Oprah and HAL

VTcruisenut

I'm not sure Oprah was ever that involved beyond, perhaps, the initial publicity. Some posters insisted on bringing up the connection repeatedly on CC for a while as the reason for every HAL failing.

It could be worse. Gwyneth Paltrow is now linked with Celebrity -- together they are planning a "GOOP at sea" cruise, which may morph into more. Read here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2722637-gwyneth-paltrows-goop-at-sea-is-coming-to-celebrity/

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Currently on Koningsdam since yesterday 12th Jan. Oprah was mentioned in something regarding book loan. I have re read the 'when & where' for both days and there is nothing. So, must have been on the Navigator App itinerary. No other presence onboard. 😁

25 minutes ago, Dunelm said:

We should not be surprised about ships being connected to celebrities.  We are a culture enthralled with celebrities.  By the way, so was the Roman Empire,

Well, that doesn't bode well for us, does it?

I have no desire to listen to some celebrity tell me how to live my life. How does being famous make anyone an expert? But it's all part of the cruise lines' (not just HAL) desire to get attention by linking to something or someone that's popular. I think HAL may be an "industry leader" with so many--Oprah, ATK (on its way out), BB King, Rolling Stone, Lincoln Center. It's like they have no identity of their own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

It could be worse. Gwyneth Paltrow is now linked with Celebrity -- together they are planning a "GOOP at sea" cruise, which may morph into more. Read here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2722637-gwyneth-paltrows-goop-at-sea-is-coming-to-celebrity/

Want to know what you are missing out on not having GOOP and Paltrow on HAL?😏🤯😷

https://shop.goop.com/shop/products/this-smells-like-my-vagina-candle?country=USA&variant_id=74552

2 hours ago, Dunelm said:

We are a culture enthralled with celebrities.  

Please define 'We'.

Are 'we' enthralled by celebrities or does the media feel we are, or should be, enthralled by them.

And again, what is a celebrity? Who defines a 'celebrity'. It is in the media's interest to promote them to sell product.

2 hours ago, colbe said:

https://shop.goop.com/shop/products/this-smells-like-my-vagina-candle?country=USA&variant_id=74552

unreal!  do companies and people have no class any longer?  I would find this offensive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Please define 'We'.

Are 'we' enthralled by celebrities or does the media feel we are, or should be, enthralled by them.

And again, what is a celebrity? Who defines a 'celebrity'. It is in the media's interest to promote them to sell product.

By "we" I mean a country of people, maybe/maybe not a majority, who often follow tabloid news about anyone "famous."  A culture is connected to normative, habitual behavior.  Some folk seem to be followers of celebrities  That is their norm or habitual behavior.  I am not on social media, but I know there are some "celebrities" who seem to be besotted with their number of followers on certain internet sites.

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

There was a morning yoga-type "breathe" activity on Oosterdam last week that I believe mentioned an Oprah connection.  I didn't pay too much attention and didn't notice anything else.

Last week on NA, there were 3 7am "meditation" times that mentioned the O Magazine interspersed through out the week. That is all I ever saw. Sounds kind of like what you mentioned. I did not attend one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colbe said:

Just when you thought you had seen it all....

Well back in 2018 I think she and her minions were championing women putting egg shaped semi precious stones up our hoo haws for goodness can only guess what reason. It made the Washington Post and countless other newspapers it was so silly. AND obviously they were selling said "eggs" for $66 a piece. I personally think the woman has serious issues.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been pleased that there seems to be less and less of Oprah stuff onboard.  We hope that continues. 

Perhaps the executives in Seattle enjoyed their time with her for elite bragging rights but that's the only reason I can understand why HAL would choose someone who is political.  I'm sure they were clueless when they chose her that many passengers would not feel the warm feelings they felt.  

• Like 3

Now I've seen it all, in this fractured society we are all living in.  People that are proud to hate Oprah. I'm sick of it, keep your hate to yourselves.  And yes, the culture is so shallow that it is obsessed with celebrities.

• Like 4

On my last HAL cruise, I remember seeing something on the daily about a Oprah themed event, but don't remember what it was.  So thank goodness, the whole Oprah thing was very subtle.

I don't even want to know what a goop is.  

Edited by Aquahound

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

On my last HAL cruise, I remember seeing something on the daily about a Oprah themed event, but don't remember what it was.  So thank goodness, the whole Oprah thing was very subtle.

I don't even want to know what a goop is.  

Well, at first I thought it was the soap my father would use to get grease off his hands when he worked on the car.

http://goophandcleaner.com/original-goop/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, opa&oma said:

Now I've seen it all, in this fractured society we are all living in.  People that are proud to hate Oprah. I'm sick of it, keep your hate to yourselves.  And yes, the culture is so shallow that it is obsessed with celebrities.

Goodness. Who said they "hate" Oprah? I have nothing against the woman but I am not a fan. Her show just never was my thing. Others are not fond and even disagree with some of her views. I think many others never quite got the HAL + Oprah thing but none of that translates into hate.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Goodness. Who said they "hate" Oprah? I have nothing against the woman but I am not a fan. Her show just never was my thing. Others are not fond and even disagree with some of her views. I think many others never quite got the HAL + Oprah thing but none of that translates into hate.

I would sum up my reaction to her the same way you did. But there were some very nasty comments when the connection was first announced. At the beginning, HAL made it sound like she was going to revamp the menus and have much more influence over the cruise experience than it turned out to be. Another one of those HAL "big announcements" that ended up to be less than they made it sound like.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I would sum up my reaction to her the same way you did. But there were some very nasty comments when the connection was first announced. At the beginning, HAL made it sound like she was going to revamp the menus and have much more influence over the cruise experience than it turned out to be. Another one of those HAL "big announcements" that ended up to be less than they made it sound like.

That is true. Some of the comments back then were over the top.

18 hours ago, opa&oma said:

I agree with you.  We certainly need a lot more kindness in our society.  Personally, I think social media has a lot to do with the polarization.  There are other factors, too.

• Like 1