Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Linsifer

FOMO? (Fear of missing out) re; Glacier Bay

Recommended Posts

We’re booked for August 9, 2021 on the Ruby from S.F.  That sailing does Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.  Unfortunately, they don’t offer Glacier Bay during the window we can cruise. After reading here from people saying that GB is a MUST see, I feel like we’re missing out.😣   The majority make it sound like it’s FAR superior and one of the highlights of an Alaskan cruise.  My preference would be to sail on May 11, 2021, however, my husband (although retired from teaching), has a summer job, as well as he times high school track meets during the spring.  And the large, regional meets fall during May.  He really enjoys timing those.  Phooey.  I’m trying to talk him into getting out of them...but so far, it’s a no-go.  

 

Soooo, what do you think?  Will it still be worth our while to see Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier?  Are we going to miss out on THAT much not being able to see Glacier Bay?  

 

Back in 2005 we took a large extended family cruise to Alaska out for Seattle.  My father-in-law insisted we go on the NCL Star because they were going to Glacier Bay.  Ha.  After we got up there, we weren’t allowed in because of an azipod issue.  They feared there could be leaking oil, so we weren’t allowed in the park.  Now I’m wondering if it's just not in the stars for us to see this must-see place everyone is taking about. 🤔😐  Please reassure me that Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier won’t be a total bust.  Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve sailed in May to Glacier Bay and it was so foggy there wasn’t much to see. I think it’s hit or miss so early in the season. Dispute the fog we did witness a 11 story calving in front of our balcony. Heard it before I saw it. Have gone to Edicott arms in May as well. Same thing it was very foggy but I felt we saw more sea animals here. My husband said there was a small calving. I didn’t see it or hear it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've cruised up to Alaska 12 times and have another one booked ... so, you can well imagine, we've seen many different glaciers and sailed through many different fjords.  While I absolutely loved our day in Glacier Bay, you will be wowed by any experience up there, including Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm.  I've done these both in May and were not able to see anything ... the weather was so foggy and we couldn't even get up close to the glacier in one instance.  There was just way too much ice in the water.  August has been much better in terms of weather, for us, anyway.  The first week of Sept is our favorite time to go.  We've had really great luck during that time of the season.  I would hate for you to book just to see Glacier Bay and have nothing to see... And the Endicott Arm is hardly what I would call a total bust!  It's beautiful!!  Everything in Alaska is simply Beautiful. Just check out that color of the glacial ice.  There are just no words to describe it.  And ... don't miss out on the naturalist's talks!!  You will get so much more out of your experience.   

image.thumb.png.0cd0ea8f7d4cbb87100ee3028f5c1813.png

 

Then, while on your cruise, book another one for next year that includes Glacier Bay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Endicott Arm is the last choice for cruise ships and glaciers. They only started going there because Tracy Arm was missed so often. They finally put it on the schedule instead of Tracy Arm as most ships ended up going there anyway.

 

My top to bottom list would be:

Glacier Bay

Hubbard Glacier

College Fjords

Tracy Arm (above College Fiords if in a small boat, after College Fiords on a cruise ship)

Endicott Arm

 

I have also done Alaska a ton of times also. Been routed to Endicott Arm 3x. Didn't plan on going any of the three times. The only time I thought it was decent was when I went with Adventure Bound (small boat) and he did a lot of other things around the area that a cruise ship would not/could not do.

 

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Coral said:

Endicott Arm is the last choice for cruise ships and glaciers. They only started going there because Tracy Arm was missed so often. They finally put it on the schedule instead of Tracy Arm as most ships ended up going there anyway.

 

My top to bottom list would be:

Glacier Bay

Hubbard Glacier

College Fjords

Tracy Arm (above College Fiords if in a small boat, after College Fiords on a cruise ship)

Endicott Arm

 

I have also done Alaska a ton of times also. Been routed to Endicott Arm 3x. Didn't plan on going any of the three times. The only time I thought it was decent was when I went with Adventure Bound (small boat) and he did a lot of other things around the area that a cruise ship would not/could not do.

