Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
casica

Gratuity on a free "perk" Classic Beverage package?

I 've been getting conflicting information from Celebrity regarding the 20% gratuity on a Classic Beverage package when it's one of my free perks. One representative told me that because I also have the free prepaid gratuity perk, that the beverage gratuities are covered and there is no extra charge. Yet the website wording says the prepaid gratuities are  only for stateroom waiter, asst waiter and headwaiter with no mention of bar or beverage service.

The second representative I spoke with said the gratuities were NOT included and were only applicable to anything over the $9 drink maximum and had to be paid per drink! I find that ridiculous and hard to believe.

Clearly theres a lack of proper training and communication. 

I need to know what the actual policy is and get it in writing. Where would I find this? Sailing on 5 day Infinity in late February. 

Prepaid gratuities are a separate perk from the drink package—you may or may not have them, depending on the perks you selected.

The service charge/gratuity for the beverage package perk is included.

Edited by hiccups

10 minutes ago, casica said:

The second representative I spoke with said the gratuities were NOT included and were only applicable to anything over the $9 drink maximum and had to be paid per drink! I find that ridiculous and hard to believe.

This is correct.

There is nothing to pay on drinks within the package limits so no gratuity on those.

On anything over the package limit of $9 you will pay the difference and the gratuity on that difference.

Gratuities are included on the Free Beverage Packages.   You can however over tip if you choose.

Also, while not conveyed clearly, the CS rep meant if you order a drink that is above the $9 limit for the classic package, you will pay the difference in price plus the 20% gratuity.

Edited by hiccups

Going by past experience - there are no extra gratuities to pay on the beverage package which is a perk. If however you wish to order a drink which is over $9 i.e a drink costing $12. You would pay 20% on the $3 surcharge. It looks like the second rep confused the issue by saying the grats are NOT included when clearly they are. If you only ordered drinks within the Classic package, you would not pay anything extra. This is exactly what happened with us

Never had any issues with the staff charging incorrectly.  Yes Celebrity Reps need to learn a basic clarification of things but I also no the hardships of when dealing with people on phones concerning reservations on how twisted things can get.  

Dont over think it.    In general there is 4 perks on Celebrity(WIFI and OBC)and  2 of them deal with gratuities but in different areas

1) free Grats is for shipboard and restaurant staff only and does not include the bar/beverage or wine staff. 

2)Drink package if have as a perk most would have Classic bev package includes the grats in any drink up to $9.00.  Anything over you pay the difference plus grats.  For example $12.00 drink.  Classic Bev Package covers $9.00.  You would be responsible for 3 plus 20% or 3.60.  

Thank you to everyone for the replies. Much appreciated!