we cannot accommodate you" ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazyank said:

I'm curious,  at what point might a cruise line say "your dietary requirements are too complicated, we cannot accommodate you" ?   

I guess she’ll let you know if it happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dancingnurse79 said:

I guess she’ll let you know if it happens. 

I wasn't talking about the OP so please don't imply that I was.  More and more often we read about people with multiple food allergies, complicated dietary requirements, etc.  I'm wondering at what point a cruise line will say,  too complicated, or too time consuming, or something similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, crazyank said:

I wasn't talking about the OP so please don't imply that I was.  More and more often we read about people with multiple food allergies, complicated dietary requirements, etc.  I'm wondering at what point a cruise line will say,  too complicated, or too time consuming, or something similar?

Rhetorical question, got it. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...