Glacier Question

kbset

Hi!

All of my immediate family members are going on an Alaskan cruise together and I am responsible for booking the cruise 🙂 We plan on cursing with Princess to Alaska (Emerald Princess) and they have 2 itineraries I am trying to decide between and it all comes down to the Glaciers:

Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier

OR
Glacier Bay National Park

Looking for recommendations/advice.

Thank you!

If that's your only differential criteria, then Glacier Bay - for sure! Endicott has for years been just the 'Tracy Arm backup' - i.e. it's the least desirable of all the mainstream ship glacier options - but it seems some lines have started to just list it as the one they visit instead of stating Tracy, then having p*ssed-off pax when ice prevents access and they have to substitute Endicott.

GB has multiple glaciers, and provides almost a whole day of scenic cruising - plus you'll have park rangers join you onboard to give the spiel about what you're seeing.

I'm sure there are other differences too - price if nothing else - and it's not like any day of glacier viewing sucks, so I'm sure you'd still have a good time on an Endicott cruise... but since that's your only question, the comparison is about as much of a no-brainer as it gets on subjective matters.

• Like 2

Yeah, between those two, Glacier Bay. 

I have been in your shoes twice -- for family groups of 8 and of 10. The last one was just too stressful (although EVERYTHING went off faultless, I was a nervous wreck and WAY over-did the Beverage Package!), so my next AK cruise is for just five of us.

Oddly enough, after two Glacier Bay and one Hubbard Glacier scenic cruising days, I now want to see Tracy Arm in a smaller boat and our two AK cruises do not have that as an excursion because they come to Juneau from Icy Strait Point instead of Ketchikan.