Guaranty downgrade on Liberty of the Seas

We booked a 7-day cruise on Liberty of the Seas, sailing this Sunday (January 12).  We wanted a Grand Suite and the only option available was the Grand Suite Guaranty, which I went ahead and booked several months ago.  Today, less than a week out from sailing, I got a call from the RCI Revenue department, saying there are no Grand Suites available, but they will refund us 50% of what we paid if we will accept a Junior Suite.  The problem I have with this is that, even with 50% off, I won't be paying much less than what a Junior Suite typically costs, plus I will be taking pot luck on which Junior Suite I get.  Also, I'll miss out on all the Grand Suite extras, like the happy hour every night (which saves us a ton on drinks). 

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so would you please let me know how you resolved it?  We will be Emerald status after this cruise, plus we have another 10-day cruise booked for later this year.  I would think RCI would want to take care of us, and personally I think what they are offering so far is pathetic.  I'm ready to cancel the entire cruise, plus cancel our next cruise and go with another cruise line altogether.  Thoughts?  Negotiating tactics?

4 minutes ago, LAVCruiser said:

We booked a 7-day cruise on Liberty of the Seas, sailing this Sunday (January 12).  We wanted a Grand Suite and the only option available was the Grand Suite Guaranty, which I went ahead and booked several months ago.  Today, less than a week out from sailing, I got a call from the RCI Revenue department, saying there are no Grand Suites available, but they will refund us 50% of what we paid if we will accept a Junior Suite.  The problem I have with this is that, even with 50% off, I won't be paying much less than what a Junior Suite typically costs, plus I will be taking pot luck on which Junior Suite I get.  Also, I'll miss out on all the Grand Suite extras, like the happy hour every night (which saves us a ton on drinks). 

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so would you please let me know how you resolved it?  We will be Emerald status after this cruise, plus we have another 10-day cruise booked for later this year.  I would think RCI would want to take care of us, and personally I think what they are offering so far is pathetic.  I'm ready to cancel the entire cruise, plus cancel our next cruise and go with another cruise line altogether.  Thoughts?  Negotiating tactics?

Negotiate with them.  I would make sure I got the benefits that a Grand Suite comes with along with a cash refund, not a future cruise credit.  I would also try to pick the JS that I would be getting.

I was booked in a Grand Suite on Liberty sailing November 17th and got a similar offer via phone message but never replied or accepted the offer. Mine was not a gty category. 
Did you accept the offer?  Did they say you have to downgrade?  Was it GS or better gty or a JS or better gty?  

We also purchased the trip insurance through RCI (their vacation protection plan).  Does that make any difference?  I'm not sure that it would cover an overbooking situation, but maybe it does?

6 minutes ago, LAVCruiser said:

Did you book directly with RC or did you use a TA?  If a TA, that person needs to go to bat for you. 

If you booked directly, you CAN negotiate. Tell them you understand that they have overbooked, but you are not willing to take their offer. Tell them to try someone else. You can also make a counter offer:  we will take the JS and the 50% off, but you must give us Gold SeaPass cards and give us all of the perks that come with it. 

Just now, HicksRA said:

I was booked in a Grand Suite on Liberty sailing November 17th and got a similar offer via phone message but never replied or accepted the offer. Mine was not a gty category. 
Did you accept the offer?  Did they say you have to downgrade?  Was it GS or better gty or a JS or better gty?  

It is a Grand Suite Guaranty - GS or better.  I did not accept the offer.  In fact, I called back and said that I would NOT accept it.  So now the Revenue person says she is calling others and trying to resolve this for me.  I just have a bad feeling that the "resolution" is going to be "take it or leave it." 

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Did you book directly with RC or did you use a TA?  If a TA, that person needs to go to bat for you. 

If you booked directly, you CAN negotiate. Tell them you understand that they have overbooked, but you are not willing to take their offer. Tell them to try someone else. You can also make a counter offer:  we will take the JS and the 50% off, but you must give us Gold SeaPass cards and give us all of the perks that come with it. 

I booked it myself on the web site.  I have wondered about asking for the Gold SeaPass card.  My hesitation is that the person on the phone can promise anything, but when I get to the port and check in, who knows?  What if the person checking us in doesn't abide by what the person on the phone says?  All the person at the port will know is that I have a JS and so then what do I do?

14 minutes ago, LAVCruiser said:

I booked it myself on the web site.  I have wondered about asking for the Gold SeaPass card.  My hesitation is that the person on the phone can promise anything, but when I get to the port and check in, who knows?  What if the person checking us in doesn't abide by what the person on the phone says?  All the person at the port will know is that I have a JS and so then what do I do?

If you get them to accept the counter offer of the gold seapass card and 50% off the JS I would just make sure you get those terms in writing before getting off the phone with them. Whenever I have had to have some resolved or changed with Royal on the phone I have the rep email me the changes and I double check the changes while still on the phone with them.

Good luck to you!

29 minutes ago, LAVCruiser said:

We paid about $4300 for the GS.  I'm guessing 50% off means we would end up paying about $2150 for a JS.  I don't have a firm number from RCI yet, they just said 50% off.

