Singinalot’s 2nd time on Allure - my picture review and blog 1/5-12,2020

Sitting on our balcony in Haiti as we wait for the last of the guests to board, trying to read this book “The Last Train to London” that I just can’t get into, so figured I’d go ahead and start this. The next two days may be less posts since we’re not finished yet, but I do already have some drafted so let’s get this party started!

97cc08e02a0b59c47f248812baf7a3f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all started December 15, 2018, when my then fiancé, Nate, and I were at our friends’ home for dinner and Christmas celebration. Several drinks and many hours later someone suggested we should go on vacation together (I’m willing to bet it was Nate). Of course the phones came out and cruises were looked at and we all exclaimed over the price for this 7 night Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale January 5, 2020…. Yes, that’s right…over a year away. We booked that night for a balcony cabin $2200 total for Nate & I with a $50 dining credit, $50 onboard credit, and $140 gift card to the big box store we booked through.
I think we all woke up the next morning and texted each other…” did we really just book a cruise over a year away AND did we really just throw down money we weren’t planning on spending?” LOL. None of us really wanted to cancel though, so here we are!

Now, Brett and Jenn have never cruised before. When we booked the trip they had just gotten back from a week in Punta Cana where they said they were bored because all they did was beach…I think that’s probably what started the cruising conversation. We like cruising because no matter your preference you can always find something to do…even if it’s doing nothing.

The original itinerary for this trip was FLL, St Kitts, St Thomas, and CocoCay. Sometime in mid-2019 we received notice that the new itinerary would be St Thomas, Puerto Rico, and CocoCay due to Allure’s azipod issues. I bought myself the soda package during black Friday sales for $53.69 and the Voom Surf & Stream for 2 devices for $132.93.
While the planning for this was going on we also had the October 2019 Greek Isles cruise,

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2702782-i’m-back-my-jewel-of-the-seas-greek-isles-travel-blog-round-2/

our wedding in November 2019,

and I did a last minute girls trip to Vegas in December 2019 for the Reba, Brooks & Dunn concert. On top of all of this we’re also still dealing with the car accident litigation and have mediation set for January 14, 2020. In November 2019 I decided to enroll in college with a start date of March 2020…gee Crystal let’s put some more on your plate. Then of course there’s my full time job and life at home as well.

This past year I got into the credit card points game and had quite the accumulation so I decided to splurge and book us at Intercontinental Miami…I did explore the hotels around Port Everglades but I decided that Miami is just more our style. Everyone was fine with that too…and splitting an uber 4 ways isn’t that bad. I booked Nate & I on Frontier’s red-eye from Denver to Miami arriving at 6am on January 4 for $338 total including bags and picking seats. I booked our return flights for FLL to DEN for January 12 10am departure…EEK…super nervous about that! I’ve never chosen to fly out that early on debarkation day.

Since January 3 was the Friday of the holiday week it was very quiet at my office. I ended up leaving work at 12pm that day which turned out to be a good thing and a bad thing. I got home, did the dishes, got our bathroom stuff packed, got the puppy’s stuff together....and then had so much time on my hands I couldn’t stand it! Husband got home and we ended up deciding to go out to dinner because we were in so much anticipation and time was passing SO SLOW before we had to drop the pup off and head to the airport.

41dba4182cdf19eb8af0529201e65acb.jpg

a874f41e94b453f14e90f8db7c477b48.jpg

032cd790c905c5fd2ec704b229c9be45.jpg

Congrats, Crystal and Nate — such a beautiful bride and a handsome groom [emoji177]
Wishing you a very happy married life and enjoy your cruise [emoji257][emoji257][emoji257]

thank you so much!

I'm so excited for your review - you always do such a wonderful job. Happy New Year!

thank you! been trying to gather as many details as possible since she goes into dry dock soon.

Sailing on Allure in February.  Following your great review.  Who is the cruise director and do you know how much they were selling the drink package for on the day you boarded the ship?  Thanks,

Sailing on Allure in February.  Following your great review.  Who is the cruise director and do you know how much they were selling the drink package for on the day you boarded the ship?  Thanks,

I think it’s Jimmy Rhodes? Haven’t seen him anywhere but saw him on the tv channels last night. I have a pic of the drink pricing I’ll post, but it was priced differently in different areas of the ship.

Cute schnauzer.  Congrats on the wedding.  

Last day sadness here.

jc

Thank you! Very sad day here, but Nates bday so we will make the best of it!

