Looking for pros/cons on air

njkate

I'm curious after the Star TA fiasco and NCL only offering $300 pp change fees, and some had to cancel or were taking multiple flights that it doesn't cover if booking air with NCL is better.

I have a Greece/Turkey cruise booked for November and beginning to wonder if I'm better off having my air through NCL or booking on my own. I'm assuming if NCL cancels cruise, changes dates etc then your air would be adjusted/ refunded by NCL?

We were on the abbreviated Getaway TA last April-May when NCL decided with about a week's notice to cut the TA from 12 days to 10 and eliminate the 2 most popular ports.  The kerfuffle here on CC was almost seismic plus the phone calls and emails inundating NCL HQ in Miami shamed NCL into changing the $300/pp from airline-changes only to $300/pp for ANY additional expenses.  They also added a few other incentives plus itinerary changes but only after the avalanche of complaints here on CC & the aforesaid emails & phone calls to NCL corporate.  We made the decision to stay in the UK for the additional 2 days and got $600 for our hotel plus taxi fares in-and-around London & out to Gatwick to catch our flight.  At some point we'll also "cash-in" our FCC credit of 25%.

We were also looking at the Star TA this year and are VERY glad we didn't book it!  We were looking at the price to come down some more, to be honest.  We were also booked on another TA out of NYC in April but decided to cancel before the final payment.  I don't know what the problem is at NCL but these "incidents"  with ships going into dry dock seem to be happening MUCH more often than in the past.  They also seem to be doing a LOT of back-peddling in that when something happens they offer some compensation then adjust the compensation after gauging pax's reactions on CC, social media, phone calls, etc.  So IMHO, I just do not trust NCL any longer to "do the right thing" unless prodded or shamed into doing it.

So in answer to your original question, I'd book my own air rather than rely on NCL.  If they offer airfare I'd take another perq. instead.  Again, my 2 cents.  Hope you have a great cruise!  We did the Greek Isles & Turkey out of Venice on the Jade a few years back.  Had a great time!

Edited by tomk3212
  • Like 1

We're using NCL to book, this cruise, however I've always booked my own air in the past and have never regretted it.  Control of the seats, ability to change them.  Use of the the airline's app for flight updates and reminders.  If, at the last second you find yourself with a few extra bucks and you want to upgrade to Business Class, boom.  You're good.

You have none of that when a cruise line locks you in to an itinerary.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

There are numerous stories on CC of people taking the NCL air and them contacting the airline to select seats, and even upgrade once their flights are booked. I'm hoping those stories are true because that's what I'm hoping to do in April.

My guess would be this works only if you hold some level of elite status with the airline.  Otherwise, NCL controls the reservation and the airline is perfectly within its right not to talk to you.

2 hours ago, Joken35 said:

We are booked through NCL for airfare on a cruise to SA. Once the flight info was sent to us, we were able to change our seats on one leg of this flight.

Just to add to this, we are a party of seven flying from Toronto Canada to San Juan in February, 6 of us were able to book when the NCL Air Promo was on and paid $256 Canadian each for our return flight, the 7th member travelling with us booked after the Air Promo was over and is paying $1500 Canadian return to be on the same flight.

We received our confirmations for airfare approximately 55 days out from NCL and with our flight reservation number we all were able to access the Air Canada website and confirm and upgrade our seats without issue, and just pay for the difference.

We are all quite pleased with what NCL arranged, they are direct flights and leaving and returning at decent hours.

We all would not hesitate to book with this promotion again.