Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

Rhine water levels 2020 and similar topics

It is amazing to know how far that bottled message traveled

Rose Monday is nearly over, but there is still tomorrow for more celebrations and parades! I enjoyed a Berliner - the fried pastry filled with delicious jam - this afternoon and still have some Muzenblätter left for tomorrow. What that is is explained at the end of this video about a Cologne Carnival speciality, the Muzemandeln. But they are sold not only in Cologne, they are eaten in many places in the Middle Rhine valley as well and my local baker had both! Here is the video, my advice is: best not watched when hungry (grin): https://m.dw.com/en/sweet-carnival-treats-from-cologne-muzemandeln/av-52468540 

notamermaid

do they sell the pastries year round in Germany; or just for the festival?

Traditionally, Muzen of both types are just sold from January till Veilchendienstag - today - i.e. the end of Carnival according to the Roman Catholic calendar. Tomorrow lent starts, Ash Wednesday. While Carnival is the "heyday" for Berliner which are also called Krapfen in other parts of Germany they can be bought after Carnival. It will depend on the region and the bakery that you go to.

notamermaid

So I will be in Cologne in May on Ama Stella.  What type of German pastries should I look forward to?

11 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

So I will be in Cologne in May on Ama Stella.  What type of German pastries should I look forward to?

Good question. I am not too familiar with the world of pastry in Cologne. It is in all likelihood quite similar to ours. Personally I tend to eat cakes or chocolate croissants, shame on me for preferring French. Or British biscuits (No, do not hit me!!). To give you an idea and to really make your mouth water, here is the website of the café at the corner of the street near the Domplatz: http://www.cafe-reichard.de/index.html 

As regards more local specialities I am sure your cruise director and your guide will be able to give you some tips.

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Good question. I am not too familiar with the world of pastry in Cologne. It is in all likelihood quite similar to ours. Personally I tend to eat cakes or chocolate croissants, shame on me for preferring French. Or British biscuits (No, do not hit me!!). To give you an idea and to really make your mouth water, here is the website of the café at the corner of the street near the Domplatz: http://www.cafe-reichard.de/index.html 

As regards more local specialities I am sure your cruise director and your guide will be able to give you some tips.

notamermaid

Is this cafe located right downtown?

11 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Is this cafe located right downtown?

Yup, just round the corner from the cathedral, not towards Hohe Strasse or the old town, sort of down the steps when you have the cathedral gates behind you. Should be easy to find.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification

Thanks looks like my kind of place