Room Ready when you board

mcgratru

Haven’t been on Princess in a bit and couldn’t find any recent threads on this topic. One of the things we always enjoyed about Princess was having our cabin available at boarding. Is this no longer the case?

Cabins are usually ready for occupancy when boarding.  Sometimes they may be delayed but have not read much of anything past ~1pm.  Many report being able to drop carry-ons if not quite ready.  Also, that they can often get in after having lunch if were not ready.  We have never had a problem with it and not had a delay as yet. 

I think you don't see threads on it since it isn't an issue.  Often those doing a review or "live from" will mention if/when they got into cabins.

Edited by steelers36

On our recent Princess cruises, they've announced that cabins would not be ready until 1. We've still been able to go to drop off our carryon luggage and lock things in the safe before heading off to lunch in the dining room. They make an announcement when all cabins are ready.

1 hour ago, mcgratru said:

Haven’t been on Princess in a bit and couldn’t find any recent threads on this topic. One of the things we always enjoyed about Princess was having our cabin available at boarding. Is this no longer the case?

We have found that in the last year or so Princess has been trading off the cabins being ready when you board with starting boarding anywhere from 10:30 to Noon. They would ask that passengers get something to eat or explore the ship while waiting for the cabins to be ready which happens by 1pm. On some ships they would also provide a dedicated location with an attendant and claim checks to leave any carryons that you do not want to have lug around.

We love to be able to board early and always head to the DR at either 11:30 or Noon (depending on the ship) and have a nice relaxing lunch. By the time we are done the cabins are usually ready.

Doesn't bother us to have to wait and it gives Stewart time to do a very difficult job on turnaround day without having to deal with passengers.

Recently they have been ready either when we get on or shortly after.

• Like 2

My last 2 Princess cruises my cabin wasn't available until 1.  Not a big deal for me.  I enjoy lunch and looking around the ship a little until cabin is ready.  I'm glad to be on board early.

My last 3 cruises we couldn't even get in the hallway to drop off bags until 1 pm.  These were on the Grand, Star and Caribbean.  We usually get to the port around 11:30 and go to the dining room for lunch.  Ample time to unpack and get a cocktail before muster.  

We sail on 1/26 In Regal and I received an email with boarding times based on your room location. (Progressive check in) We are on Baja and it gives us a 2:30 check in time 😟. We were planning to board early. I am assuming it means our room won’t be ready until then, but I don’t think we will be turned away if we show up early. We did all the pre check in on the Medallion app.  Does anyone have any experience with this? 

11 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

We sail on 1/26 In Regal and I received an email with boarding times based on your room location. (Progressive check in) We are on Baja and it gives us a 2:30 check in time 😟. We were planning to board early. I am assuming it means our room won’t be ready until then, but I don’t think we will be turned away if we show up early. We did all the pre check in on the Medallion app.  Does anyone have any experience with this? 

No that is a standerd boarding time email and a suggestion sent to all.

It has nothing to do with rooms being ready.

Just show up when you want and usually receive a boarding group number.

Boarding usually starts around 11:00am.

• Like 1

We sailed on Regal on 12/15/19 and we were able to board at 10:20AM. Our room was not ready and we didn't think it would be. We locked up valuables in the safe since all of the cabin doors were open and then we took off for a cup of coffee.

• Like 1

On our recent sailings, check-in staff have indicated that there would be an announcement inboard when cabins are ready.

We have enough respect for the stewards ti stay the heck out of their way ... they work hard enuf without having to work around people before cabins are announced as ready

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Usually they are available, or at a minimum you could drop your bags and go explore.

Well IMO at a minimum you may have to wait until they are available. 

I don't assume or expect anything.

If they go to the trouble of closing fire doors and blocking access until they are cleaned we stay away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

We sailed on Regal on 12/15/19 and we were able to board at 10:20AM. Our room was not ready and we didn't think it would be. We locked up valuables in the safe since all of the cabin doors were open and then we took off for a cup of coffee.

We were on the same trip and no one was kept from their cabins even if they weren't ready. Ours was & were were unpacked before we went to lunch at the buffet. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

If they go to the trouble of closing fire doors and blocking access until they are cleaned we stay away.

I would too, that's not what I said though.  I said usually they are available and if not you could drop your bags.  I've not seen fire doors closed, if so I wouldn't open them, but that hasn't been my experience.

• Like 1

Give it time ... wait for the angst when Princess decides no one boards til all cabins are  ready ... save a bundle on lunch ... some will call it a cutback rather than a  response to pax sense of entitlement  

Edited by pms4104

We have had one cruise (on Regal a while back) where doors were closed off.  Otherwise had access at least for drop-off.  Never can tell and it seems to depend on the ship with the big sisters taking more time.  Also, cabins can be ready or not ready on a variable time basis.  It depends on the workload of each steward and how fast they get done.  Perhaps some get a supervisory inspection before clearing for new people?

I don't see a problem if there is a cabin access delay.  Happy to be on the ship.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Give it time ... wait for the angst when Princess decides no one boards til all cabins are  ready ... save a bundle on lunch ... some will call it a cutback rather than a  response to pax sense of entitlement 

I could see this happening  for sure, but assume they know people will still go eat when they board regardless of if it's noon or 2pm.

The main problem in answering your question is the only correct answer is "It depends..."  We are Platinum and on every cruise for us, there was always a crew member operating the elevator from the Atrium and they would only take you up to the Lido deck.  Even when asked, if you requested a different deck the answer was always 'not until the rooms are released.'  Some people have not experienced this and got to their cabin while it was still being made up and some people sneak their way to their cabin. It seems to differ from ship to ship and sailing to sailing for each ship.  To paraphrase Forrest Gump: Cruising with Princess was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're going to get.

• Like 1

When we travel on RCCL, we aren't allowed in our room till 1:00 PM at the earliest and they even have staff at the hallways to guard against you even trying. Our last Princess cruise was 2 years ago on the Royal and we were able to go to our stateroom as soon as we got on board around 11:30 AM. Our next Princess cruise is the end of March on Emerald and we are anticipating a similar experience.

• Like 1