Cruise Critic Community
Keith1951

Cancel due to Puerto Rico earthquake?

27 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

these are drone shots correct??  

did you have any issues with flying there?  

Shot from Anthem of the Seas on my deck 6 balcony.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Shot from Anthem of the Seas on my deck 6 balcony.  

Oh wow. That’s cool.  Wonder if our ship. Harmony will have the same view. I’d wanna be ready for that shot. 📸

10 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Oh wow. That’s cool.  Wonder if our ship. Harmony will have the same view. I’d wanna be ready for that shot. 📸

Port side of the ship entering San Juan always has this view.  

Starboard side leaving the port but depending on time of day it might be dark when leaving.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, twangster said:

Port side of the ship entering San Juan always has this view.  

Starboard side leaving the port but depending on time of day it might be dark when leaving.

Thanks for the heads up.  My rooms starboard.  I’ll have my gopro set up on my balcony hope to get a good view.   

I had my gopro running on most all my Alaska cruise. Got some cool footage.   

5A071AC7-74DF-42B3-B54D-B6922097CB15.jpeg

Edited by Ptroxx

8 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Thanks for the heads up.  My rooms starboard.  I’ll have my gopro set up on my balcony hope to get a good view.   

I had my gopro running on most all my Alaska cruise. Got some cool footage.   

If you are sailing out in the dark the fort looks really cool lit up.

2 hours ago, OhJinkies said:

Thank you - there are so many rumors out there. I thought power was out over the whole island, and worried about even being able to fly in next week! 
I hope that the worst is over, and that you'll be able to let go of your own worries soon - best wishes!

Those rumors are going around because news agencies have been reporting just that.... power is out on Puerto Rico. I guess they are technically correct as they didn't actually specify ALL of Puerto Rico. These boards have more accurate into than TV news.

The media likes to exaggerate.  It's makes better headlines and generates more clicks.  Facts aren't important, generating revenue and ratings is.  

4 hours ago, OhJinkies said:

Thank you - there are so many rumors out there. I thought power was out over the whole island, and worried about even being able to fly in next week! 
I hope that the worst is over, and that you'll be able to let go of your own worries soon - best wishes!

Relax...you will be just fine.  "Sea" you on board.  😉 

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Doh!  Good point.

As usual your photos are exquisite 👏

Can't advise you but I'm currently on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, which docked at San Juan on Tuesday afternoon. Power was on in Old San Juan and I saw no damage there.

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Nice pics twangster. I love Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, its people and always look forward to returning. I'll be back there Jan 21 on Adventure.

Hijacking the thread to see if you are doing a live review? We have an upcoming cruise on the Adventure and would be interested:)

53 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Hijacking the thread to see if you are doing a live review? We have an upcoming cruise on the Adventure and would be interested:)

Not likely as the internet on that ship is beyond bad. However, maybe I'll start a thread and answer any questions people have. I've been on the ship many times, the most recent was last January. If you have any immediate questions feel free to ask me anything you want right now. I am happy to help. And there is nothing like a little hijacking of a thread. It keeps them interesting. Besides, we have already established that San Juan is fine and has electricity so we need something to talk about.😆 Last January one person on the ship started a live  thread and about 5 of us who were aboard contributed to it. It turned out a bit different from a usual live thread and was a lot of fun.

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Not likely as the internet on that ship is beyond bad. However, maybe I'll start a thread and answer any questions people have. I've been on the ship many times, the most recent was last January. If you have any immediate questions feel free to ask me anything you want right now. I am happy to help. And there is nothing like a little hijacking of a thread. It keeps them interesting. Besides, we have already established that San Juan is fine and has electricity so we need something to talk about.😆 Last January one person on the ship started a live  thread and about 5 of us who were aboard contributed to it. It turned out a bit different from a usual live thread and was a lot of fun.

my wife was curious if there are any quiet places to sit and look out over the water, preferably a partially covered area on a lower deck. The promenade deck on the Freedom had some outdoor seating Towards the aft that hardly anyone used and it was super peaceful. We used to have a deck like this on Disney as well. 

