Jump to content

Christmas on the Indy cancelled


Recommended Posts

Turkey for Christmas dinner is very common in Canada and I too would have been expecting to see this as one of the options served in the dining room on Christmas Day.    

 

I get that the majority of passengers on a Caribbean cruise are Americans; however, the number of Brits, Irish & Canadians onboard is usually fairly high as well.  Seeing as how the dining room offers several entrees each night, I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't offer a traditional turkey dinner as an option given that there would have been a large number of Irish/Canadians/Brits onboard.

 

At the very least I would expect a special menu on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day and not the normal Tuesday/Wednesday rotation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maryann2 said:

For a traditional English Christmas try Cunard.

Mince pies Christmas pudding Christmas cake Turkey Goose etc etc.  Carols on Christmas Eve. Everyone received a gift from Santa (China cup and saucer)

I sailed over Christmas 2018 Canary Islands and Lisbon.

They have occasional promotions. It was not expensive $600 solo price for 12 days

12 days $600 for Solo wow. That was the Christmas gift.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 2:19 PM, John&LaLa said:

 

Definitely Specialty 

 

FWIW, I was mainly supporting GD's premise that Americans often eat beef for Christmas 

 

Lordy and here I was thinking she cooked that at her house....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, compman9 said:

 

 

"EXACT"

 

I was merely hoping for what is generally regarded as Christmas Dinner to be one of the options in the main dining room, just as every other cruise line seems to do

 

Good grief

 

 

Thank you for this info about what a RC Christmas is like. Its definately put me off going on a cruise at Christmas. I too would of thought that they would of put more effort into celebrating what is (in the UK at least and in my opinion) the biggest and most important holiday of the year. Obviously it isn't celebrated by everyone but surprised they did so little. I would definately of expected a special dinner with turkey and Xmas pud as one of the options. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:


 

Op - I can understand your disappointment but I think the gap is between what you expected and reality, rather than what was promised and reality. 

And yet as MellowMel says earlier in this thread, Oasis put on a fine Christmas spread and celebrations. So if they can do it then why not other RC ships. I totally would of had expectations of a 'special' cruise, especially with the higher prices charged for cruising at this time of year. So thanks to the OP for this thread, I totally know now not to book a Christmas cruise as I too would of been disappointed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, maryann2 said:

For a traditional English Christmas try Cunard.

Mince pies Christmas pudding Christmas cake Turkey Goose etc etc.  Carols on Christmas Eve. Everyone received a gift from Santa (China cup and saucer)

I sailed over Christmas 2018 Canary Islands and Lisbon.

They have occasional promotions. It was not expensive $600 solo price for 12 days

I seem to remember this was a pricing error which Cunard honoured, it's unlikely anyone would be able to repeat the experience at that price on Cunard.

But they do make a big deal of Christmas !

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, matj2000 said:

Lasagna is our family Xmas tradition....

Lasagna is our family Christmas Day dinner too. A lovely antipasto is served first followed by Lasagna and meatballs and sausage. This has been our family tradition for as long as I can remember.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 5:13 PM, bouhunter said:

Turkey is about as exciting as bologna.  Be thankful it wasn't served.

It's not the turkey that is the star of the meal, it is all the sides. I do love turkey when it is nice and juicy, however, the candied yams, home made cranberry sauce and Italian style stuffed mushrooms (YUM), are what elevates the meal. I so look forward to Thanksgiving every year. We have never had a turkey meal on Christmas.

Edited by coffeebean
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, scotlady said:

And I think a couple of you might be, maybe, a little harsh in your comments to the OP?  I didn't read anything in the post about them saying their Christmas was entirely ruined - just that they wouldn't do a Christmas cruise on RCL again....

No, the OP didn't say their Christmas was entirely ruined....the OP said their Christmas was CANCELLED!!! That's even worse than "ruined".

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what I have learned from this thread is that Christmas day is nowhere near as big a deal in the US as it is in the UK (and some other countries). Certainly in the town where I live barely anything is open, no shops or takeaway, hotels and restaurants are but only for those who have prebooked (a traditional Christmas dinner). I don't think even McDonalds is open.

 

If we're ever considering a Christmas cruise I think P and O or Cunard may be worth thinking about even though they are normally not top of my list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kernow said:

I think what I have learned from this thread is that Christmas day is nowhere near as big a deal in the US as it is in the UK (and some other countries). Certainly in the town where I live barely anything is open, no shops or takeaway, hotels and restaurants are but only for those who have prebooked (a traditional Christmas dinner). I don't think even McDonalds is open.

 

If we're ever considering a Christmas cruise I think P and O or Cunard may be worth thinking about even though they are normally not top of my list.

 

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. 

Christmas is huge, it's just that we had a massive turkey dinner a month earlier.

 

As far as the chinese restaurant, that's the ending of a popular movie. A Christmas Story.

Interesting enough, the ruined Christmas dinner was a turkey

Edited by John&LaLa
Link to post
Share on other sites

We did Christmas 2018 on Freedom and there was quite an expansive Christmas Day dinner. It started with some regular menu items but also included turkey, ham and beef wellington. Baked brie was a special appetizer. But I do agree desserts were nothing special. We did enjoy the dinner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. 

