Jump to content

Advice for first timers?


Recommended Posts

Yes, it's easy to make friends.  We had a great group with us.  I'm partial to St. John.  Red Hook area in St. Thomas is kind of fun.  As soon as you get off the ferry, you will see High Tide, which opened not long after the hurricanes.  Just down the beach is Beach Bar and Rum Hut, both just opened this week.  Honeymoon Beach offers food, drinks and lounge chairs, along with floats, snorkel gear, etc.  Might be a fun day for you!  Lots of beautiful beaches!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another newbie question:  What is the dress code, especially for dinner?  Country Club casual, or what?  I am assuming that during the day it is very casual.  

 

Also, any tips for the Barbados to Barbados cruise on SDI in March regarding the islands we visit would be appreciated.

 

Thanks, Bill

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will see a wide variety of dress. For men, collared shirts and long pants at a minimum. My husband always brings a jacket; sometimes he wears it, sometimes not. He generally wears linen shirts and khaki's in the Caribbean. For women, what you would wear to a nice restaurant. Some women get quite dressed up -  some just pants or a skirt and a nice top. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 3:39 PM, Piaa said:

Jam 16 - absolutely worth heading over to St John (I live there) totally different feel to St Thomas and our beaches are fabulous !  

Thanks.  I definitely agree that the beaches on St. John are fabulous (from what I've seen online).  We're staying at a nice hotel on St. Thomas, so we want to be sure to enjoy those amenities.  I think we won't plan too much, and live in the moment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jam 16, We are booked on a St. Thomas round trip next winter and are investigating hotels.  Two years ago when we sailed out of STT, there were no hotels.  When you get back to sunny Chicago, please let me know where you stayed and how it was.  Have a great trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrapperZimmy said:

Jam 16, We are booked on a St. Thomas round trip next winter and are investigating hotels.  Two years ago when we sailed out of STT, there were no hotels.  When you get back to sunny Chicago, please let me know where you stayed and how it was.  Have a great trip.

I will let you know.  We didn't have a lot of options.  We ended up using a boatload of Marriott points to stay at the newly renovated Ritz (it's our 20th anniversary so why not?).  I hope it's worth the splurge that it is. I hear that the Marriott will be renovated next, not sure of the completion date, however.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richb21 said:

On the dress code, when eating dinner outside on deck, collared shirt and shorts are actually fine. In main dining room, long pants.

 

Breakfast and lunch, on the other hand, can be swimsuit and T-shirt or cover-up.  As Zimmy noted, she has me bring a sport coat (she has final authority on everything I pack), which I will wear only if it is a bit cool on deck or if we are dining with the Captain.  Don't want to make him feel uncomfortable, being the only one all dressed up.  Topsiders without socks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TrapperZimmy said:

 

Breakfast and lunch, on the other hand, can be swimsuit and T-shirt or cover-up.  As Zimmy noted, she has me bring a sport coat (she has final authority on everything I pack), which I will wear only if it is a bit cool on deck or if we are dining with the Captain.  Don't want to make him feel uncomfortable, being the only one all dressed up.  Topsiders without socks.

Glad I am not the only one being dressed by DW....🍸

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trapper - maybe stay on St John vs St Thomas (totally different feel) unless you need a resort.  Gallows Point and Grande Bay are good options for being in town and walking to all the bars and restaurants.  Gallows Point has daily maid service for the rooms so it's the best of a hotel but with full kitchen.  The only time I probably wouldn't stay in town is over the 4th of July due to noise from Carnival.

 

St John is a short 15 to 30 minute ferry ride from St Thomas and if you catch the Crown Bay ferry (limited service times right now but fine for catching SD) it drops you 3 minutes from where SD is docked

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 10:03 AM, Piaa said:

Trapper - maybe stay on St John vs St Thomas (totally different feel) unless you need a resort.  Gallows Point and Grande Bay are good options for being in town and walking to all the bars and restaurants.  Gallows Point has daily maid service for the rooms so it's the best of a hotel but with full kitchen.  The only time I probably wouldn't stay in town is over the 4th of July due to noise from Carnival.

 

St John is a short 15 to 30 minute ferry ride from St Thomas and if you catch the Crown Bay ferry (limited service times right now but fine for catching SD) it drops you 3 minutes from where SD is docked

Somehow I knew you would represent the St. John Chamber of Commerce.  We are keeping our options open, so St. John is a possibility.  One factor might be minimum stay requirements as we are on the first cruise after New Years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...