Cruise Critic Community
MsSoCalCruiser

MedallionClass App doesn’t work well on my iPhone 6...

So... I bought a new phone! 

But now what? When I get my new phone tomorrow do I just put the app on my new phone and everything transfers over or is this going to be a headache?  Will some of you techies please help me?  Thank you!

30 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

So... I bought a new phone! 

But now what? When I get my new phone tomorrow do I just put the app on my new phone and everything transfers over or is this going to be a headache?  Will some of you techies please help me?  Thank you!

We have 4 iPhone 6 phones in the family.

The Medallion installed with no issues on all of them.

Yes on your new phone download the app and info should still be there.

16 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We have 4 iPhone 6 phones in the family.

The Medallion installed with no issues on all of them.

Yes on your new phone download the app and info should still be there.

Thank you, Colo Cruiser.  On both of my Royal Princess cruises the lead navigator couldn’t get my phone to work and thought it was an issue with the iPhone 6. Does your family have a 6 or a 6S?   I just bought the  XS. My iPhone 6 was my one and only smart phone that I have ever owned...  Change is hard.

When I bought my Samsung 8, I was able to download via Google all my apps and data such as Contacts.  I would think Apple has something to help transition over to a new Phone.  But then, Android is better anyway, right?  Right?  😁

apple to apple is super easy, when i upgraded, everything copied over, apps installed.  you will likely need to log in on the new phone.

but if you are concerned, the fruitstand(apple store) can help you set up new phone.  make sure current phone is backed up to icloud.

Your information is saved on the app, not your device, install the app and log in and the info will be there.

I also had an iPhone 6 (not 6s) and it still worked, but barely. My daughter bought me an 8 for Xmas and all I had to do was take the sim card out of my 6 and put it in the 8. Everything transferred exactly as it was on my 6 including all my apps. I did make sure that everything I needed was backed up in iCloud.

I am so thrilled with my new phone (clearly, I was holding out too). The improvement is amazing and I only have an 8. I can't even imagine the differences a XS will bring to you. 

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you, Colo Cruiser.  On both of my Royal Princess cruises the lead navigator couldn’t get my phone to work and thought it was an issue with the iPhone 6. Does your family have a 6 or a 6S?   I just bought the  XS. My iPhone 6 was my one and only smart phone that I have ever owned...  Change is hard.

2 6's and 2 6splus

I have an iPhone 5SE and the app works fine on it.  I keep the phone up to date with each OS update.  Could an old OS be the problem?  (I love the small size of the phone, so I don’t want to give it up.)

5 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

I have an iPhone 5SE and the app works fine on it.  I keep the phone up to date with each OS update.  Could an old OS be the problem?  (I love the small size of the phone, so I don’t want to give it up.)

I have a 6SE and also love the small size.  No desire to upgrade.  I'm not on it a lot.  EM

On 1/6/2020 at 11:45 PM, vampiress said:

apple to apple is super easy, when i upgraded, everything copied over, apps installed.  you will likely need to log in on the new phone.

but if you are concerned, the fruitstand(apple store) can help you set up new phone.  make sure current phone is backed up to icloud.

Yes, it was super easy.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

2 6's and 2 6splus

If I would have had the 6S I would have been OK but I just had the straight six. I should be OK on my next cruise because now I have the XS.   I hope the same navigator is working on my cruise because she will be so happy that I have a new phone.  I had my last phone for about five years so I’m sure that I will have this one just as long. 

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2020 at 12:22 AM, steelers36 said:

But then, Android is better anyway, right?  Right?  😁

Umm, No! :classic_smile:

Edited by Coral

On 1/7/2020 at 11:19 AM, SLC1954 said:

This phone is pretty old. I would look at upgrading. It no longer will receive iOS updates.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:26 AM, hllwdcruiser said:

I also had an iPhone 6 (not 6s) and it still worked, but barely. My daughter bought me an 8 for Xmas and all I had to do was take the sim card out of my 6 and put it in the 8. Everything transferred exactly as it was on my 6 including all my apps. I did make sure that everything I needed was backed up in iCloud.

I am so thrilled with my new phone (clearly, I was holding out too). The improvement is amazing and I only have an 8. I can't even imagine the differences a XS will bring to you. 

It has facial recognition. I got to my car, sat down to use my phone and did not have to key in a code. I walked back in and I said that something was wrong and my phone wasn’t locking; they laughed and said it’s recognizing your face. Cool.

55 minutes ago, Coral said:

This phone is pretty old. I would look at upgrading. It no longer will receive iOS updates.

Neither is the 6. I had to finally give in and get a new phone. 

MsSoCalCruiser,  glad you medallion class app is working with your new phone.  The iphone Ten series are awesome.  

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

If I would have had the 6S I would have been OK but I just had the straight six. I should be OK on my next cruise because now I have the XS.   I hope the same navigator is working on my cruise because she will be so happy that I have a new phone.  I had my last phone for about five years so I’m sure that I will have this one just as long. 

Yeah I still have a 6s Plus.

I purchased from Apple so I could use any sim cards in any country I was in.

With Apple care it was $1300 about 4 1/2 years ago.

I want to keep it as long as I can before shelling out another $1000 for a new one.

So far so good.

Since my relatively new Canon $500 camera went kaput I use the phone for all my photos now.

Think I have over 30,000 in the cloud up to now.

ah the xs is a nice phone.  i only upgraded to the 11 pro because bf needed to update his phone, and didn't care about the camera in the current model, so he took over my xs, and i got an 11pro. both take really nice pictures, but i'm still looking to update my digital camera for my alaska cruise, because im a picture addict, and the phone just is not quite flexible enough for me.

I have both a XR and an 11 Pro.

The camera on the 11 Pro is absolutely amazing! It is worth the upgrade from the 11.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:26 AM, hllwdcruiser said:

Don’t  laugh but I had no idea my iPhone 6 had a Sim card. they didn’t say a word about that at the store. How do you find it and what do you do? 

On 1/9/2020 at 6:27 AM, AF-1 said:

MsSoCalCruiser,  glad you medallion class app is working with your new phone.  The iphone Ten series are awesome.  

I’m happy that I finally broke down and got a new phone (but I do miss my old six). My cruise isn’t for a few more weeks so I will update you then. I hope it works because it would be nice to have a soda brought to me while I’m watching the movies under the stars. That way I won’t have to worry about losing my seat when I get up to get a drink. 

5 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Don’t  laugh but I had no idea my iPhone 6 had a Sim card. they didn’t say a word about that at the store. How do you find it and what do you do? 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201337

Edited by Coral

8 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

As Colo Cruiser mentioned, you can take your SIM card out and replace it in any country (I think any country..) with that country's SIM card. For example, we go to Europe to visit family in Brussels every year. We just go into a mobile store, buy a SIM card with minutes and we are able to make phone calls, use gps etc without buying an expensive international package with our phone carrier. All we do is pop out the US SIM card and replace it with the one from Europe. When we get back to the States we just put back our US SIM card.

Once you locate where your SIM card is, it is relatively easy to pop it out with the end of a paperclip.

As far as getting a new phone, you do exactly the same thing, pop it out of your old phone and just put it in your new one. My daughter bought me my phone off the internet - it was unlocked for Verizon which is my carrier. It was slightly used but she got it at a bargain basement price. At first I balked at using a previously owned phone - but she said she figured I could use it for one year since all new phones are going to 5G next year. She figured this phone would just hold me over until then. Hahahaha. Knowing me, I'll end up using this phone until it dies like my 6 did!