 

Just the reaction by many Americans to the OPs post. Most people don't seem bothered or surprised that there was no special dinner (turkey or otherwise)whereas most Brits would expect one just because it's Christmas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kernow said:

Just the reaction by many Americans to the OPs post. Most people don't seem bothered or surprised that there was no special dinner (turkey or otherwise)whereas most Brits would expect one just because it's Christmas.

 

Wasn't there one served Christmas Eve. The OP just missed it

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 12:54 AM, Merion_Mom said:

You are all wrong.

 

The traditional Christmas dinner is Chinese food.

 

😄  😄 😄

Having been born and bred in Brooklyn I can say that is correct and one of the busiest days in most Chinese restaurants back in the day.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having turkey for me would be a plus, since I don't care for turkey. Our Christmas dinner is ham. How can someone make such a big deal of not having turkey on Christmas is a new one on me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I seem to remember this was a pricing error which Cunard honoured, it's unlikely anyone would be able to repeat the experience at that price on Cunard.

But they do make a big deal of Christmas !

Yes we thought it must be a glitch.

However not so sure now as Cunard does have special promotions. Have another one booked in November 2020.

Queen Elizabeth Singapore to Sydney 14 days -  $1000 solo including $200 OBC

The solo promotions only last a few days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Christmas on the Brilliance was delightful. A lovely, specially written Christmas menu was presented on  a "souvenir" decorative parchment. Yes, you could have  traditional "fully dressed" Christmas dinner. Along with the usual decorations, thoughtful touches were everywhere.

 

One day, it was a massive holiday cake in the Windjammer. On Christmas Eve, there was a large gathering of staff, crew, and guests singing Christmas carols in the centrum. Christmas morning, servers circulated with tasty egg nog (with or without rum), your choice. Santa distributed gifts to the children, accompanied by production staff dancers dressed as elves.

 

Seems to me, the cruise was bursting with holiday spirit. For a turkey dinner that I didn't have to prepare myself, it was definitely good. And it was the same experience last year and the year before! Perhaps, the smaller ships just do it better?

Edited by AC Stew
spelling error
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 11:30 PM, time4u2go said:

I didn't realize it was up to the cruise line to "make" Christmas. 

 

As far as your ridiculous claim of turkey being necessary, you only need to look at the responses in this thread to realize how wrong you are.

 

"Ridiculous Claim"

 

As it has now emerged that Royal included traditional Christmas dinner on other cruises it is far from "ridiculous"

 

Your insult is however noted, but if you haven;t got anything constructive to offer you can keep your opinions to yourself

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 12:23 AM, John&LaLa said:

 

Not at all, but Thanksgiving is all about Turkey.

Probably why few want it again

 

I repeat - America is not the only country in the world and the cruise did not just feature American passengers

 

Along with the inhabitants of the other 195 countries, I could not care less about your Thanksgiving - I would however, gladly eat your celebratory meal on the day and not insult British people for expecting Christmas dinner rather than a normal day three dinner that would feature on any other cruise throughout the year

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Not having turkey for me would be a plus, since I don't care for turkey. Our Christmas dinner is ham. How can someone make such a big deal of not having turkey on Christmas is a new one on me.

 

Bizarre comment, and again completely Americacentric

 

The lack of acknowledgement for the traditions of other cultures is staggering

 

It also seems that most if not all other Royal ships included a traditional Christmas dinner in the main dining room

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, compman9 said:

 

I repeat - America is not the only country in the world and the cruise did not just feature American passengers

 

Along with the inhabitants of the other 195 countries, I could not care less about your Thanksgiving - I would however, gladly eat your celebratory meal on the day and not insult British people for expecting Christmas dinner rather than a normal day three dinner that would feature on any other cruise throughout the year

 

Where did your cruise depart?

Was it a short cruise?

 

Sorry, I'm not up to speed on Indy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, compman9 said:

 

Bizarre comment, and again completely Americacentric

 

The lack of acknowledgement for the traditions of other cultures is staggering

 

It also seems that most if not all other Royal ships included a traditional Christmas dinner in the main dining room

Well, if you want to really go traditional, since the Captain is most certainly from Norway (at least on our last several cruises) then all should eat Lutefisk in honor of the Captain. If you are not familiar with it my grandmother would always make it for Christmas. We ate it (although most of us didn't like it very much). Google it. Now I would appreciated the lefse on the table and meatballs, and still enjoy those "traditional" and "cultural" foods.

 

I think what most of the people here were trying to say,  is if you sail out of a US port you will most likely get US related food. If we were sailing out of a European port I would expect to see more of what the area offered.

 

Go back to my spaghetti on Christmas story. It isn't what you eat- it is who you are with and the memories you make. We too had spent a ton of money to spend Christmas at the "happiest place on Earth" but weren't staying on property. I guess we could have been really angry at the entire community of Orlando for not having either restaurants or grocery stores open on Christmas Day near our condo but we made spaghetti from Walgreens and enjoyed our family. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...