Cruise Critic Community
History&Wine

Crystal price increases coming after tomorrow!

Just spotted on the Crystal website:  There is a countdown clock showing the hours and minutes until prices increase on "selected" cruises.   Prices increase January 9.

Have not seen this posted.  Please forgive me

if it has been mentioned. 

It’s a regular “deadline” they invoke to encourage people to book so nothing unusual

It happens every couple of months 

Will some prices go up or down? - probably - but it would be exceptionally unusual for them to rise significantly 

No doubt our good friend, drib, will keep an eye on the changes and report back  once they’re reflected in the Crystal pricing database 

When my wife & I booked the Crystal Symphony cruise from Athens to Barcelona (https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/athens-to-barcelona-ocs200920-21#suites-and-fares) in September 2018 (two years in advance), the Brochure Fare for an E1 Stateroom was $13,998 per person, and Book Now Savings was $2,100 per person.

Today, the Brochure Fare is $18,198 per person, and the Book Now Savings is only $1,000 per person.

It pays (saves) to book early!!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CharleMarg said:

That's good advice. It could be that they have changed policies, though; whereas they always used to give you the new fare when it went down, I don't know if that's still true. Very confusing ... gotta check the small print on the new terms for your next cruise, or better yet, ask BWIVince to explain them. (Soften him up with some cookies or a pie with all the money you already saved!)

18 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

drib, will keep an eye on the changes and report back

My wife and I are going to a matinee tomorrow.  I want to see 1917 and she wants to see Little Women. So we're going to compromise and see Little Women

Anyway, instead of updating fare compare, I'll be watching a sappy movie with my wife and probably five or six other compromisees (new word!) at a local theater. Knowing how you guys are, you probably won't wait for me to figure out if there are any new deals. I wasn't really planning to do an update until next Monday, but if no one else has sorted things out before I get home, I can do an update Thursday night, for Crystal only, but hold off on the emails until Monday.
Edited by drib

7 hours ago, CharleMarg said:

When my wife & I booked the Crystal Symphony cruise from Athens to Barcelona (https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/athens-to-barcelona-ocs200920-21#suites-and-fares) in September 2018 (two years in advance), the Brochure Fare for an E1 Stateroom was $13,998 per person, and Book Now Savings was $2,100 per person.

Today, the Brochure Fare is $18,198 per person, and the Book Now Savings is only $1,000 per person.

Last month we booked 11 nights cruise from Dover to Lisbon in Sep.2022 at $2,999 (E2 category, before taxes). That's $272 per night. I didn't see any cruises in 2020 and 2021 at this price point. Most 11-12 nights cruises start around $4,000-$4,500. I'm not sure if there is something special about our cruise that makes it so cheap, so it's because we booked it almost 3 years in advance, but the fact remains.

Just now, CharleMarg said:

The current fare Per the link you posted for E1 is $9099 per person not $18198? Hopefully you can get the new fare unless you meant the $13998 was for 2.

I was looking at some cruises in the Carribean Nov/Dec 2020 on Serenity. The prices seem significantly higher than the same period last year. Do y'all think the prices will drop? Trying to figure out the best time to book, since we didn't book early.

5 hours ago, drib said:

My wife and I are going to a matinee tomorrow.  I want to see 1917 and she wants to see Little Women. So we're going to compromise and see Little Women

Very smart move - happy wife, happy life!

5 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

The current fare Per the link you posted for E1 is $9099 per person not $18198? Hopefully you can get the new fare unless you meant the $13998 was for 2.

5 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Hi Jimmycruiser,

In both instances, I was referring to "Brochure Fare", not the "2-For-1 Fare".

In September 2018 the 2-For-1 Fare for an E1 Stateroom was $6,999 per person; today, the 2-For-1 Fare for E1 is $9,099.

Book Now Savings in September was $2,100 per person, and today is only $1,000 per person.

$4,899 for an E1 booked in September 2018 compared to $8,099 to book today is a massive saving (before any additional discounts such as Crystal Society are applied)!!