 

Lol.  Thanks, Coral.  I kind of figured your reply would be more on the negative side regarding Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier.  I had read a couple of your posts.  I appreciate your honesty,  nonetheless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We've cruised up to Alaska 12 times and have another one booked ... so, you can well imagine, we've seen many different glaciers and sailed through many different fjords.  While I absolutely loved our day in Glacier Bay, you will be wowed by any experience up there, including Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm.  I've done these both in May and were not able to see anything ... the weather was so foggy and we couldn't even get up close to the glacier in one instance.  There was just way too much ice in the water.  August has been much better in terms of weather, for us, anyway.  The first week of Sept is our favorite time to go.  We've had really great luck during that time of the season.  I would hate for you to book just to see Glacier Bay and have nothing to see... And the Endicott Arm is hardly what I would call a total bust!  It's beautiful!!  Everything in Alaska is simply Beautiful. Just check out that color of the glacial ice.  There are just no words to describe it.  And ... don't miss out on the naturalist's talks!!  You will get so much more out of your experience.   

image.thumb.png.0cd0ea8f7d4cbb87100ee3028f5c1813.png

 

Then, while on your cruise, book another one for next year that includes Glacier Bay.  

Thank you, Cruise Raider.  It certainly sounds like you’ve experienced them all!  You mentioned the first week of September.  There IS a September 8, 2021 voyage that has Glacier Bay in its itinerary.  I chose August because I figured it would be a bit drier and a warmer.  I’m more of a fair-weather girl! 😉  I also understand that with Alaska, anything goes!  So we’ll definitely be prepared for rain or whatever nature has in mind.   Would you say that your weather was fairly normal for early September?  Or more of an anomaly? With climate change it’s hard to predict.  I’m just going by what they say the monthly norms are   Thanks again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Linsifer said:

Lol.  Thanks, Coral.  I kind of figured your reply would be more on the negative side regarding Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier.  I had read a couple of your posts.  I appreciate your honesty,  nonetheless. 

You will probably get replies from people who have only been to one glacier and that was it. They probably enjoyed it.

 

I will tell you where my thought process is coming from. My first cruise to Alaska was on RCCL and went to Hubbard Glacier. My Mom had recently become visually impaired due to a weird accident. She  could somewhat see that year we went. We missed Hubbard Glacier all together (we were 9 miles away) and that was the only glacier on the itinerary. All ships missed it that year. Well - it took me probably 15 year to get my Mom back to Alaska and by then, her eyesight was gone. We did a B2B and did get to GB, Hubbard glacier and College Fiords (and GB again). I felt bad but one never knows what life brings. What if you don't make it back to Alaska? For probably 90% of the people, Alaska is a one time trip. When you are on the ship, you will see so many people who do not cruise normally but did just for Alaska and will probably never cruise again.

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you fly and do a 7 night NB or SB trip?  You will see 2 glaciers then and probably have more options for dates. It is probably a wash as the SFO sailings seem to be more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first Alaska cruise included Hubbard Glacier and it was a spectacular day!

It was sunny, chilly, and we enjoyed watching and hearing a lot of calving.

The Nature Commentator said that this was kind of rare and was a real treat. 

This was in late August. Since that, we have cruised Alaska 3 more times and

have been to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (making it all the way to see the glacier).

For some reason, Hubbard is still my favorite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Coral said:

Can you fly and do a 7 night NB or SB trip?  You will see 2 glaciers then and probably have more options for dates. It is probably a wash as the SFO sailings seem to be more expensive.

We’re specifically doing the 10 day out of SF because it’s within 90 minute driving distance.  I’m not a fan of flying.  We would fly out of SJC if we went that route.  In 2005 we did fly up to Seattle for a 7 day RT cruise to Alaska with family.  And as I mentioned, we missed GB because of azipod issues.  I think if we cruise to Alaska again, it would be a cruise tour.  But, that probably won’t be for awhile.  We have other places to see, in the meantime.  Looking forward to a Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel trip in August 2020.  That will include two different Amtrak trains to get to Arizona from CA.  We love train travel, as well as cruising. 

