Cruise Critic Community
Iamthesea

Zuiderdam - Any bad Signature or Neptune Suites?

From reading the boards, I know that there are coveted Signature and Neptune Suites, but are there any that one would not want to be assigned? 

It's been a while since we sailed on this class of ship.  Thinking about a GTY fare.

Thank you!

Well I certainly wouldn’t want to be under the Lido pool area where they take up and put down chairs every day and night (Signature Suite) and, I wouldn’t want an HC cabin.

I tend to be a tad fussy and would want a Signature suite on deck 6.  I don’t know of bad

Neptune suites although I wouldn’t want an accessible one.  but, if you are booking a guarantee Signature suite, I doubt you will end up in a Neptune.  HAL will do upsells before they do guarantee upgrades 😉 

2 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

From reading the boards, I know that there are coveted Signature and Neptune Suites, but are there any that one would not want to be assigned? 

It's been a while since we sailed on this class of ship.  Thinking about a GTY fare.

Thank you!

First, be sure that your TA cannot book you an exact cabin, even at the lowest fare.  We just booked a SC Neptune cabin at the Neptune guarantee price - it is right next to an SA cabin on deck 7 (same deck as the Neptune Lounge), so we were very happy with that!

If that does not work, here are my negative feelings on some Signature cabins on this class of ship - I would avoid 5001 and 5002 as these SY cabins are forward facing ones on deck 5 (I would be concerned about the "movement" in rough weather, but I have never experienced these cabins first hand.  Also would avoid 8068 and 8073 due to being right next to the exterior glass elevators, with people being able to see onto your balcony.  Third, I would avoid the SY cabins located Forward of the midship elevators on deck 8, as you can sometimes hear noises from the pool area above.  None of these are "deal killers" to me, but others might disagree - it just depends on your likes/dislikes.

As to Neptunes, I like to at least be on the same deck (7) as the Neptune Lounge. but again not next to the midship exterior elevators.  I dislike the deck 6 Neptunes due to the walk to the Lounge (but again, not a deal killer).  Then there are the "aft-wraps" - some people LOVE these, other hate them.  I think the cabins are a bit smaller than the other Neptunes (but not certain of this), it is a long walk to the Lounge, and there is more movement (IMO) in rough weather.  I like the deck 5 ones, with the HUGE balconies (can fit 40 people on them - we have done this).  I think the best "value" Neptunes for the money are the 4 SC cabins, since they are still on deck 7 and next to other SAs, plus the price difference is often noticeable.

In summary, FOR ME, there are certain Signature and Neptune that I prefer over others (favorite being Neptune near the Lounge), but there are none that I absolutely would not sail in.  

Posted (edited)

One more thing - if you book a Signature there is a good chance that you will get an upsell offer to a Neptune (we have gotten them on about 90% of our Signature category cruises on this class ship), so in a sense booking a Signature guarantee and then watching of an upsell to a Neptune is a great strategy.  As Kazu says, fairly unlikely to get a free upgrade, as HAL will deeply discount before giving away for free (but it does happen) Signature to Neptune upgrades.  

Edited by DaveOKC

Posted (edited)

Another vote for NOT under the Lido pool on deck 8. They start early in the morning (7ish) and usually finish moving loungers about 9 pm. I would go for the section under the carpeted Lido Market Place - if you want to be on 8. 

Also I'm a star gazer - and the Lido overhang is a bit intrusive for this - also Deck 8.

This referring to the Vista class Signature suites - I have not tried Neptune yet.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Here are my comments on Zuiderdam Room 7093 - SB Neptune from a previous trip report with pictures.

First Impressions:

Our cabin is on the hump. I chose this one specifically for the balcony. First impressions are mixed. I do not like that the hallway door opens directly into the room but I do like the balcony. I notice that the balcony is not as deep as the SA’s in mid-ship but we have a wide-angle view and I like that. The bad news is that sound carries from the hallway to our bed because it is not tucked around the wall. As well, the couch is a small pull-out in the corner. It is very uncomfortable. There aren’t as many drawers and shelves as the Neptune Suites on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The color scheme is different too. I am not much into purples and browns, so the Nieuw Amsterdam wins the decor category for me. I withhold final judgement on this room until the end of our cruise.

