Cruise Critic Community
MEH512

Family of 4 in a balcony room - Oasis of the Seas?

My husband and I are taking our grandchildren (11 and 6) on the Oasis of the Seas.  We've booked an Ocean Balcony cabin (182 sq ft).  Does anyone have any experience with 4 in the balcony room?  Will it be too tight?  Is it worth spending another $1900 for a Junior Suite for a 7 day cruise?

I’ve done it twice.  It isn’t terrible until they turn the couch into the bed for the night.  Then it gets tight.  But I’m doing it again in May. So,I’d save the cash. 

Posted (edited)

It is tight. Maybe book two balconies in Central Park. U can get conjoined rooms. I usually would never suggest these other balconies but to get 2 cabins with 2 bathrooms it might be a better option 

Edited by renza

I don’t think it’s worth the extra I’m sure others will disagree but.

You’re paying a lot of money for that extra space and you’ll only really be cramped when it’s bedtime.

Oh my gosh these are great responses!  Thank you everyone!  I didn't even think of connecting rooms.   I've messaged my travel agent to see what that cost.  Two bathrooms, two balconies, and twice the room as a regular cabin sounds great to me!!!

My sister did it with her boys last summer on Oasis (10714). It was perfectly fine 80% of the day. Like others said it's only tight when they get the additional bed out in evening. Most people would be out and about and just come back to crash anyway.

We often do 4 in a room (2 adults , 2 kids -teen and pre teen) and manage fine.  It's best when our kids get their own space such as sofabed + Pullman, or the newer sofa beds such as in Symphony when it's actually a sofa and a trundle that pulls out, but we manage with any.

4 in a room is fine.  The rooms are designed for it and we find it perfectly comfortable.    If connecting cabins is the same price, then no brainer, but I wouldn't hesitate 4 in a room either.  Junior suite definitely not worth the upgrade.

We find two connecting rooms is so much more comfortable!!  Having 2 bathrooms is a huge plus. What I didn’t know was that some of the balcony dividers come out and we had a huge balcony!  We just got back from a last minute trip with two inside rooms and we liked those just as much. 

It's tight.  Especially if the people on the bed sleep in.  Just saying...

Twice the balcony is almost as good as two bathrooms!  Thank you everyone.  I think, from the responses, that if we can't get two connecting we can manage in one balcony.... but if the 2 connecting is the same $ as the junior we gain so much more that it would be worth it.  I'm really big on two bathrooms for two people.  LOL.  One of us in a very adult (i.e. 56 year old) woman.  The other is a pre teen.  I see a lot of bathroom time.

1 hour ago, MEH512 said:

My husband and I are taking our grandchildren (11 and 6) on the Oasis of the Seas.  We've booked an Ocean Balcony cabin (182 sq ft).  Does anyone have any experience with 4 in the balcony room?  Will it be too tight?  Is it worth spending another $1900 for a Junior Suite for a 7 day cruise?

When is your sailing?  If is in the future watch the prices and if the jr suite comes up to close to what you paid for balcony call for a possible free upgrade. We have been successful with this strategy more than once.

If that doesn’t work out , It will be tight but you really should be fine. My friends and I booked last minute On The Harmony and we could not get two cabins close together so we booked one quad balcony. It really was fine. The ship is so nice and big I would bet you will be more out of the cabin then in.

We have stuck our kids in their own cabin since they were 11 & 7.

Either next door or across the hall in an inside.

4 in 1 cabin is too crowded. 

I would rather not even go if we had to do it that way..

Posted (edited)

If you prefer everyone in the same room, there is also the Ultra Spacious with large balcony. It has the bunkbeds in it and a sofa bed. If you get one of the two by the Aqua Suites, you have a large balcony. But you also have the 1 bathroom dilemma.

We originally had one of these family rooms booked for us and our 2 adult children (one has Ds so could easily fit in the bunkbeds and there was plenty of space) but then was kicking ourselves for the 1 bathroom for 4 adults.  It was cheaper than a jr suite at the time. Then we won a Crown Loft with Royal Up for only $1500. That spoiled us forever. 

Edited by cured

Thank you so much for all your input and recommendations.  We decided to book adjoining rooms and it was less than the cost of a junior suite, with double the space, double the room, double the balcony and 2 bathrooms!  Yes!  

7 minutes ago, MEH512 said:

Thank you so much for all your input and recommendations.  We decided to book adjoining rooms and it was less than the cost of a junior suite, with double the space, double the room, double the balcony and 2 bathrooms!  Yes!  

Have a great cruise.  Enjoy.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, MEH512 said:

Your TA may have already marked both reservations ‘Do Not Upgrade’; if not, you may want to ask him/her to do so, to keep both adjoining rooms together.   

(every so often, a thread appears where someone reports one of their room assignments was involuntarily “upgraded” to a different location or deck - and the cabins are no longer adjoining)

Edited by BSocial
Info

Yikes!  That would be bad!  Thank you for that suggestion~!

10 minutes ago, BSocial said:

Your TA may have already marked both reservations ‘Do Not Upgrade’; if not, you may want to ask him/her to do so, to keep both adjoining rooms together.   

(every so often, a thread appears where someone reports one of their room assignments was involuntarily “upgraded” to a different location or deck - and the cabins are no longer adjoining)

I haven’t read of that happening ever since Royal started the upgrade program. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I haven’t read of that happening ever since Royal started the upgrade program. 

I thought I’d read this recently, maybe it wasn’t on Royal’s board.  Or  It may have been the scenario that had to do with Oasis’ room reclassifications.   Either way, it was involuntary.    And not a good outcome. 

edit:  I probably misspoke by saying upgrade,   I should have said ‘moved’. 

Edited by BSocial

Only other idea is to look into Central Park view rooms on Deck 9 I think. We did that for the first time this summer and loved it. Room is a bit bigger and it has a nice size window seat that our DD loved to lounge on. No balcony, but the view is nice and we don't love CP balconies. Just another idea--they are priced as interior view rooms so may be a bit less

We’ve done 4 in a cabin for a many a cruises.  Next year the kids will be 16 and 12 and we are done.  We are going to do a balcony and an inside next cruise, extra space and a second bathroom.  Plus the kids are boy/girl and we need private space.

Can anyone tell me if the Oasis sofabeds are the old style of couch that lays down, or newer style of actual pull out mattress?

Got to agree with Matj2000

I would not stick 4 people in a cabin, and wouldn't do the trip either.

It would be a little tight to say the least.