Guys Burgers...what did I miss?

scliq

Just now, shof515 said:

on some ships they have heating lamp or whatever it is called to keep it hot but i noticed it does not help and sometimes i get stuck with a cold burger sitting out in a tray 😞

I think next time I'm just going to ask for a fresh cooked burger.  Last time we ended up at the Italian restaurant for the complimentary made to order pasta or the Guys BBQ!  But a hot Guys burger does sound kind of nice.  Does anyone request a fresh patty?  Are they receptive to that?

We've tried Guy's burgers on a couple of ships and couldn't finish them either time because they were so greasy. The toppings bar was great, and the fries were good, but the grease- not juice, in the meat made them inedible. Lots of people love them so it's personal choice but we both prefer something from a different part of the Lido for lunch.

• Like 1

If you go at a busy time, they hand them out as fast as they can cook them.  Same with the fries.  Everything is hot.  I guess I just have reasonable expectations for a poolside free burger.  Nice options for toppings.  I like a well done burger, so it works for me. I can see that being an issue for people who don't.

31 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If you go at a busy time, they hand them out as fast as they can cook them.  Same with the fries.  Everything is hot.  I guess I just have reasonable expectations for a poolside free burger.  Nice options for toppings.  I like a well done burger, so it works for me. I can see that being an issue for people who don't.

This, I have never seen them in the tray more than a minute or two. They need all those topping to mask the well done burger. 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

This, I have never seen them in the tray more than a minute or two. They need all those topping to mask the well done burger. 😁

Unfortunately, for the people who like a little red in their meat the cruise line probably has to cook the meat thoroughly so there is no risk of e coli or salmonella.  One of my relatives always cooks his burgers with a little red inside, so I guess it's risk vs reward for him.  LOL.  But I can see why a cruise line doesn't take the risk.

• Like 2

I let this go way way off topic from the original post re Guys Burger.  Thanks for staying polite and remember the next time someone goes ballistic when something sort of "off topic" veers off for a few unkind posts or is just barely off topic and stays. .😉

I really like Guys burgers. Is it the best burger I have ever had? No. That said, it is the best burger I have had on a cruise ship. Having a cold beer and good burger out on the open sea is something way, way up there on my “to do again list” and I have 55 day to wait!

IMO Guys is good, but not great. I can think of half a dozen places within a ten minute drive from my house where I can get better. I think most of it is people getting excited about it because they associate it with going on a cruise. I'll usually eat one, but I definitely don't rush to Guys on embarkation day the way a lot of people do. I save it for a day when there's nothing on the lunch buffet that looks good to me. 

• Like 1

Being a native Southern Californian, In ‘n Out is my personal all time favorite Burger Meal!!  The very 1st INO (in Baldwin Park, CA off the 10 FWY) was probably 15 minutes from my childhood home. 

But, who can truly compare a cruise ship burger to hometown favorites? Not me. 🤔

So, Guy’s is a great fresh cruise ship meal ( I love the fries too) that I enjoy. 

🍔

Bobbi

LOL....they are too dry.....they are too greasy.....only people in the 'cult' like them.  This place is awesome, 

No....it is not some gourmet creation made from ground Wagyu but It is a freaking decent hamburger with loads of options.  Night and day better than the previous option and better than I've had from any mainstream cruise line.  It doesn't have to be the very best burger in the world to be enjoyable or to compliment it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's funny. I'm not usually impressed with the overpriced steakhouse burgers and don't care for most fast food burgers either so I was skeptical about the Guy's Burgers but I dutifully tried one. Now it's one of the first foods I look forward to when I get on the ship. I don't like messy foods either but there is something about those greasy messy burgers that makes my little heart go pitty patter. To each their own. 🙂 

If you consider an evening out to your local McDonald's to be stepping over the line from home cookin' into Haute Cuisine, you will find Guy's Burgers to be a symphony of flavors, each contributing to the overall majesty of the meal.

