Bali & Laem Chabang Cruise Terminal Info

canadian9981

My husband an I are booked on Viking Orion leaving Bali for Bangkok.  My husband can’t stand for an extended period of time so I usually request wheelchair service for him during embarkation & debarkation.  I just found out that Viking doesn’t provide this service.  Can anybody who have been to Bali & Laem Chabang advise me of your embarkation & debarkation experiences in those 2 ports?  Would like to know:

- is immigration line long?
- is walk between ship & terminal far?

Any information or advice is appreciated as my husband is worried.

Thanks

We are also disembarking at Laem Chabang. This will be the day after an overnight stay in port,  so I was thinking that the ship would already be cleared for immigration. If there is a long wait for customs or immigration, I may have to rethink our transfer time. Was the long wait after an overnight in port, or just after arrival?

We embarked the ship in Bali, so this probably isn't going to help you much. We are also able to walk and stand for about 15-20 minutes at a time.   However, I CAN tell you that the process to embark Oceania in Bali was pretty easy and fast, around 1 pm, with no waiting.  The port is not huge, but like almost all ocean ports, there IS some walking involved.  You may want to contact this person to ask if he could find out for you whether he could pick you up from the airport or hotel in Bali, drive you to the port, park, and if possible, find out if they have a wheelchair you can use.  Or who knows, maybe this driver knows one he can borrow.  While we didn't need a wheelchair, I would not be the least surprised if the driver would be willing to help you out -- assuming he's available on the day you would need him.  His name is Dewa Gede and here's his contact info; just email him and explain your situation:

dgrock1140@yahoo.com 

I can't say enough good things about him.  Someone on Cruise Critic recommended him to me, and he drove us to our hotel, drove us to the city of Ubud, and took us sightseeing for 3 days.

If that doesn't help, perhaps you can post your questions on the Trip Advisor  boards (tripadvisor.com).  Perhaps someone can tell you if there's a wheelchair to be borrowed in the port for Bali, which is in the city of Benoa.  At least a local might be able to find out what your options are. 

Or perhaps your husband could sit down and wait somewhere in the port while you check in, then explain to the people doing the check in process that you'll go get your husband so they can take his picture, etc.

Viking will likely have someone in the port walking around to help people, answer questions, etc. It's a great cruise line, and similar to Oceania.  We were greeted in Bali by one of the entertainers on the ship when we came.  I don't remember what the seating situation was like, though - but almost all ports I've been to have a waiting area, so you'll likely be OK.  

There were a few vendors inside the port selling things (bargain hard!!) when we embarked, and port staff were handing out the usual health form you have to fill out and sign.  Then you go to the desks where you check in.

Bali is extremely hot and humid; be prepared, and take water. 

Edited by roothy123