Edited by Linsifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linsifer, I am going to also try to put your mind at ease.  I have a mere half dozen AK cruises under my belt, but I can assure you the worst one was AWESOME.  I have visited College Fjord, Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord.  I have seen glacial calving every time.  It is pretty neat.  It sounds just like thunder.  That being said, I do agree that the ranger narration and presentations on the Glacier Bay visits were interesting.  Again, though, I would not plan my life around making sure I experienced that.

 

I also agree that in any of these glacier viewing days, it is better if the sun is shining brightly.  However, that is a case of you pays your money, and you take your chance.  I'm sure the cruise lines are working on a "Guaranteed Great Weather" upgrade to charge for, but, so far, they haven't been able to figure that out.

 

I also have to laugh at posters who boldly state that any given month is the rainy season or the dry season in Alaska.  Again, my experience is limited:

 

  • 2 X cruises in April/May
  • 1 X cruise in August
  • 3 X cruises in September

We have encountered rain in every one of those cruises.  Never did that affect my enjoyment--even when our floatplane excurstion was cancelled in Ketchikan in 2018.  Ketchikan is in a rain forest.  What does that tell you?

 

Personally, I am sure that you will have a great cruise regardless of the month and regardless of the itinerary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Linsifer said:

Thank you, Cruise Raider.  It certainly sounds like you’ve experienced them all!  You mentioned the first week of September.  There IS a September 8, 2021 voyage that has Glacier Bay in its itinerary.  I chose August because I figured it would be a bit drier and a warmer.  I’m more of a fair-weather girl! 😉  I also understand that with Alaska, anything goes!  So we’ll definitely be prepared for rain or whatever nature has in mind.   Would you say that your weather was fairly normal for early September?  Or more of an anomaly? With climate change it’s hard to predict.  I’m just going by what they say the monthly norms are   Thanks again! 

 

We usually go in September.  I chose late August once, we've been three times in May and once in late September...all of the others were that first week of September.  One of the May sailings had incredible weather until the day we hit the glacier and then it was very foggy and rainy.  The one in late August, we experienced pretty good weather and the calmest seas ever!!  It was just like glass and that was the cruise to be on for anyone that experiences sea sickness.  The ones in that first week of Sept ... well, we sort of thought people told us that it rains up in Alaska were crazy.  We didn't see any rain for many of these sailings... until we did, of course.  😉  There were cruises where we didn't use our jackets even once but did use an entire tube of sunblock.  I mean, it was in the mid seventies and for us out here near San Francisco, well, that is pretty warm.  We definitely made good use of the shorts and tshirts we brought.  But, now, late September ... yikes!!  That was truly one of my all time favorite cruises but wow, the weather really turned!!  We had sleet and and a couple of days of such immense winds that they closed access to all the open decks.  I have to laugh because there is a picture of my sister in law and I out on the deck to see the glacier and we were being pelted by the sleet ... holding our hot chocolate .. which was lukewarm within a second ... freezing our butts off.  I sent her a picture from the following year out at that same glacier but a couple of weeks earlier in Sept and my DH and I were in our bathing suits.  Now, it being that warm is a fluke but we went last Sept and again, spent the day out on our balcony while in Glacier Bay and it was so hot by the afternoon (the morning was cold) that we had to change into shorts.  Juneau's weather was the same ... very warm and such brilliant sunshine!!  

If it were me, I would probably pick the Sept 8th sailing that includes Glacier Bay if you can swing it.  You will also get such great end of the season bargains in port to boot.  

 

If I can make one more suggestion ... if there is one place to splurge on a balcony cabin, Alaska is the itinerary to do so!  I am a bargain traveler but, this is where I will splurge a little more.  We skipped all excursions this last time and spent the money we saved on a Caribe deck balcony ... so glad we did.  We spent the entire time we were in the inside passage and in Glacier Bay.  We still did some hikes and DIY tours in some of the ports but that time on our balcony was absolutely priceless!! 

