Empress of the seas - 12 nights with Kids - Are we crazy?

We are long-time loyalist to Royal Caribbean and live in Florida so we have plenty of the 7 night caribbean cruises under our belts. However we want to try something NEW! 

I'm eyeballing the 12 night out of Montreal that would bring us back to Miami but have a few concerns. 

In an oceanview room with a 5 and 3 year old would we still love each other afterwards?  In seriousness, they DO Have Adventure Ocean for Aquanauts on this ship, correct? Ages 3-5 are together so the kids would finally be together on this ship. We just can't find confirmation on that anywhere. 

Also, as for the ports, does anyone know where we port in some of the key dates? Specifically NYC, do they port us in New Jersey or will it be in the middle of downtown next to the intrepid? 

Lots to consider when it comes how to transport. Bring car seats? Use them in taxi's? We're ready for an adventure but want to be safe. Thanks for the feedback! 

a cruise that long will have almost no other kids on board.  That being said.. they will lump ALL kids together in the kids club so your 3 and 5 year old will be in with the older preteens.  And what if they hate it?  

kids that age are walking tornadoes.  Personally I think the cabin will get far too crowded and messy even if you walk behind them picking up every step of the way.  If you must do it, balcony at minimum.  That way during nap time you can get some space.  

the ship itself doesn’t have much to do on board for kids.  So be prepared for a lot of ‘I’m bored’ whinging. If the weather sucks, no pool time either( assumption is the younger is fully potty trained). 

I wouldn’t do it on a ship that small, and definite not in anything less than a balcony

• Like 1

The oceanview cabins are very tiny on this ship.  No chair or sofa to sit on.  They are that small.  Personally I think they are too small for 4 people. I'd be nuts trying to keep hold of the chaos. Google some pictures. 

There are about 6 cabins that are bigger oceanview right aft of the aft elevator.  They still don't have a chair or sofa but have a bit more room.  Get one of those if you can. Even the Jr suites on this ship are about the size of a regular balcony. 

Kids that age will still have fun even if it's just running around and being in the pool (if the weather is good.)

One of our best cruises ever was on her for 11 nights in an inside cabin.  We just didn't spend anytime in the room.  It's so tiny we had to side step each other. We've booked her again next year in one of those oceanview cabins I mentioned. 

Edited by cruiselvr04

I have sailed in an obstructed view cabin on Empress.  Not sure 2 adults really fit comfortably in an Ocean View let alone 4 people.  I would not put four people in an Ocean View.  It is a really tiny cabin.  Remember this is an old ship. 

I like the ship but not sure there is really enough for children.

Also, Royal Caribbean usually docks in Bayonne.  Bayonne port is not really near public transport.  The only reason I like the port is I can drive to it.

NCL and Oceania use the port next to Intrepid.  Cunard and I think Princess sail from Brooklyn.  I forget where Carnival docks.

Look at Brilliance of the Seas out of Boston to Tampa. Much nicer ship.

• Day1: Boston - Massachusetts
    • Sun Oct 25 2020 | Depart 05:00 PM
    • Day2: Cruising
    • Mon Oct 26 2020
    • Day3: Cruising
    • Tue Oct 27 2020
    • Day4: Cruising
    • Wed Oct 28 2020
    • Day5: San Juan - Puerto Rico
    • Thu Oct 29 2020 | 09:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day6: Cruising
    • Fri Oct 30 2020
    • Day7: Willemstad - Curacao
    • Sat Oct 31 2020 | 08:00 AM To 08:00 PM
    • Day8: Oranjestad - Aruba
    • Sun Nov 01 2020 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day9: Cruising
    • Mon Nov 02 2020
    • Day10: George Town - Grand Cayman
    • Tue Nov 03 2020 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day11: Cruising
    • Wed Nov 04 2020
    • Day12: Tampa - Florida
    • Thu Nov 05 2020 | Arrive 07:00 AM

3 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

While I would not recommend that particular voyage(all in 1 cabin for 12 days).

I am pretty sure I wouldn't even do any voyage on that ship 

Even if it was totally free....

I really like the ship.  Wouldn't touch Anthem unless it were free.  Everybody has different likes and dislikes. Personal preference has a lot to do with what people like and do not like about a ship.

I have also seen happy children on Empress, but probably not the best choice.  However, 1 small cabin, 4-people, 12 days: not good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LB_NJ said:

I really like the ship.  Wouldn't touch Anthem unless it were free.  Everybody has different likes and dislikes. Personal preference has a lot to do with what people like and do not like about a ship.

I have also seen happy children on Empress, but probably not the best choice.  However, 1 small cabin, 4-people, 12 days: not good.

I like them both.

17 minutes ago, ljmandelbaum said:

What don't you like about EMpress?  Thinking about booking a 7 night for Christmas week

With or without children?  Also, depending on many things it may have many college students depending on exactly when it is sailing, etc.

6 hours ago, mtsublueraider said:

Also, as for the ports, does anyone know where we port in some of the key dates? Specifically NYC, do they port us in New Jersey or will it be in the middle of downtown next to the intrepid? 

any RCI ship that is just making a day stop in NY usually docks in manhattan, not Bayonne.   They reserve Bayonne (Cape Liberty) for cruises that start or end there.