I did not know a GS guarantee even existed, I've never seen it, only the suite guarantee category which I did book on Liberty a couple years back. If that price for the JS is per person, not good, but if that is total for 2, that is a good price. You know, for the price difference you could easily afford the drink package for both of you and still be paying less. You won't miss the nightly cocktail hour at all if you have the drink package. Maybe tell them you'll except the offer if they'll throw in the drink package.

Edited by blackshirt
1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

I did not know a GS guarantee even existed, I've never seen it, only the suite guarantee category which I did book on Liberty a couple years back. If that price for the JS is per person, not good, but if that is total for 2, that is a good price. You know, for the price difference you could easily afford the drink package for both of you and still be paying less. You won't miss the nightly cocktail hour at all if you have the drink package. Maybe tell them you'll except the offer if they'll throw in the drink package.

The Grand Suite Guarantee option does exist. I know as I have taken advantage of it for a cruise on the Anthem of the Seas for an 11 day sailing. Unlike the OP, I was awarded a Sky Loft Suite when then assigned suites (and this cruise is sold out). Trust me when I say that I have been looking and will continue to look for another opportunity like this on this ship and others going forward. With respect to the OP situation, I would not accept anything lower than a GS or the perks associated with the GS (and a couple of other things thrown in...just for upsetting me) as they did BUY the guarantee and now they are showing me a classic case of "Bait and Switch". I do think there was a law against this sort of thing at some time. Not that you can successfully sue them, but you can share the story with various media outlets (local news, Today Show, the View, the Talk, CNN, Fox, AARP, Ellen, Oprah and even a youtube video or maybe all the above). One of these media outlets will be passed along to the top people at RCCL.

2 hours ago, blackshirt said:

Yes, the GS guaranty does exist, although it's rare.  My Ticket has a Stateroom # of GTY and a Category of GS.  As far as price, I don't have an exact number from RCI.  We had booked with a Buy One, Get One at Half Off special and so I'm not sure how they would calculate 50% off.  The prices I am using are for two people.  So maybe around $2150 total for two of us in a JS (that's before taxes, fees, etc.).  The problem I have with this is that we sailed on Liberty of the Seas about a year ago in a JS and paid around $2500 total for a JS.  So they are basically offering me only about a $350 discount from what I would normally pay for a JS and I have no idea of the location or anything else.  That is a pathetic offer.  Don't give me a JS for half the price of a GS - give me a JS for half the normal price of a JS and then MAYBE we have a starting point for a negotiations!

First of all, I'm not a RC cheerleader or employee, just a cruise lover.  This isn't bait and switch no more than how airlines overbook planes.  Their history shows that a certain percentage will cancel/change categories etc so of course they overbook, its simple business forecasting...sometimes  it doesn't work...so they start offering concessions to get out of it.  Stick to your guns as far as what you want, they'll keep going down the list until they find someone willing to accept the concessions they're willing to give.  If they end up back to you, look for a good FCC to get out of it.

4 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

First of all, I'm not a RC cheerleader or employee, just a cruise lover.  This isn't bait and switch no more than how airlines overbook planes.  Their history shows that a certain percentage will cancel/change categories etc so of course they overbook, its simple business forecasting...sometimes  it doesn't work...so they start offering concessions to get out of it.  Stick to your guns as far as what you want, they'll keep going down the list until they find someone willing to accept the concessions they're willing to give.  If they end up back to you, look for a good FCC to get out of it.

No way he should accept a FCC.  He should get a cash refund and receive all the benefits of a GS at a minimum.

1 minute ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

You are right, of course.  This isn't personal, it was a business decision by RCI to overbook the cruise and now they have a business problem they need to fix.  And . . . it's certainly not the end of the world if I have to travel in a JS rather than a GS (talk about your first world problems).  But I am going to stick to my guns and demand what I can precisely because this is a business decision.  And businesses that make decisions that don't pan out need to take care of their customers, especially their good customers (which I am).  RCI is a huge company that can afford to treat me right, and if they don't, then I am free to take my cruise dollars to another company in the future. They could comp my room 100% and they will still make money off of me on this cruise (drinks, excursions, food, coffee, etc.).  So I'll see how they handle it, and make my future cruise decisions based on how I'm treated.

Just now, LAVCruiser said:

What is FCC? 

FCC is a future cruise credit.  The cruise line issues those as a good will gesture when there is a problem or if you cancel.  You should get money back, not a credit to be used on a future cruise.

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

FCC is a future cruise credit.  The cruise line issues those as a good will gesture when there is a problem or if you cancel.  You should get money back, not a credit to be used on a future cruise.

Thanks!  I agree, I want a refund back on my credit card if they downgrade me. 

4 minutes ago, LAVCruiser said:

Thanks!  I agree, I want a refund back on my credit card if they downgrade me. 

There is a good chance that you aren't the only one in this situation and they will try to find someone to take the deal and you get the one GS that they have in their pocket.  Be prepared with what you want when they call again and don't be afraid to move up the food chain and talk to someone else that can give you what you want.