 

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time ... and bon voyage!!  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Linsifer said:

We’re specifically doing the 10 day out of SF because it’s within 90 minute driving distance.  I’m not a fan of flying.  We would fly out of SJC if we went that route.  In 2005 we did fly up to Seattle for a 7 day RT cruise to Alaska with family.  And as I mentioned, we missed GB because of azipod issues.  I think if we cruise to Alaska again, it would be a cruise tour.  But, that probably won’t be for awhile.  We have other places to see, in the meantime.  Looking forward to a Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel trip in August 2020.  That will include two different Amtrak trains to get to Arizona from CA.  We love train travel, as well as cruising. 

Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Linsifer said:

We’re specifically doing the 10 day out of SF because it’s within 90 minute driving distance.  I’m not a fan of flying.  We would fly out of SJC if we went that route.  In 2005 we did fly up to Seattle for a 7 day RT cruise to Alaska with family.  And as I mentioned, we missed GB because of azipod issues.  I think if we cruise to Alaska again, it would be a cruise tour.  But, that probably won’t be for awhile.  We have other places to see, in the meantime.  Looking forward to a Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel trip in August 2020.  That will include two different Amtrak trains to get to Arizona from CA.  We love train travel, as well as cruising. 

 

I'm with you ... we really don't like flying, either!!  

Oh, and that Grand Canyon Railway ... what a blast!!  We did that one President's Day weekend once ... it was amazing!!  Have fun on that trip as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, for your detailed reply XB Guy!  I’m feeling better already.  I’m sure it’ll be fine.  Since I live in coastal California in the redwoods, when we were in Alaska in 2005, some of it looked familiar—especially on the little train.  Similar to our Roaring Camp steam engine narrow gauge railroad.  But since we didn’t get to see glaciers last time, I’m looking forward to it in 2021.  So we won’t get to see Glacier Bay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the camp that unless you plan on going several times to Alaska -- go with Glacier Bay. It is a National Park for a reason. And the others are not. It wouldn't surprise me if Glacier Bay starts restricting cruise ships even more in the future due to emissions like other places are. Norway and Antarctica are restricting which ships can visit certain areas and most ships don't qualify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nini said:

Our first Alaska cruise included Hubbard Glacier and it was a spectacular day!

It was sunny, chilly, and we enjoyed watching and hearing a lot of calving.

The Nature Commentator said that this was kind of rare and was a real treat. 

This was in late August. Since that, we have cruised Alaska 3 more times and

have been to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (making it all the way to see the glacier).

For some reason, Hubbard is still my favorite!

 

 

I love it there as well .... and just a little fun fact:

Despite the worldwide trend of shrinking glaciers since the 1940s, Hubbard Glacier has actually been thickening as it continues its advancement into Disenchantment Bay and beyond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you will regret it. I have probably been to Alaska 20x so it doens't matter which glacier I go to. For my friends who are only going once or who have missed a glacier ---- I immediately recommend  to them to go with Glacier Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

 

We usually go in September.  I chose late August once, we've been three times in May and once in late September...all of the others were that first week of September.  One of the May sailings had incredible weather until the day we hit the glacier and then it was very foggy and rainy.  The one in late August, we experienced pretty good weather and the calmest seas ever!!  It was just like glass and that was the cruise to be on for anyone that experiences sea sickness.  The ones in that first week of Sept ... well, we sort of thought people told us that it rains up in Alaska were crazy.  We didn't see any rain for many of these sailings... until we did, of course.  😉  There were cruises where we didn't use our jackets even once but did use an entire tube of sunblock.  I mean, it was in the mid seventies and for us out here near San Francisco, well, that is pretty warm.  We definitely made good use of the shorts and tshirts we brought.  But, now, late September ... yikes!!  That was truly one of my all time favorite cruises but wow, the weather really turned!!  We had sleet and and a couple of days of such immense winds that they closed access to all the open decks.  I have to laugh because there is a picture of my sister in law and I out on the deck to see the glacier and we were being pelted by the sleet ... holding our hot chocolate .. which was lukewarm within a second ... freezing our butts off.  I sent her a picture from the following year out at that same glacier but a couple of weeks earlier in Sept and my DH and I were in our bathing suits.  Now, it being that warm is a fluke but we went last Sept and again, spent the day out on our balcony while in Glacier Bay and it was so hot by the afternoon (the morning was cold) that we had to change into shorts.  Juneau's weather was the same ... very warm and such brilliant sunshine!!  