Also where on the Adventure is the best place for the sail away? We were spoiled last year on the Edge with the magic carpet, but seem to remember using the helipad on the Freedom. Also have my fingers crossed that Kronos (close on spelling) is the house band, they were amazing on the Brilliance, but know this is a super long shot. 

What is the best place to get lunch when you board? Really hoping that RCCL has started to label their buffet food as gluten free or not. Celebrity did it and it made the buffet so much easier and quicker for me. Guessing windjammer will be packed on the first day. Really hoping for a great cruise, seems like a lot of people like the adventure. I have seen your name pop up a few times researching the adventure on CC. 

Thanks

The outside area of deck 4 sounds just like what you are looking for as a quiet covered area to relax and watch the water go by.

The helipad is good for sail-a-way. I tend to go to the highest part of the ship... deck 13 forward. You go all the way forward on deck 12, the sundeck, the up another set of stairs. I like the area as when the horn blows you get the full impact. Yes, I am one of those who lives to hear ships' horns.

Food options when boarding will be the Windjammer on deck 11 and the Cafe Promenade on deck 5. I don't think Johnny Rocket's was open on boarding but I could be wrong and if it is there will be a charge. The Windjammer won't be crowded if you board early and it thins out after the cabins open up around 1-1:30.

I think Adventure is a great ship. All our cruises on the ship have been fun. The entertainment... production shows... are a bit weak in my opinion. They are nothing like the caliber of the shows on Oasis class ships but I know what to expect when I book this ship so it is not a disappointment.

Since you have been on Freedom, Adventure will seem quite familiar to you. Freedom class ships are just a stretched version of the Voyager (Adventure) class ships. The Royal Promenade will seem a little bit shorter to you but most of the venues and amenities are the same since Adventure had the flowrider added and it already has the slides that have not yet been added to Freedom.

When are you sailing?

12 hours ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Even if you are on the ship.. they can always cancel/change the port while at sea., so as someone else said if you really want to see San Juan.. get a cruise that departs from there and fly in a couple days early.

We skipped SJ this summer on Empress. 

It was during the protests against the Governor 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Good times

I'm still not sure you were really there 🤣🤣

Edited by John&LaLa

Omg, when I have a little time I may re- read the thread for fun.

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I often re-read my old threads prior to doing a new one. But then again, I probably hsve more time than you.😉

I need to look up 199 things I look forward to. 

Lots of CATS info there🐱

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The outside area of deck 4 sounds just like what you are looking for as a quiet covered area to relax and watch the water go by.

The helipad is good for sail-a-way. I tend to go to the highest part of the ship... deck 13 forward. You go all the way forward on deck 12, the sundeck, the up another set of stairs. I like the area as when the horn blows you get the full impact. Yes, I am one of those who lives to hear ships' horns.

Food options when boarding will be the Windjammer on deck 11 and the Cafe Promenade on deck 5. I don't think Johnny Rocket's was open on boarding but I could be wrong and if it is there will be a charge. The Windjammer won't be crowded if you board early and it thins out after the cabins open up around 1-1:30.

I think Adventure is a great ship. All our cruises on the ship have been fun. The entertainment... production shows... are a bit weak in my opinion. They are nothing like the caliber of the shows on Oasis class ships but I know what to expect when I book this ship so it is not a disappointment.

Since you have been on Freedom, Adventure will seem quite familiar to you. Freedom class ships are just a stretched version of the Voyager (Adventure) class ships. The Royal Promenade will seem a little bit shorter to you but most of the venues and amenities are the same since Adventure had the flowrider added and it already has the slides that have not yet been added to Freedom.

When are you sailing?

thank you for the info. All I will say is we are sailing sometime after you, I no longer post vacation dates on the web. I knew someone who got burned doing this on social media so I am overly cautious. 

I will definitely do a thrifty cruiser review when we get back though. I did one for the Edge and Brilliance. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, John&LaLa said:

Good times

I'm still not sure you were really there 🤣🤣

Ha! He says he was, but I never saw him!

On 1/9/2020 at 9:14 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I'll have a new one in the fall!