Jump to content

Air Credit?


fudge
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

I need advise please.We have booked a cruise for next December, as part of the deal we will be offered air credit.  We have never been offered this before, can anyone explain whether it is worth it please? I normally source my own flights, we will be flying from London to Barbados.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had Air credit offered, think it was $300 per person?  you have to book through Seabourn and take their prices offered. 

At the time they gave me 2 quotes for business class one on BA and the other on VS (their preferred carriers I was told) When I found similar flights on Virgin for substantially less than Seabourn's quote they conveniently couldn't find those flights in their system. I even provided them with the dates times and screenshot of the flights but still they couldn't find it on their system!

I went ahead and booked my flights with Virgin saving £800 per ticket which was far more than the $300 they were offering.

Basically do your own research before accepting the Air Credit offered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are flying MIA to BCN in July RT. We received a 500 dollar per person air fare credit. We priced Seabourn vs booking ourselves on American. Business with Seabourn was 2000 pp with the 500 dollar credit.   Booking it ourselves was around $5000 pp. Booked with Seabourn. Don't have to pay until final payment. You just have to do the research. On some occasions, Seabourns  pricing was more expensive that booking yourself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just another comment. On HAL's website, you can research air fare, but with Seabourn, you have to have your TA look it up. I know they use the same web platform. Curious why you can't research flights on Seabourn's website. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wesport said:

Just another comment. On HAL's website, you can research air fare, but with Seabourn, you have to have your TA look it up. I know they use the same web platform. Curious why you can't research flights on Seabourn's website. 

I don't see a way to do this on HAL's website unless you have a HAL booking number.  Am I missing something?  I would love to search and compare airfares online rather than bothering my travel agent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, travel4b said:

I don't see a way to do this on HAL's website unless you have a HAL booking number.  Am I missing something?  I would love to search and compare airfares online rather than bothering my travel agent.

You do need to have a booking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 9:23 PM, Reef Knot said:

We had Air credit offered, think it was $300 per person?  you have to book through Seabourn and take their prices offered. 

At the time they gave me 2 quotes for business class one on BA and the other on VS (their preferred carriers I was told) When I found similar flights on Virgin for substantially less than Seabourn's quote they conveniently couldn't find those flights in their system. I even provided them with the dates times and screenshot of the flights but still they couldn't find it on their system!

I went ahead and booked my flights with Virgin saving £800 per ticket which was far more than the $300 they were offering.

Basically do your own research before accepting the Air Credit offered.

Hi,

Do you mind telling me, did you book with Virgin Airlines direct?  I am looking at flights for next December but Virgins calendar only goes up to the 28th December, we return on the 2nd January 2021. Not that I am in a hurry to book yet, but it would be nice to get in early, especially if we need business class seats! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fudge said:

Would you believe, Virgin Airlines are STILL not showing availability for the dates I require. I am fairly certain they fly everyday to Barbados, very odd?   

 

Yes, certainly at that time of year they have a daily flight from Gatwick.

Assuming from your first post that the flight dates you want are not more than a year ahead?

Edit- it's showing full on certain dates. 

Edited again;- I just tried booking 18 December -2nd January and it's showing available in Economy but not Upper Class. I can only see it if I choose the 'Flexible dates' option.However, unable to click through to book those dates.

 suggest speak to Virgin on the phone to see if they can clarify!

Edited by Isklaar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New post as I've edited the above several times due to it not posting correctly.

Extra information- returning from Caribbean (and Florida)  to UK on certain dates in early January is often difficult, especially in business/first class, as flights for the Christmas period get booked up very quickly. We have had to delay return to the second week in January sometimes. 

I'm not sure how the Air Credit works. Do you book the flights and get a cash credit from SB or do they book the flights for you at a lower rate? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply, you are obviously well traveled.

We thought we would treat ourselves to upper class, the lowest price is an eye watering 11, 700 pounds for two. (ouch)

BA are dearer than that! 

I have spent hours and hours researching web sites Etc to try and grab a deal, maybe I am looking too early? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

New post as I've edited the above several times due to it not posting correctly.

Extra information- returning from Caribbean (and Florida)  to UK on certain dates in early January is often difficult, especially in business/first class, as flights for the Christmas period get booked up very quickly. We have had to delay return to the second week in January sometimes. 

I'm not sure how the Air Credit works. Do you book the flights and get a cash credit from SB or do they book the flights for you at a lower rate? 

Hot off the press.

Seabourn offer 400 sterling pp for air credit, you must book through your agent to secure the deal, no big deal however, I lowered my expectations to Premium economy. I looked at BA, 4,786 for two return.

So, I write to my agent showing him the price today, then I asked for the air credit to be applied, my TA came back with a price 100 pounds less than I could get?  

The screen shot said " you saved 400 pounds per person" How does that work then? So I wrote back to my TA asking him for an explanation, this was the reply.

Seabourn are only contracted to book certain ticket classes in comparison to the airline who have availability to all tickets. Before the air credit, the flights that Seabourn offering would originally be £2743.98 Per Person. As this is a promotion Seabourn are applying, the airline would not have the knowledge of the promotion.

 

All very confusing, but once again, thanks for your researching,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, fudge said:

Hot off the press.

Seabourn offer 400 sterling pp for air credit, you must book through your agent to secure the deal, no big deal however, I lowered my expectations to Premium economy. I looked at BA, 4,786 for two return.

