orange party

esimon

On the Amsterdam on the Incan Empires cruise in September, it was held in the Crows Nest. Lots of decorations, live band, very well attended by passengers all wearing something orange.

on the Veendam in November it was held in the Ocean Bar, DJ supplied the music, attended just by a handful of passengers. 

Nothing special on Eurodam.  It was held in the BB King lounge making an already crowded room almost unbearable.  To make matters worse, it was the final stop on a bar crawl, so the bartenders were busy lining the bar with some sort of orange cocktail for the crawlers.  It was nearly impossible to get a drink from the tiny bar in that venue.  

Edited by Aquahound

1 minute ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I don't own anything orange nor would I buy anything orange just for a couple of hours.

You wouldn't do well in Tennessee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, esimon said:

I know they do this on all cruises.  What is it?   big deal??  what to expect?

The Netherlands (aka Holland) was ruled by the House of Orange for a long period of time.  So HAL celebrates that connection by having an "Orange" party.  It would be nice if they wrote about the significance of the party since so few people, esp. Americans, know anything about the connection between "orange" and HAL.  We had done 6 cruises on HAL ships before our TA on the Zuiderdam a few years ago where we first experienced the Orange Party.

4 hours ago, esimon said:

I know they do this on all cruises.  What is it?   big deal??  what to expect?

Very disappointing event on Oosterdam ten days ago; basically a normal set of the BB King All-Star band with some desserts handed out by wait staff, Dutch beer (which is always available) and a table being brought in with orange t-shirts and hats for sale 

2 hours ago, Hobbsey said:

What happens if someone shows with no Orange clothing nor accessories?  

They're forced to provide the following night's main stage entertainment.

Oh wait....that might be a good thing for all.  😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Ours was up in the Crow's Nest during the day and I think it was on the day of the King's Birthday (April 27), which is a national holiday in the Netherlands.

No, that was Koningsdag (King's Day), a whole different thing from the Orange Party.  Koningsdag is done just once a year on HAL ships -- as well as throughout The Netherlands.  However, the Orange Party is always done in the evening/night and is done on EVERY cruise.  But we (well, most of the pax) do wear orange for Koningsdag.

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Very disappointing event on Oosterdam ten days ago; basically a normal set of the BB King All-Star band with some desserts handed out by wait staff, Dutch beer (which is always available) and a table being brought in with orange t-shirts and hats for sale 

That was our experience also on the Nieuw Statendam in November.  Much ado about nothing. 😏 A bunch of people in orange t-shirts dancing to BB King music.

58 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Anyone attend a Kings Day/Orange Party on April 27th?  We will be onboard the Oosterdam then and was wondering if there would be a special celebration/event.

Koningsdag/"Kings day"  is usually a much more festive event onboard. If they're gonna "honor their Dutch heritage" with an orange party on every cruise like is being done now, it should be based on Koningsdag or, before Willem A took over from his mum, Koninginnedag or get rid of it 

Image result for Koninginnedag 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lvz2cruz said:

We're in TN and have no orange.   Did not grow up here though.  I HATE orange.  

You and me both.  Makes me look jaundiced. 

1 minute ago, Roz said:

You and me both.  Makes me look jaundiced. 

oh my!! That's how I am about orange and some pinks.  They don't make my skin look right.   

I see you're in Nashville--we're on the Hendersonville/Gallatin border.

• Like 1