If it were me, I would probably pick the Sept 8th sailing that includes Glacier Bay if you can swing it.  You will also get such great end of the season bargains in port to boot.  

 

If I can make one more suggestion ... if there is one place to splurge on a balcony cabin, Alaska is the itinerary to do so!  I am a bargain traveler but, this is where I will splurge a little more.  We skipped all excursions this last time and spent the money we saved on a Caribe deck balcony ... so glad we did.  We spent the entire time we were in the inside passage and in Glacier Bay.  We still did some hikes and DIY tours in some of the ports but that time on our balcony was absolutely priceless!! 

 

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time ... and bon voyage!!  

 

**********

The weather definitely sounds hit or miss!  You lucked out much of the time, it looks like.   

I had read that September can bring rockier seas.  Is that true?  And of course, USUALLY more rain and colder, but like you said, who knows.  No guarantees either way.  I have to admit,  I really prefer drier weather and somewhat warmer days.  Not a fan of wet days.  And of course, I’d like to have the best possible views of the surrounding area and glaciers. 

My husband just told me we CAN go on September 8th if I really want to change dates.  He doesn’t seem to care about WHAT glaciers we see. So, that won’t make or break the deal for him.  Myself, while I would look forward to Glacier Bay, if it meant having rainier/colder weather the REST of the time, I’d almost opt to forgo it just to experience late summer in early August if it meant it being a bit warmer and drier.  Sheesh.  I hate decisions.  Something to contemplate, though.  Thanks once again! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Linsifer said:
14 minutes ago, Linsifer said:

The weather definitely sounds hit or miss!  You lucked out much of the time, it looks like.   

I had read that September can bring rockier seas.  Is that true?  And of course, USUALLY more rain and colder, but like you said, who knows.  No guarantees either way.  I have to admit,  I really prefer drier weather and somewhat warmer days.  Not a fan of wet days.  And of course, I’d like to have the best possible views of the surrounding area and glaciers. 

My husband just told me we CAN go on September 8th if I really want to change dates.  He doesn’t seem to care about WHAT glaciers we see. So, that won’t make or break the deal for him.  Myself, while I would look forward to Glacier Bay, if it meant having rainier/colder weather the REST of the time, I’d almost opt to forgo it just to experience late summer in early August if it meant it being a bit warmer and drier.  Sheesh.  I hate decisions.  Something to contemplate, though.  Thanks once again! 

 

 

It's tough to predict.  Yes, I do agree that September can have rougher sea conditions.  We haven't experienced a lot of really wet weather up that way but have lucked out on many occasions.  I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be a fabulous trip!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to add my 2 cents worth.

We started sailing to Alaska in 1997 out of San Francisco (we now live near Portland, OR, so we sail out of Seattle or Vancouver BC).  As many have said "any glacier is better than no glacier".  Yes, Glacier Bay is first on my list, Hubbard is second, and Dawes is third.  I'm not particularly fond of College Fjord.  I love Tracy Arm, but am not impressed with the Sawyer Glaciers.  The Endicott Arm is not as pretty or impressive as Tracy Arm, but the Dawes Glacier is much more impressive than the Sawyer Glaciers.  In my opinion an overcast day is better for seeing than a sunny day.  The glare from the sun fades the blue of the glaciers.

As far as weather is concerned .... we've been rained on in every port and we've had sunshine in every port.  It depends upon what Mother Nature is feeling like doing.  We've been in Juneau in July and it was snowing and in May and it was 75+ and sunny.  We've never sailed Alaska in September, but we've sailed Alaska in May, June, July, and August.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your vacation!  Just like everything else in life, not everyone will agree or disagree on any given topic.  You've received some good advice on this thread, so go and have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

If I can make one more suggestion ... if there is one place to splurge on a balcony cabin, Alaska is the itinerary to do so!  I am a bargain traveler but, this is where I will splurge a little more.  We skipped all excursions this last time and spent the money we saved on a Caribe deck balcony ... so glad we did.  We spent the entire time we were in the inside passage and in Glacier Bay.  We still did some hikes and DIY tours in some of the ports but that time on our balcony was absolutely priceless!! 

