Considering Central Park Balcony over Oceanview.

Moltar

Aside from my first 2 cruises we have always done oceanview balconies.  I am tempted, very tempted to try a Central Park balcony. Anyone have experience in both and can tell me their experience?

Scroll down you should find a recent thread with lots of comments on Central Park balcony cabins.

Many people love them.  Personally Central Park never did much for us, just a place to walk thru to get to dining.  Wouldn't have any interest in a balcony there.  We did have a balcony at the end of the boardwalk once which was nice - still had a view of the water, view of aqua theater, and it was "outdoors".

30 minutes ago, Moltar said:

Aside from my first 2 cruises we have always done oceanview balconies.  I am tempted, very tempted to try a Central Park balcony. Anyone have experience in both and can tell me their experience?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2716899-central-park-balconies/?do=findComment&comment=58953903

6 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I like the serene view of the moon reflecting off the ocean and the stars shining.  YMMV based on the weather.

Thats nice too but Central Park is also great for people watching which I love to do.

• Like 1

We tried one this past September. Will never do it again for 2 reasons. 

1 - we enjoy the occasional mid day nap. It seemed they always coincided with loud music from the pool deck and it killed our quiet power naps. 

2 - CP balcony is warm, still air.  Nothing like a nice breeze on the ocean view balconies. I never really sat out on the balcony as it was not very comfortable. 

We decided CP balconies not worth the small discount over OV balconies. 

I think a Central Park balcony is one of the worst cabins in the summer.  There is very little air circulation and the humidity is horrid in Central Park from at least May 1 until late Oct.

It is uncomfortable many times just walking through Central Park in the evening, so sitting outside in the humidity is not for us.  We would do a Boardwalk balcony any day instead of a Central Park balcony.

Thanks all. Booked my CP balcony.  I didn't want a Boardwalk balcony because I dont want zip lines going over me, I dont want sports deck gawkers, I dont want all the commotion around Playmakers. I would much rather look at lush foliage, nightly soothing live music, birds chirping (fake of course), and last but not least, CP at night looks BEAUTIFUL!!!  After this then I will know first hand if I want to go back to my oceanview balcony.

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

People here will tell you all sorts of different reasons they get these cabins.

But the real reason being they are the least expensive cabins with a balcony.

The big balconies are fun

IMAG7174.thumb.jpg.222f602059e732516b894fea8ac4fc6f.jpg

20191001_113238.thumb.jpg.56a77e9cfb3e1aff561bacaaa1aed703.jpg

• Like 1

I have stayed in a CP balcony & an OV balcony on Oasis OTS.  I liked both.  It was an experience & I always enjoy new experiences.  We didn't use the balcony as much as I thought we would so when DH goes with me, it is a waste of money.  A normal oceanview cabin will work for us.  When my friend went with me we used & enjoyed the CP balcony.  Sitting out there listening to the music & people watching made it worth it to us.  I would definitely stay in one again if given a choice.

Everyone has different likes & dislikes.  It doesn't hurt to at least try one & make up your mind for yourself about how it works & feels to you.

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

People here will tell you all sorts of different reasons they get these cabins.

But the real reason being they are the least expensive cabins with a balcony.

That’s simply not true.

We book Central Park staterooms because we enjoy them.

• Like 1

We tried one for the first time last year on Oasis during Easter week.  During that week, there was a significant price difference between that cabin and the OV across the hall.  We needed two cabins, so we opted to save the money.

The cabin worked out fine and I enjoyed the views and music at night.  We didn't experience the negatives that some others cite (if you think pool music will bother you during the day, pick a lower deck.)  While I would likely always choose an ocean view over a park view, saving money on an already price-inflated week trumped all.

36 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

Is this on all Oasis ships?  I don’t recall seeing these on Symphony 

Yes, all the ones that end in 29

I believe on Symphony and possibly Harmony,  a few of the service closets were replaced with an inside cabin. 

Look at decks 10-14

Edited by John&LaLa

We did a B2B on Allure when she was about a year old. Booked Central Park one week and Boardwalk the next on purpose just to give them a try. I didn’t regret either, but we went back to ocean view for our next Oasis class cruises on Allure and Harmony (a few years later). I missed the ocean. 🙂 I probably preferred Central Park slightly. When there’s a band by the pool, you will hear the music. I heard someone complaining about that while we were waiting in the lounge for our next cruise.  Did not bother me. 

I always recommend giving either a try just to see what you think. Truth told, if I’ve spent more than 30 minutes on a balcony at any one time in nearly 50 cruises, I don’t remember it.....but I like having a glass of wine out there before dinner.