13 hours ago, CharleMarg said:

the Brochure Fare for an E1 Stateroom was $13,998 per person, and Book Now Savings was $2,100 per person.

Charles - just a thought but are you sure both are US$ prices - if you’re looking at crystalcruises.com.au remember that’s now A$ and includes port charges and fees. Your original booking will be priced in US$

Just a thought that might explain the change?

I agree with you on booking early and our bargains on that front include v.8218 the fantastic San Francisco to NYC in Aug 2018 and our planned Rome to Dover combo in May 2020 which is no longer available - certainly not at the price we got it for - it’s always nice to snag a bargain!

5 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Charles - just a thought but are you sure both are US$ prices - if you’re looking at crystalcruises.com.au remember that’s now A$ and includes port charges and fees. Your original booking will be priced in US$

Hi Stickman1990.

All prices I am quoting are in US$ (as per the invoice from my travel agent in September 2018 - when Margaret & I paid our initial deposit; and the current cruises prices as per Crystal's US website - which I access via a VPN).

Yesterday, Margaret & I booked Los Angeles to New York City on Crystal Serenity in 2022 to take advantage of the US$2,100 per person Book Now Savings (which is supposed to end on January 8):

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/los-angeles-to-new-york-ocy220815-18#suites-and-fares

It will be interesting to see how the cruise fares changes over the next 30+ months.

18 minutes ago, CharleMarg said:

Yesterday, Margaret & I booked Los Angeles to New York City on Crystal Serenity in 2022 to take advantage of the US$2,100 per person Book Now Savings (which is supposed to end on January 8):

That looks like a great cruise. I'd book it myself but the timing doesn't work with my daughter's school schedule. So many interesting ports

28 minutes ago, juicyjuju said:

That looks like a great cruise. I'd book it myself but the timing doesn't work with my daughter's school schedule. So many interesting ports

juicyjuju, Transiting the Panama Canal is something Margaret & I promised each other we would do on a Crystal cruise ship.

The fact the itinerary includes stops in Key West (where my grandmother first took me in the late 1960's when I would visit her in Coral Gables during the summer) and Charleston (close to where my youngest brother lives, in Myrtle Beach) made it a "no brainer" for Margaret & me!

Just now, CharleMarg said:

Hi Jimmycruiser,

In both instances, I was referring to "Brochure Fare", not the "2-For-1 Fare".

In September 2018 the 2-For-1 Fare for an E1 Stateroom was $6,999 per person; today, the 2-For-1 Fare for E1 is $9,099.

Book Now Savings in September was $2,100 per person, and today is only $1,000 per person.

$4,899 for an E1 booked in September 2018 compared to $8,099 to book today is a massive saving (before any additional discounts such as Crystal Society are applied)!!

I missed the “Brochure Fare” comparison. Should have known. We just booked our first Crystal cruise to hopefully snag the sale price before it goes up. Sailing July next year.

If the fare does go down do you know if Crystal would extend the lower price to my booking if I request it?

3 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

If the fare does go down do you know if Crystal would extend the lower price to my booking if I request it?

Yes they will - provided it’s the same offer and terms and conditions 

But if they offer a “special” with different T&Cs then they won’t give you that - unless you cancel and book again (and avoid the no rebook clause)

7 hours ago, drib said:

My wife and I are going to a matinee tomorrow.  I want to see 1917 and she wants to see Little Women. So we're going to compromise and see Little Women.

Hilarious!  Good compromise. 

Our household is much the same.  But we've both come to enjoy what we used to find unbearable.  After decades of being a football widow,  I'm now watching NFL games (and can call a penalty before the yellow flag is thrown) while DH is so enthralled with the Food Network that he thinks he can compete on Chopped.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, drib said:

I have the same dilemma - my option is Farmageddon featuring Shaun the Sheep which my wife assures me I will enjoy! 

That’s why I love the movies In the Hollywood Theatre on the ship - I can just head to a bar and leave her too it 

BTW - I can absolutely recommend The Gentlemen -  great movie we saw last week 

Edited by Stickman1990

Oh, I see, gnomie1 wrote 

3 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

happy wife, happy life!