So, I write to my agent showing him the price today, then I asked for the air credit to be applied, my TA came back with a price 100 pounds less than I could get?  

The screen shot said " you saved 400 pounds per person" How does that work then? So I wrote back to my TA asking him for an explanation, this was the reply.

Seabourn are only contracted to book certain ticket classes in comparison to the airline who have availability to all tickets. Before the air credit, the flights that Seabourn offering would originally be £2743.98 Per Person. As this is a promotion Seabourn are applying, the airline would not have the knowledge of the promotion.

 

All very confusing, but once again, thanks for your researching,

 

 

Thanks for this. We've tried to get Seabourn air quotes several times but so far we've had no luck. I know that others who fly out of the UK have had good prices from SB so we will keep trying!

I wasn't sure how the air credit worked, but did know about SB only being able to use certain ticket classes when they book the flights on a fare they've quoted.

 

As for air fares around Christmas and not being able to get home in early January,  we usually take a Seabourn cruise at that time, often a Caribbean cruise. Because of uncertainty about work commitments we aren't usually able to make our booking until July or later in the year, and trying to get available flights in business class with only six months to go is a nightmare. Barbados in particular is not easy to get flights so that's why we always try to be on a cruise that's departing from Miami. Loads more flight options from there. Obviously this information is no help to you if your cruise is departing from Barbados.

 

We're not even considering SB for Christmas this year, which is hugely disappointing,  because the Holiday cruise on Sojourn (from Miami) is too short and the other option is Odyssey which means flights to/from Barbados or St Maarten and I know they'll be hard to come by when we're able to book later in the year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this our 4th trip to Barbados albeit not over the Christmas period.

 

Last December we were on almost the exact same cruise however, this years cruise has a much better Itinerary, 1000 dollars OBC which pleases Mrs Fudge very much, 600 minutes of Internet.  May still go for the air credit but its a restricted ticket which means non changeable and non refundable. 

As you quite rightly pointed out economy is available,  we booked the exit doors last year so it wasn't bad, but trying to sleep on the return journey was painful.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, fudge said:

I think this our 4th trip to Barbados albeit not over the Christmas period.

 

Last December we were on almost the exact same cruise however, this years cruise has a much better Itinerary, 1000 dollars OBC which pleases Mrs Fudge very much, 600 minutes of Internet.  May still go for the air credit but its a restricted ticket which means non changeable and non refundable. 

As you quite rightly pointed out economy is available,  we booked the exit doors last year so it wasn't bad, but trying to sleep on the return journey was painful.  

 

Agree about the good itinerary on Odyssey this year for the 14 night cruise, plus it takes in a couple of my absolute favourites in the Caribbean, Terre de Haut Ile des Saintes, and Port Elizabeth, Bequia. I've been to both previously but never on the same cruise and would definitely like to revisit. 

I hope you soon get your flights sorted out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Isklaar said:

 

 

Thanks for this. We've tried to get Seabourn air quotes several times but so far we've had no luck. I know that others who fly out of the UK have had good prices from SB so we will keep trying!

I wasn't sure how the air credit worked, but did know about SB only being able to use certain ticket classes when they book the flights on a fare they've quoted.

 

As for air fares around Christmas and not being able to get home in early January,  we usually take a Seabourn cruise at that time, often a Caribbean cruise. Because of uncertainty about work commitments we aren't usually able to make our booking until July or later in the year, and trying to get available flights in business class with only six months to go is a nightmare. Barbados in particular is not easy to get flights so that's why we always try to be on a cruise that's departing from Miami. Loads more flight options from there. Obviously this information is no help to you if your cruise is departing from Barbados.

 

We're not even considering SB for Christmas this year, which is hugely disappointing,  because the Holiday cruise on Sojourn (from Miami) is too short and the other option is Odyssey which means flights to/from Barbados or St Maarten and I know they'll be hard to come by when we're able to book later in the year. 

It's as though you've been inside my mind as I plan our trips 😁

 

I pretty much ignore cruises which start or finish in more obscure ports not served by a choice of airlines. If you travel economy and are happy to book through Seabourn then all is well, but I find their business class fares very expensive. We probably have an upper limit of £3,000 per person and like to be around £2,500 for the air element. As people are discovering places like Barbados come in at closer to £6,000 per person. When you're booking 3 seats that makes a big dent.

 

Somewhere like Miami is easy. On a good day we can get Vigin upper class on miles but that needs military prescision. I've actually got the end of this year covered in and out of Hong Kong returning early Jan. Connecting flights to both Singapore and Thailand are easy and sensible so we have options but the Seabourn fare is a bit punchy so Thailand looks favourite but lets see how the next few months pan out...... I suspect we may see some flexibility as ships strive to re-establish the market !

Edited by Able Seaman H
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two years ago around Christmas we had a cruise to the Islands starting in New Zealand.   We made the error of booking the return flights from Adelaide  through Seabourn as a promotional offer, only a saving of around $300 below our agents price, still a saving is a saving!.

 

However, closer to Christmas, and shortly before final payment,  there was a price reduction of several thousand dollars, which our agent applied for.   The rub was, in cancelling and re-booking the cruise we would also be losing the total cost of flights as arranged by Seabourn. 

 

Then trying to re-book at Christmas would have been difficult, and we expect more costly.

 

So, since then we would never lock ourselves into their flight offers, keeping ones options open is much better!.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...