Booking excursions online without using OBC

katz

When I booked excursions online for our last cruise, they were automatically (or at least I think they were) deducted from our OBCs.  I like to save our credits for onboard.

Did I miss something?  How do I book excursions online and pay for them with a credit cards now that we can use OBCs?

Thank you for helping this techno dummy!

It's all one big account with fungible contents.  One way or another, whatever you buy, either onboard or as shorex, it all goes on one side of the ledger.  On the other side are any OBC you have.  When the total of the purchases is greater than the OBC, no matter what the purchases, anything not covered by OBC goes on your credit card.  In one transaction at the end of the cruise, not as they are accrued.

There's no specific allocation, nor can I think of any reason why you would want such.   That would just make a simple process more complicated.

1 hour ago, katz said:

When I booked excursions online for our last cruise, they were automatically (or at least I think they were) deducted from our OBCs.  I like to save our credits for onboard.

Did I miss something?  How do I book excursions online and pay for them with a credit cards now that we can use OBCs?

Thank you for helping this techno dummy!

Even if this could be done I am not sure what the advantage would be.

Please explain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Even if this could be done I am not sure what the advantage would be.

Please explain.

Apparently they want to save their credits for onboard. My thinking is get rid of that non refundable stuff before I spend any real money. Our last trip we didn't take any excursions nor did we do La Reserve. We already had the Premium package by upgrading it. We had to buy a watch and some expensive sunglasses. I'd hate to have already spent real money and then have to spend OBC on something like that. 

30 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

It's all one big account with fungible contents.  One way or another, whatever you buy, either onboard or as shorex, it all goes on one side of the ledger.  On the other side are any OBC you have.  When the total of the purchases is greater than the OBC, no matter what the purchases, anything not covered by OBC goes on your credit card.  In one transaction at the end of the cruise, not as they are accrued.

There's no specific allocation, nor can I think of any reason why you would want such.   That would just make a simple process more complicated.

Plus, in the grand scheme of things, your non-refundable Oceania SBC always will be charged against before any TA provided refundable SBC.

I assume you.could call Oceania and do your pre-cruise purchasing totally with a credit card. But, short of some personal budgeting mumbo jumbo, why (other than earning some FF points).

35 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'd hate to have already spent real money and then have to spend OBC on something like that. 

Everything purchased goes on one side of the ledger.  The other side pays it off in this order:

Oceania OBCs

TA OBCs

Passenger payment by credit card and/or cash

So you really aren't spending "real money" until the credits are gone. 

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Everything purchased goes on one side of the ledger.  The other side pays it off in this order:

Oceania OBCs

TA OBCs

Passenger payment by credit card and/or cash

So you really aren't spending "real money" until the credits are gone. 

I understand that. I was referring to what the OP wants to do. Not my first Rodeo on cruising. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Apparently they want to save their credits for onboard.

That’s the part I don’t understand and am waiting to hear from OP about their reasoning.

Unless they have specific plans to spend that OBC they too may have to buy a watch & sunglasses with left-over OBC 😀

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

other than earning some FF points

I thought of that as well but whatever you spend during your cruise (whether it’s drinks, spa, excursions or gifts) and whatever your final balance would be, it would be considered a travel expense and thus qualify for max FF points (on my CC, anyway).

Any charges on the CC from Oceania would be considered travel expenses.

Edited by Paulchili

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.  No one really answered my question though.  I really don't feel like I have to explain myself, but I will anyway. We consider excursions to be part of the total  cruise price.    I like to keep my OBC's because it feels like "free" money.  That way, I can go to the salon and spa, play bingo, etc., and not feel like I am wasting "real" money.  Simple as that!  Excursions=real money.  Bingo=free money.  

• Like 1

You could use your OBC for the excursions in the normal way and then buy yourself a bon voyage gift of OBC for the same amount.

Would this work for you?

Or give O a call I'm sure they'd love to take extra money off your hands😂

2 hours ago, katz said:

Thank you, everyone, for your responses.  No one really answered my question though.  I really don't feel like I have to explain myself, but I will anyway. We consider excursions to be part of the total  cruise price.    I like to keep my OBC's because it feels like "free" money.  That way, I can go to the salon and spa, play bingo, etc., and not feel like I am wasting "real" money.  Simple as that!  Excursions=real money.  Bingo=free money.  

Try Regent.  The excursions are part of the cruise pricing.  So you can obtain your psychic reward about "free money".

A somewhat related subject and a new situation to me.

Being able to use OBC for pre-booking excursions is relatively new on Oceania.

I will have both refundable and non refundable OBC on one of my upcoming cruises.

Am I correct in assuming that they will AUTOMATICALLY use my non refundable OBC first for booking excursions rather than refundable OBC?