And if I may paraphrase what Stickman1990 wrote

21 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

... {ball and chained, nothing gained!}

And it all falls under the umbrella of choice is good?

I wish Crystal, and others, would drop the brochure fare stuff.   There maybe some one some where who actually paid brochure fare but I doubt it  I think it is very un-luxury like to play fare word games such as that. 

Maybe I'm wrong but do people actually think they are getting a deal only paying 2 for 1 prices?

So, there were very few fare changes today, and no new lower fares that I could see. There was one on Serenity, and it was either an increase or decrease depending on whether you compare it to the original fare or to the last fare. (That's what jcalc is all about!) There was also one like that on Symphony. And then there were four others on Symphony that were just higher fares.

I'll double check before Monday because it could be that they're just slow to put new fares out there.

Since I haven't taken up too much of your time with this post, I think I'll review Little Women here, which I saw in the theater this morning.

My first impression was that it was a lot like Sex in the City, but without the sex, and without the city, and without the Jimmy Choos. They were similar, though, in that I disliked them both immediately. However, I couldn't change the channel, and the Baked Bear next door did not open until after the movie anyway, so I gave it a second chance.

It's a well-made film. The scenery is beautiful, the fashions are just so - although somewhat gratuitous, like when the father returns home wearing a Union soldiers cap. (I swear, it still had a price tag on it, as if he was about to go on an Oceania cruise with the new dress code!) I'm not so sure Bob Odenkirk was cast well for this movie because all I could think about during his scenes was Better Call Saul! The rest of the cast was fine, even very good, even very, very good. (I always thought it would help if the actors wore numbers on their costumes, like ball players, and there were scorecards where I could look up the character.)

As for the story, while it wasn't my kind of movie, it was very effective, and by the end of it, my menstrual cycle was definitely in sync with all those women. I was weepy and cranky and sometimes bloated. (The sodas cups there are just too large!) And I know what you're thinking ... that I'm a guy and I don't have one of those, and I'm too old for that anyway. But you'd all be wrong because Little Women is a period piece.

In sum, it was a pretty good movie.

Sorry that I didn't have any good news about the fares.

Drib,   Thanks for the laughs!

As for your comment about actors wearing numbers,   I think it's an idea who's time has come....sort of.   Google play identifies all the actors in a scene when paused.    Amazon goes a step further...it identifies all the actors in  a scene, and one can "X-ray"   (Amazon's term) any given actor for their bio.  

Dwight

1 hour ago, History&Wine said:

Google play identifies all the actors in a scene when paused.    Amazon goes a step further...it identifies all the actors in  a scene,

I have a hard time keeping track of all the new streaming services, but I have something like that on one of them using a Roku ... maybe it was Amazon Prime, as you wrote ...

Wait a minute ... I see what you're getting at ... you're saying that Crystal is like your old cable box, very solid and dependable, but they're struggling to become a streaming service. Regent is like Netflix, they're constantly launching new ships, first Explorer then Splendor, and another one already announced after that. Hulu - that's Oceania - some newer content, but mostly recycling older ships with cheaper content, and a very relaxed dress code.

Apple TV, well that's Seabourn, soon to be renamed iSeabourn. YouTube TV is Viking - they already had a ton of content on their river ships, and now they're pillaging the ocean ship market. Disney+, I don't know, maybe .... Disney.

That's a brilliant analogy, History&Wine; thanks for posting it!

Nothing to write home about today. Nothing to really write here today, but I wanted to remind you to check your spam folders if you were expecting an email and didn't get one.

Also, please make sure your pets are spayed or neutered!

See you next time on The Fares Are Right.

(Edited just now by drib)

Edited by drib

Endeavor fans, you might want to take note of several itineraries with fare changes - could have happened anytime between February 2 and today - there were nine trips with big decreases (between 11.6% and 16.1% on an S2 *), and six trips with increases. They were all in 2021.

======

* I recommend never looking at category S7 since there is only one of those cabins on the ship. In fact I just started defaulting my site to S2, which is the statistical mode, along with S1, at 34 cabins each, and combined account for 68% of the ship.