Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Tom O.

Irritating Photographers

Recommended Posts

On board photography is one of those areas where cruise lines try to make up for having low prices for cruises. And as a result, there is a real push to sell this service.

I find the photographers to be sometimes overly aggressive in trying to get their pictures. 

This is especially true of the ones involved in trying to get you to pose by the gangway. I know that someone will say to just ignore them, and that is what I do. But I find it a little like shutting the door on a door-to-door salesman. I feel like I am being rude, when it is really the other way around.

I wish if they are going to take pictures at the gangway, they would set it farther aside, so that people who want their pictures taken can go over to the area. And I wish that they wouldn't bother those who aren't interested.

I noticed that Viking Cruises advertises that they do not have photography sales, so I must not be the only one who doesn't want to deal with photographers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What irritates me more is the waste of photo paper and ink when there is no guarantee that the subject(s) will want to purchase the photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tell 'em "NO PHOTOGRAPHS, WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM......"😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HamOp said:

Just tell 'em "NO PHOTOGRAPHS, WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM......"😎

That's a good one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

What irritates me more is the waste of photo paper and ink when there is no guarantee that the subject(s) will want to purchase the photo.

 It was all digital on the Nieuw Statendam in October.  Hopefully the rest of the ships will update soon.  You scan your card and any picture of you is displayed on a monitor.  The pictures are printed if you want to purchase them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We pass on embarkation photos without any problem....same for port pictures when you get off the ship.  We also decline dining room photos and have never been treated with disgust, the photographer moves on.  Ironically, when I would have liked a photo with my grand daughter for her birthday at gala night dinner on the Oosterdam last summer, one never stopped by.  It seemed that they pushed packages of photos instead of just one photo.

 

Karen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

What irritates me more is the waste of photo paper and ink when there is no guarantee that the subject(s) will want to purchase the photo

On our Fall cruise on the Noordam, they no longer printed and posted the photos. You logged onto a computer with your cruise card and by facial recognition your pics were there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've never find them pushy....We just simply say "no thank you" and all is well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have actually found them nowhere near as pushy like they used to be.  We always say no thanks and the last couple years have had no issues like previous years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DH and I were just on a 10-day Koningsdam cruise and we commented during the cruise we never saw any photographers. In the past, we have just always said "No thanks" and they went away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

 It was all digital on the Nieuw Statendam in October.  Hopefully the rest of the ships will update soon.  You scan your card and any picture of you is displayed on a monitor.  The pictures are printed if you want to purchase them.

 

I've seen that on other cruise lines; good to know that HAL is moving with the times.

Edited by daisy-mae
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the solution. I calmly pulled the aside and told them I had spiritual beliefs against photographing people.   They remembered for the whole cruise and left us walk by 
 

Edited by Mary229

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, catlet said:

On our Fall cruise on the Noordam, they no longer printed and posted the photos. You logged onto a computer with your cruise card and by facial recognition your pics were there. 

 

Wonder if this is true for all Vista Class ships... sure hope so, as we are sailing Oosterdam in March. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HamOp said:

Just tell 'em "NO PHOTOGRAPHS, WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM......"😎

 

Yes, we've been using that one for a while. Always gets a smile, from me at least.

 

Occasionally I'll say "it's not my wife" when they want to take a picture of us together.

 

The only ship I let then take a photo of me is on Royal Caribbean since I get a free photo for being Diamond, and then just a couple of shots.

Edited by MisterBill99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a bit hesitant to say this, but I’m very happy that as many photos were taken of my wife and I especially during the early years. Like some other folks here, I lost her two years ago. We are usually not professional photographers, and some of the photos taken and purchased by us are priceless, at least to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom O. said:

On board photography is one of those areas where cruise lines try to make up for having low prices for cruises. And as a result, there is a real push to sell this service.

I find the photographers to be sometimes overly aggressive in trying to get their pictures. 

This is especially true of the ones involved in trying to get you to pose by the gangway. I know that someone will say to just ignore them, and that is what I do. But I find it a little like shutting the door on a door-to-door salesman. I feel like I am being rude, when it is really the other way around.

I wish if they are going to take pictures at the gangway, they would set it farther aside, so that people who want their pictures taken can go over to the area. And I wish that they wouldn't bother those who aren't interested.

I noticed that Viking Cruises advertises that they do not have photography sales, so I must not be the only one who doesn't want to deal with photographers.

 

Perhaps Tom O., photographer's may find you so dapper and charismatic they can't resist asking to take a picture of you! 😎 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem saying "no thanks" and keep walking.  There was only one time that a gangway photographer was a little pushy.  We were rushing to make our tour on time and I mentioned that -- and she said "you have plenty of time" (!)  I just looked at her and laughed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I have no problem saying "no thanks" and keep walking.  There was only one time that a gangway photographer was a little pushy.  We were rushing to make our tour on time and I mentioned that -- and she said "you have plenty of time" (!)  I just looked at her and laughed.  

 

I would have had a different reaction to that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In recent years I have found it easy to bypass the embarkation and port photography setups. They are usually off to the side a bit, and not entirely blocking the route, as they did in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

We have actually found them nowhere near as pushy like they used to be.  We always say no thanks and the last couple years have had no issues like previous years.  

I agree. They seem less pushy. But that may be because I have switched cruise lines. I used cruise Princess and NCL. On NCL they were the worst.

 

43 minutes ago, jimmy2x said:

I’m a bit hesitant to say this, but I’m very happy that as many photos were taken of my wife and I especially during the early years. Like some other folks here, I lost her two years ago. We are usually not professional photographers, and some of the photos taken and purchased by us are priceless, at least to me. 

Sorry about your loss. We have some photos from cruises that we really like too. Mostly the formal photos. But we don't have them taken anymore, we have enough.

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Perhaps Tom O., photographer's may find you so dapper and charismatic they can't resist asking to take a picture of you! 😎 

Thanks, but I find that unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I found the solution. I calmly pulled the aside and told them I had spiritual beliefs against photographing people.   They remembered for the whole cruise and left us walk by 
 

Is that true or just a ruse like the "Witness Protection Program" thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We usually pose for one or two during each cruise.  Sometimes we buy them and sometimes we don't  They are expensive but make good souvenir keepsakes.  You'll enjoy the photo long after you forget the money you spent on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We vary between no and yes.  It depends and yes, we buy the odd one.

 

Especially if it is a special occasion where friends are involved or an especially good shot.  There aren’t many but there have been some 😉 

Last year we did our first embarkation photo in years.  We said no and when the photographer said that there would never be another Prinsendam embarkation photo, we caved and hammed it up.

 

I don’t find them pushy.  If we say no thanks, it’s all good and if we pose, it’s good too.  Our choice 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always get the embarkation photo to remind us of where we went.  I have a book with all those.  Never purchase any others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...