TIA

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

A somewhat related subject and a new situation to me.

Being able to use OBC for pre-booking excursions is relatively new on Oceania.

I will have both refundable and non refundable OBC on one of my upcoming cruises.

Am I correct in assuming that they will AUTOMATICALLY use my non refundable OBC first for booking excursions rather than refundable OBC?

TIA

Most, if not all, refundable SBC come from your TA or sources other than directly from Oceania and does not display in your online account (nor is it used for online pre-purchases).

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Most, if not all, refundable SBC come from your TA or sources other than directly from Oceania and does not display in your online account (nor is it used for online pre-purchases).

Thanks - good to know

OK- help me out here. And I apologize in advance for being such a dummy.

I really have trouble with OBC and SBC. I'm Bronze and I still don't get it.

We don't get Olife.

My husband has the beginnings of Alzheimer's. He is not knowledgeable about cruising, and goes along for the ride.

But he will be shocked that we have little credit except $100 for being Bronze. So I gifted ourselves $500 to make my husband content and buy himself a watch.

The $100 is OBC and it's nonrefundable, correct?

But the $500 I gifted my husband is SBC and refundable, also correct? Or do I have it upside down and backwards?

Thanks very much for your help! 🙂

Nancy

37 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

We don't get Olife.

My husband has the beginnings of Alzheimer's. He is not knowledgeable about cruising, and goes along for the ride.

But he will be shocked that we have little credit except $100 for being Bronze. So I gifted ourselves $500 to make my husband content and buy himself a watch.

But the $500 I gifted my husband is SBC and refundable, also correct? Or do I have it upside down and backwards?

Nancy

to me  OBC & SBC  are the same thing 

Your $500 gift  is refundable  but I think only on the last day of the cruise 

O will use  the Non refundable  OBC  first  then take any other $ from your Gifted OBC

Someone will correct me if wrong

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

to me  OBC & SBC  are the same thing 

Your $500 gift  is refundable  but I think only on the last day of the cruise 

O will use  the Non refundable  OBC  first  then take any other $ from your Gifted OBC

Someone will correct me if wrong

Help me again please and thank you!

That $100 shows on my O invoice. The $500 does not and that is because it's SBC per my TA.

I have another cruise booked with a different TA and she says the freebie money from the her is SBC and doesn't show on the invoice.

But honestly, maybe I also have  cognitive impairment and have that backwards.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Petoonya.........     Like LHT68 I understand OBC and /or SBC is the same thing.  On Board Credit and Ship Board Credit.  Just semantics.  In fact I had never seen it described as Ship Board Credit until I came on the Oceania board.

Your gift to your husband of $500 so he can buy something while on board is so thoughtful and kind.  What a lovely person you are.

One other point.....  OBC/SBC, whatever you call it,  is not "free".    It is just made to look "free". You can be sure we pay for everything in some way or another.  So Katz you might just as well let the OBC cover your tours, booked on line,  and "pretend" the cost of anything you buy on board is in fact out of the OBC.    J

Edited by Jay23

@katz we have booked our first Oceania cruise. When we selected shore excursions it automatically used the OBC but you had the option to not use it and pay. From memory there was a box to un-tick and then you enter your credit card details and pay for them. You don’t have to explain yourself to anyone. Enjoy your cruise!

Petunya,

As others have said, OBC & SBC are exactly the same thing - no difference at all other than people using different terminology.

OBC from Oceania, like your Bronze $100, are non refundable and the ship uses that amount first. The wonderful gift of $500 that you gifted to your husband is refundable (whatever is left of it ) at the end of the cruise. This refundable OBC usually does not show up on your invoice but you will get the cards to sign for it once you board (delivered by the cabin attendant).

Enjoy your cruise.

5 hours ago, Petoonya said:

We don't get Olife.

Nancy

As others have said in this thread, OBC and SBC are interchangeable terms (SBC is a term often used by TAs). 

Oceania's non-refundable SBC (O Club and/or O Life) is what shows in your online account. TA's refundable SBC does not. 

What I don't understand from your posts is that it appears you've used two different TAs and neither is sharing their commission with you (which would be in the form of either refundable SBC or a direct rebate check).

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As others have said in this thread, OBC and SBC are interchangeable terms (SBC is a term often used by TAs). 

Oceania's non-refundable SBC (O Club and/or O Life) is what shows in your online account. TA's refundable SBC does not. 

What I don't understand from your posts is that it appears you've used two different TAs and neither is sharing their commission with you (which would be in the form of either refundable SBC or a direct rebate check).

I have booked the least expensive cabin in both cases and both offered gratuities, and a small fare discount. One is an O 18 day and the other is a NCL 7 day (yuk- family reunion).

Thanks for your explanation.

Edited by Petoonya