 

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time ... and bon voyage!!  

 

Cruise Raider, we have a Club Class Mini Suite midship.  We were upgraded free to CC on our cruise to Hawaii this past April.  And an upsell to CC when we sailed down to Mexico.  So, now we’re kinda spoiled.  Actually, this Best. Ever. Sale. has helped! 

Thank you for your good wishes.  I know it’s not until 2021, but that will be here before you know it.

We’re really looking forward to the Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel adventure.  Glad you liked It! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Posted twice—deleted. 

Edited by Linsifer
Posted twice accidentally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Linsifer said:

We’re specifically doing the 10 day out of SF because it’s within 90 minute driving distance.  ... We love train travel, as well as cruising. 

Have you considered taking the Coast Starlight and Cascades up to Vancouver or Seattle then? IIRC the timing means about a day and a half on the train, but since you were looking at a 10 day that nicely dovetails with a 7 day cruise plus 3 days railing... and you've have way more options.

 

Glacier Bay is a huge deal not because any individual glacier in there is more spectacular than Hubbard, or the bay itself as narrow and impressive as Tracy Arm, but because it has multiple glaciers in the same place (and they are quite different, including the most-actively-calving glacier you're likely to visit on any cruise in there parts) and you are as close to being guaranteed to get in and up close as you possibly can be. Tracy is notoriously hard to visit; Hubbard can be impossible to safely get near due to how huge the chunks are that fall when it does calve; but tales of missing Glacier Bay or failing to see anything due to distance or fog are extremely rare, Endicott is still narrower than GB so more prone to too much ice than GB, and if you do have ropey weather

 

Would I refuse to sail on a trip without it? Heck no - in fact our most recent AK cruise didn't visit a single glacier at all (we didn't miss one, there were none on the itinerary!) But given that you already had one incredibly unlucky trip, why not stack the deck in your favour if it is viable to change to a GB itinerary?

 

But assuming you remain with just your two possible listed dates of Aug 9 or Sep 8 to choose from, I would be inclined toward the former - not because of the weather (August is only slightly dryer-and-warmer on average weather than early Sep, nowhere near as dry as May which is by far the best cruising month for avoiding rain) but more importantly you'd get a significant amount of extra daylight - if you're early risers or late bedders you'll have more than an hour extra on each end of the day to see the scenery from the ship, or actually hang around in port if you have e.g. one of the late Juneau slots where ships stay until 11pm. Compare your port dates here, and you'll see that the sun comes up about 70mins later and sets 70mins sooner on the same date in Sep than in Aug...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

If this Excursion is offered, I'd say to do it:

 

 

Endicott Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

 

"The adventure begins as soon as you board your luxurious, high-speed catamaran directly from the cruise ship. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin surrounded by panoramic windows as your experienced captain sails past curious seals resting on floating icebergs.

Endicott Arm is a classic fjord, with turquoise tidewater, elevated glaciers, stunning mountains and a towering rock wall over a mile high. While exploring the length of this ice-carved fjord, cruise beneath cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the jade-colored sea and feel the mist on your face as the vessel cruises almost directly under a plunging waterfall. The area teems with wildlife such as bears, mountain goats, and bald eagles and the waters are home to humpback whales and harbor seals.

The extraordinary maneuverability of your cruising vessel allows you to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of the Dawes Glacier. From the topside observation decks enjoy unforgettable vistas. You can even see and feel the "white thunder," as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. Unobstructed views present wonderful photo opportunities.

An onboard naturalist provides a wealth of information about the area that John Muir called "one of the most dramatically stunning fjords of southeast Alaska." Enjoy a variety of complimentary food samples and beverages served by your friendly Alaskan crew as you trace the rugged shores of Stephens Passage on the cruise back to Juneau where you will rejoin your cruise ship."

 
 
But ... it looks like your itinerary - where you go to Juneau first - won't offer this one.
 
 
Edited by Ferd Berfle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...