If you actually eat real food from time to time, you will find it to be just okay.  There is nothing wrong with Guy's Burgers, it is just that there really isn't anything special about them.   I mean, the whole toppings bar has been around for a million years at Fuddrucker's.  

On our last cruise, our daughter's boyfriend was thrilled with Guy's.  He had several, and raved about them.  First off, I'm disappointed in myself for clearly having not grilled a burger for him myself out in the back yard.  Secondly, I can't wait till the next time we see him, so that we can take him to the local Big Boy and make him try a burger with tartar sauce on it.  Mind Blown.

And honestly, if you want a *real* burger...there's only one place to go...

powers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

If you consider an evening out to your local McDonald's to be stepping over the line from home cookin' into Haute Cuisine, you will find Guy's Burgers to be a symphony of flavors, each contributing to the overall majesty of the meal.

If you actually eat real food from time to time, you will find it to be just okay.  There is nothing wrong with Guy's Burgers, it is just that there really isn't anything special about them.   I mean, the whole toppings bar has been around for a million years at Fuddrucker's.  

On our last cruise, our daughter's boyfriend was thrilled with Guy's.  He had several, and raved about them.  First off, I'm disappointed in myself for clearly having not grilled a burger for him myself out in the back yard.  Secondly, I can't wait till the next time we see him, so that we can take him to the local Big Boy and make him try a burger with tartar sauce on it.  Mind Blown.

And honestly, if you want a *real* burger...there's only one place to go...

powers.jpg

I'd put McDonald's a step ahead of guys, without a doubt.  The new quarter pounder is cooked fresh to order, unlike the thin guys patties drying out on a tray.

Can you get a better burger at numerous burger joints across the U.S.? Yep.

Can you get any of those burgers on a cruise ship? Nope.

Guy's doesn't have to be the best fast-food burger in the world. But they probably are the best fast-food burger at sea.

So if you're in the middle of the ocean and you've got a massive craving for a burger, Guy's is a pretty good cure. And for anyone who lived through the grey mystery-meat burgers that used to be served in the buffet, Guy's is a solidly good burger in comparison. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Can you get a better burger at numerous burger joints across the U.S.? Yep.

Can you get any of those burgers on a cruise ship? Nope.

Guy's doesn't have to be the best fast-food burger in the world. But they probably are the best fast-food burger at sea.

So if you're in the middle of the ocean and you've got a massive craving for a burger, Guy's is a pretty good cure. And for anyone who lived through the grey mystery-meat burgers that used to be served in the buffet, Guy's is a solidly good burger in comparison. 

Celebrity makes a substantially better complimentary pool side burger than guys. Arguably HAL, too.

And I know not everyone will agree, but Johnny Rockets and Playmakers does a better, hot, made to order burger than guys as well (at an extra cost).

Edited by BNBR

I also disagree with this. On ships pre Guys they had The Grill, which served some pretty good and thick burgers, they also had hot dogs, chicken sandwich, and sometimes they had a thin steak on a hoagie which was really good. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

I also disagree with this. On ships pre Guys they had The Grill, which served some pretty good and thick burgers, they also had hot dogs, chicken sandwich, and sometimes they had a thin steak on a hoagie which was really good. 

I agree.  I thought the food at the old grill was better. And it was open late.  I always went there for a midnight snack and watch the super long line for pizza 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

I agree.  I thought the food at the old grill was better. And it was open late.  I always went there for a midnight snack and watch the super long line for pizza 

I do miss the late night burger.  I much prefer a burger and fries after a late night of party than the pizzas they serve.  I think Guy's burgers tastes better for a burger then the pizzas compared to just about any other pizza I've eaten.  But then again I did live in Chicago 29 years ago and nothing beats a Giordano's deep dish. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coevan said:

Well, that's the thing about opinions - everyone has one. Personally, I didn't like the old burgers at all. 

So since none of us can agree on burgers, can we all come together and agree that the BLT sandwiches from room service are the bomb? 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1