Alaska-Bliss or Joy?

gatorchinsky

We’re trying to decide on an August 2020 Alaska cruise between the Bliss or the Joy.  We have sailed on the Bliss before but not the Joy.  The Joy cruises Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier and stops at Icy Strait Point where the Bliss cruises Glacier Bay and stops in Skagway.  The other ports seem to be the same with different times arriving and departing. The Joy sails from Saturday to Saturday where the Bliss sails Sunday to Sunday.  This will be our first time cruising Alaska but I’m sure it will not be our last.  Should we sail the Joy because it will be a new ship for us or should we go with the Bliss because of Glacier Bay?  I guess if you’ve sailed both ships you can let me know which you preferred and why.  Thanks for the help!!

One other difference in the ships is the Concierge class on the Joy.  It's not as "First Class" as the Haven, but service wise it is a step above the regular rooms.  I haven't been on either boat yet, but I figure it's worth a mention.

11 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

Thanks for the responses.  I did a mock booking for both ships and the Bliss is $1900 more than the Joy.  That is a big difference!

Yes, generally speaking ships that visit Glacier Bay National Park charge more for their cabins.  I don't know for sure but I'd bet that some of that price difference is to cover the amount the cruise line contractually agreed to pay for permission to enter the park.  As a ship enters Glacier Bay, park rangers board the ship and spend most of the day answering passenger questions, etc.

Earlier this year Royal Caribbean failed to finalize an agreement with the National Park Service so now their ships won't be able to enter Glacier Bay National Park for the next 10 years.

5 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Yes, generally speaking ships that visit Glacier Bay National Park charge more for their cabins.  I don't know for sure but I'd bet that some of that price difference is to cover the amount the cruise line contractually agreed to pay for permission to enter the park.  As a ship enters Glacier Bay, park rangers board the ship and spend most of the day answering passenger questions, etc.

Earlier this year Royal Caribbean failed to finalize an agreement with the National Park Service so now their ships won't be able to enter Glacier Bay National Park for the next 10 years.

Thanks for that explanation.  I had no idea about that.