Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

Danube water levels 2020 and similar topics - plus tips and info

For the record: Pfelling gauge has dropped to 250cm.

On 16 July the building works along the Bavarian Danube started. There will be alterations to embankments and the navigation channel will be deepened (I mentioned the plans earlier this year). This is the report by the regional news channel in German: https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/sanfter-donauausbau-in-niederbayern-das-projektziel,S4jRhSz

notamermaid

We had quite a share of rain today and according to the weather guys this might last on for the next two days. So that might fill up the Danube river a little bit...

steamboats

Sounds promising, steamboats. Water desperately needed on land as well. I expect dry conditions will have reached the Middle Danube (Austria, etc.) by now as well.

In this heat I am sure people are flocking to the Isar. I just hope the English Garden with you in Munich is not as crowded as the beaches along the South coast of England. I prefer my back garden - sun, gravel, dry grass, bumble bees and adorable cats - bliss. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

14 hours ago, notamermaid said:

In this heat I am sure people are flocking to the Isar. I just hope the English Garden with you in Munich is not as crowded as the beaches along the South coast of England. I prefer my back garden - sun, gravel, dry grass, bumble bees and adorable cats - bliss. :classic_biggrin:

The only time I see the English Garden is in the morning and in in late afternoon - when I pass through in the public bus. I prefer my own tiny garden too including my cat 😉

steamboats

O.k., please stop it! We had enough rain... First thing I heard on the radio this morning that the Autobahn near lake Chiemsee is flooded 6 feet high and closed in both directions.

Our local river in Munich, the Isar river, just crested shortly under the level 3 warning stage.

Lots of floodings especially in the Chiemsee region. Just saw some "nice" pictures in the TV news.

Passau is near level 2 and should crest below 4 tomorrow (which is 8.50 m).

I think the weather guys said we had the amount of rain within the last 24 hours we usually have in the whole month of August.

So praying for all in the affected areas! Fortunately I´m sitting high and dry.

steamboats

I have just heard. It is bad. I saw on the weather forecast day before yesterday that there would be downpours but what has come down is certainly more than I could ever anticipate.

This is the graph:

image.png.f3bff94f4e1c88538a0636b47c9f9dbd.png

Hope all goes well, the next two days look critical.

notamermaid

This morning they said in the news that Passau will crest shortly below the 8.50 m mark. It gets pretty uncomfortable in Passau when hitting the 9 m. But all car owners are already called to move their cars from the historic downtown area near the rivers (Passau has 3 - Ilz and Iller are merging with the Danube which causes even a bigger problem).

steamboats

The three rivers are indeed an added problem. Koblenz on the Rhine has that problem in flooding with the two rivers and the waves of flooding on both rivers often coming at the same or at least similar times. Quite striking was the difference in weather patterns a few days ago. All the downpours were in the far South of the country and mostly the East. In effect, the Rhine has stayed a pleasant river with little rise in level.

Consolation for Bavaria is that the rain will not return this week and the situation should ease quickly on the Danube in a couple of days. Austria will need a bit longer and there appears to be a bit more rain coming in the next few days, but reports say the situation in Linz is not too bad.

notamermaid