We finally parked at Park Dia and dropped by the shuttle at Frontier; probably the first time ever that I’ve had no issues getting the luggage tags printed and dropping them off. BUT once bags were dropped off what they didn’t tell us was that due to construction the regular security line was closed. We traipsed to the other side of the airport...through the construction...
fd16d902c7f97a1afcc86715212ae4d0.jpg

I can say without a doubt that due to some signs they have of the things to come I will be trying to avoid flying out of DIA in the future if at all possible. Unfortunately I already have our Nov flights booked, but for 2021 I will be willing to pay the higher cost to fly out of Colorado Springs. DIA gives me the heeby jeebies
now.

There was a lady walking along with us and she noticed the same signs...we got to talking so at least that was a good distraction.

we made it through security, I picked up a book (i’m old school and prefer the paper books tho I do occasionally download for cheaper on my kindle app), and we were at our gate 2 hours early. Plenty of time for people watching.

7c846fdd331719010c6526c0b2ffa373.jpg

bb868e192856382fbc22a246b7a868bb.jpg

We did have an exit row on the plane so it helped for our legs, but we pulled to the gate at MIA at 6:15am. I don’t think i can do these flights on frontier longer than 2.5hours anymore.

8a1ce255fea00c85cf8c73c8f34d9745.jpg

The seat was so uncomfortable and a lot of turbulence on this flight too. That’s obviously not frontiers fault but it contributed to the pain. Nate agreed. Maybe we’re finally at that age where we’re willing to pay more for comfort & service.
I ordered a diet coke can for 2.99 and finished the book I had just bought in the airport!

We get to baggage claim and everyone is just standing around.
The bags didn’t start arriving to baggage claim until 7 with hubby’s bag out at 7:08 and mine out at 7:15...one hour after getting to the gate.
We were irritated and hungry so instead of taking Uber took a $40 taxi to our hotel.

e5649cc724c2f949f82ae9d87193471a.jpg

0a0835e218ba9416f65e5fbf74d2350d.jpg
At the taxi line there’s a phone you have to pick up to order the taxi. It took us a sec to figure that out.
Our driver did not talk. He also had a weird bag that looked and smelled like literal human waste sitting on the console next to him. [emoji1785]

cb994e6c63963f61dc5bd2aecfaf7b25.jpg

500c594a8c1a2d52c6a061ef409cdc96.jpg

Very interesting start.  Ewwww in the taxi.

I thumped Nate on the hand to look down at it...thank God we both had sunglasses on but I’m sure even our mouths were giving away our horror.

We arrived at our hotel
destination: Intercontinental Miami, the one I had been so excited to stay in and so willing to give up 24k Chase points for.

https://www.icmiamihotel.com/discover?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=National-Brand&utm_content=InterContinental-Miami&trackingSource=PaidSearchRLSA&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjTnTpYaMhosh7xFpbXIIZA8aq3jpWMyaJBwHAOk98vTo3ocIQ76jfUaAhLrEALw_wcB

It really is beautiful as you walk inside and it’s right on the water.

We got early check for only $45. room 1203.

We ate at Ole, their breakfast restaurant. They have a great buffet selection but unfortunately for us we didn’t ask the price upfront due to our sleep deprivation and creepy cab ride.

We got the bill after we ate and paid an insane $74 for the 2 of us.

da6b55e16a6170f2800cd006268ae808.jpg

71667968091d4ef931ab3b6bc0957306.jpg

I loved my croissant tho and Nate said his salmon bagel was delish....but really that’s all we ate [emoji1787]
4b9c4da96edcf04b2bda47d2b5baee27.jpg

d25922977a4efc3e8940fc70f312f13e.jpg
We went straight to the room after that and napped until 10:45

20 minutes ago, singinalot said:

We arrived at our hotel...We ate at Ole, their breakfast restaurant. They have a great buffet selection but unfortunately for us we didn’t ask the price upfront due to our sleep deprivation and creepy cab ride.
We got the bill after we ate and paid an insane $74 for the 2 of us.I loved my croissant tho and Nate said his salmon bagel was delish....but really that’s all we ate emoji1787.png...

d25922977a4efc3e8940fc70f312f13e.jpg
We went straight to the room after that and napped until 10:45

Yikes..for a breakfast buffet!! 😲 After paying that bill I wouldn't have been able to take a nap. 😉 Thanks for taking us along on your cruise.

Yikes..for a breakfast buffet!! [emoji44] After paying that bill I wouldn't have been able to take a nap. [emoji6] Thanks for taking us along on your cruise.

wait until you hear my reaction to dinner [emoji23][emoji85]

I sure hope things start going a little better for you on this trip. I know you’ll have a good time anyway, but you’ve already had more than your share of bumps in the road on this cruise.

Thanks for sharing your wedding video. Your dress was beautiful. Looked like you had an amazing day surrounded by family & friends. ❤️