Final Impressions:

We absolutely loved the forward-facing wrapped balcony and made much more use of it than we have any other balcony. Both of us preferred the traditional configuration of the SA Neptunes, however, including the larger and more comfortable couch. The noise from the hall — directly across from the crew workspace — was sometimes bothersome. But all was quiet after 9:00 pm and, really, how much time do you spend in your room anyway? I would not be unhappy to get this room again.

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

But all was quiet after 9:00 pm and, really, how much time do you spend in your room anyway? 

Sometimes a lot.  Especially if it is a Signature Suite or Neptune, that is why we book them.

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

First, be sure that your TA cannot book you an exact cabin, even at the lowest fare.  We just booked a SC Neptune cabin at the Neptune guarantee price - it is right next to an SA cabin on deck 7 (same deck as the Neptune Lounge), so we were very happy with that!

If that does not work, here are my negative feelings on some Signature cabins on this class of ship - I would avoid 5001 and 5002 as these SY cabins are forward facing ones on deck 5 (I would be concerned about the "movement" in rough weather, but I have never experienced these cabins first hand.  Also would avoid 8068 and 8073 due to being right next to the exterior glass elevators, with people being able to see onto your balcony.  Third, I would avoid the SY cabins located Forward of the midship elevators on deck 8, as you can sometimes hear noises from the pool area above.  None of these are "deal killers" to me, but others might disagree - it just depends on your likes/dislikes.

As to Neptunes, I like to at least be on the same deck (7) as the Neptune Lounge. but again not next to the midship exterior elevators.  I dislike the deck 6 Neptunes due to the walk to the Lounge (but again, not a deal killer).  Then there are the "aft-wraps" - some people LOVE these, other hate them.  I think the cabins are a bit smaller than the other Neptunes (but not certain of this), it is a long walk to the Lounge, and there is more movement (IMO) in rough weather.  I like the deck 5 ones, with the HUGE balconies (can fit 40 people on them - we have done this).  I think the best "value" Neptunes for the money are the 4 SC cabins, since they are still on deck 7 and next to other SAs, plus the price difference is often noticeable.

In summary, FOR ME, there are certain Signature and Neptune that I prefer over others (favorite being Neptune near the Lounge), but there are none that I absolutely would not sail in.  

I agree! And you're right, the aft wrap cabins are a little smaller. The way they connect to the hallway creates an entry area that's wasted space, so the space you use is smaller. But, IMO, those balconies make up for it!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, kazu said:

Well I certainly wouldn’t want to be under the Lido pool area where they take up and put down chairs every day and night (Signature Suite) and, I wouldn’t want an HC cabin.

I tend to be a tad fussy and would want a Signature suite on deck 6.  I don’t know of bad

Neptune suites although I wouldn’t want an accessible one.  but, if you are booking a guarantee Signature suite, I doubt you will end up in a Neptune.  HAL will do upsells before they do guarantee upgrades 😉 

No, it would be a GTY in one or the other categories.  However, we also do not want to be under a pool area (I have not yet looked at the deck plans) and would consider booking a said stateroom.  TY

Thank you all for the suggestions and explanations of layouts on the Vista class...very helpful!!!  As I mentioned, it has been about 12 years since we were on the Noordam (2008 in a standard VF.)  Before that, our first HAL cruise, was the Oosterdam (2005 in a Signature.)  More recently the Eurodam (2010 in a standard V) and then the N Amsterdam in December of 2019 - SS.  I agree that the N Amsterdam had the best stateroom decor.  Was hoping that the updated Zuiderdam would have the same. 😞 

Edited by Iamthesea