Currency to take for French Polynesia & Samoa

debsjc

Just thinking about if we should get some local currency in advance before we leave the UK, we have 3 stops in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea & Bora Bora) and then also Samoa.

….. should I buy some Pacific Franc (XPF) and Samoan Tala or do cruisers usually just take USD?  

On 1/5/2020 at 5:04 AM, debsjc said:

Just thinking about if we should get some local currency in advance before we leave the UK, we have 3 stops in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea & Bora Bora) and then also Samoa.

….. should I buy some Pacific Franc (XPF) and Samoan Tala or do cruisers usually just take USD?  

Only answering for FP as that's all the experience I have. But we like to have some XPF with us as over the years have found some small vendors won't take euros, USD or credit cards. Also the exchange for euros or USD to XPF at shops, as TBK points out is slightly not in your favor. There are ATM's on every island close to the ports- in Papeete, Moorea or Bora Bora. We always carry about 10000XPF with us to be safe.

Edited by Petoonya

8 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Only answering for FP as that's all the experience I have. But we like to have some XPF with us as over the years have found some small vendors won't take euros, USD or credit cards. Also the exchange for euros or USD to XPF at shops, as TBK points out is slightly not in your favor. There are ATM's on every island close to the ports- in Papeete, Moorea or Bora Bora. We always carry about 10000XPF with us to be safe.

Petoonya  ...

Are you on the March sailing on the Jewel?

15 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

No   .... I'll be on the PG but the Jewel and the PG will be in FP at the same time

Got it! You really had me there for a moment. That's too bad- would be great to meet you too.

• 10 months later...

imo if a person is in port just one day ,there should be a common denominator  about what currency is best . Example we are  doing a repositioning cruise from Auckland to LA  on Emerald Princess  April 7 ,2022   .We stop in Pago Pago ,Bora Bora &  Papeete   .so what is then the best currency  ? Can we use US dollars & credit cards are the easiest  . 

What is best & simplest method ? 

TIA

9 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Obviously US$ in Pago Pago.  In French Polynesia they grudgingly accept US$ but prefer Euros if paying in foreign currencies.  Most places will take cards.  You do not need small change as tipping in FP is not necessary.

On 11/28/2020 at 5:46 AM, mcrcruiser said:

imo if a person is in port just one day ,there should be a common denominator  about what currency is best . Example we are  doing a repositioning cruise from Auckland to LA  on Emerald Princess  April 7 ,2022   .We stop in Pago Pago ,Bora Bora &  Papeete   .so what is then the best currency  ? Can we use US dollars & credit cards are the easiest  . 

What is best & simplest method ? 

TIA

n Bora Bora and Papeete there are banks/ATMS within one block of the tie off or tender drop off. 

Fletcher ... we are some of the last hold outs on the tipping protocol in FP. I'm with you, we do not tip in FP but in reality any local under the age of 35 is now expecting a tip unless it's at a fine restaurant where the tip is already in the bill ... darn fellow Americans. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

Keep in mind there was considerable talk to limit the cruise ship passenger count to no more than 1000 total on the island at any given time. This was to start in 2022  .... have no idea if the covid situation placed this on the back burner but I would at least verify if the Emerald Princess will be affected 😉