That being said, here is the itinerary for the sailing on 16OCT2020:

Fri 16Oct2020Montreal, Quebec-4:00 PMBoarding

Sat 17Oct2020Quebec City, Quebec, Canada9:00 AM6:00 PMDocked

Sun 18Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Mon 19Oct2020Sydney, Nova Scotia8:30 AM3:30 PMDocked

Tue 20Oct2020Halifax, Nova Scotia9:00 AM4:00 PMDocked

Wed 21Oct2020Saint John, New Brunswick (Bay Of Fundy)12:00 PM8:00 PMDocked

Thu 22Oct2020Bar Harbor, Maine7:00 AM6:00 PMTendered

Fri 23Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Sat 24Oct2020New York City, New York7:00 AM9:00 PMDocked

Sun 25Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Mon 26Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Tue 27Oct2020Port Canaveral, Florida7:00 AM6:30 PMDocked

Wed 28Oct2020Miami, Florida8:00 AM-Departure

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The oceanview cabins are very tiny on this ship.  No chair or sofa to sit on.  They are that small.  Personally I think they are too small for 4 people. I'd be nuts trying to keep hold of the chaos. Google some pictures. 

There are about 6 cabins that are bigger oceanview right aft of the aft elevator.  They still don't have a chair or sofa but have a bit more room.  Get one of those if you can. Even the Jr suites on this ship are about the size of a regular balcony. 

Kids that age will still have fun even if it's just running around and being in the pool (if the weather is good.)

One of our best cruises ever was on her for 11 nights in an inside cabin.  We just didn't spend anytime in the room.  It's so tiny we had to side step each other. We've booked her again next year in one of those oceanview cabins I mentioned. 

T

Thank you! I think the reason we are thinking about it is we really won't spend much time in the room. There are SO many port days and only 3 maybe 4 sea days over the 12 nights. I think there will be plenty to do OFF the ship. And we can get this cruise for the same price it normally costs us to do 7 nights on an Oasis class. 

2 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

any RCI ship that is just making a day stop in NY usually docks in manhattan, not Bayonne.   They reserve Bayonne (Cape Liberty) for cruises that start or end there.

That being said, here is the itinerary for the sailing on 16OCT2020:

Fri 16Oct2020Montreal, Quebec-4:00 PMBoarding

Sat 17Oct2020Quebec City, Quebec, Canada9:00 AM6:00 PMDocked

Sun 18Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Mon 19Oct2020Sydney, Nova Scotia8:30 AM3:30 PMDocked

Tue 20Oct2020Halifax, Nova Scotia9:00 AM4:00 PMDocked

Wed 21Oct2020Saint John, New Brunswick (Bay Of Fundy)12:00 PM8:00 PMDocked

Thu 22Oct2020Bar Harbor, Maine7:00 AM6:00 PMTendered

Fri 23Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Sat 24Oct2020New York City, New York7:00 AM9:00 PMDocked

Sun 25Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Mon 26Oct2020Cruising--Cruising

Tue 27Oct2020Port Canaveral, Florida7:00 AM6:30 PMDocked

Wed 28Oct2020Miami, Florida8:00 AM-Departure

That's what I was HOPING because it says New York City instead of New Jersey. Even the agent on the phone said they thought it was NJ. Wondering though... 

43 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

While I would not recommend that particular voyage(all in 1 cabin for 12 days).

I am pretty sure I wouldn't even do any voyage on that ship 

Even if it was totally free....

I agree. Not worth my vacation time even if it was free. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Look at Brilliance of the Seas out of Boston to Tampa. Much nicer ship.

• Day1: Boston - Massachusetts
    • Sun Oct 25 2020 | Depart 05:00 PM
    • Day2: Cruising
    • Mon Oct 26 2020
    • Day3: Cruising
    • Tue Oct 27 2020
    • Day4: Cruising
    • Wed Oct 28 2020
    • Day5: San Juan - Puerto Rico
    • Thu Oct 29 2020 | 09:00 AM To 07:00 PM
    • Day6: Cruising
    • Fri Oct 30 2020
    • Day7: Willemstad - Curacao
    • Sat Oct 31 2020 | 08:00 AM To 08:00 PM
    • Day8: Oranjestad - Aruba
    • Sun Nov 01 2020 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day9: Cruising
    • Mon Nov 02 2020
    • Day10: George Town - Grand Cayman
    • Tue Nov 03 2020 | 08:00 AM To 05:00 PM
    • Day11: Cruising
    • Wed Nov 04 2020
    • Day12: Tampa - Florida
    • Thu Nov 05 2020 | Arrive 07:00 AM

Honestly that's the voyage we were looking at that started this discussion but it's a little more expensive. MUCH nicer ship though I do agree. However it doesn't let us do the "Fall" ports that we are so interested in. We love Quebec City and sailed there on the Queen Mary 2. If we wanted the caribbean we would do that from Florida. 

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I have sailed in an obstructed view cabin on Empress.  Not sure 2 adults really fit comfortably in an Ocean View let alone 4 people.  I would not put four people in an Ocean View.  It is a really tiny cabin.  Remember this is an old ship. 

I like the ship but not sure there is really enough for children.

Also, Royal Caribbean usually docks in Bayonne.  Bayonne port is not really near public transport.  The only reason I like the port is I can drive to it.

NCL and Oceania use the port next to Intrepid.  Cunard and I think Princess sail from Brooklyn.  I forget where Carnival docks.

I think I'm looking at it more of.... will we get good meals... be able to sleep the night... and generally have a good time having transportation to all of the different ports. On Oasis Class... the SHIP is the destination. On this... we wouldn't have to tender, fight crowds, or deal with the other things associated with the larger ship. And it's half the cost. 

Taking all of that into consideration. 

Would ANYONE do it? 🙂

4 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I agree. Not worth my vacation time even if it was free. 

That's amazing. Are the people rude? Is it  dirty? 

EVEN IF IT WAS FREE? That's strong... I'm curious. 

I see you're diamond so you've obviously sailed a ton. It's not an apples to apples comparison to newer ships of course but was it like crossing the high seas on the Santa Maria? 

It can't be that bad or else the ship would sail empty!