Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Ladybug18

Dublin Hop On - Hop Off Bus Recommendations

Recommended Posts

Hello!

 

We will be in Dublin in July and our 8 year old son wants nothing more than to ride on a double deck bus! Any suggestions on Hop On - Hop Off bus companies? I know there are a few different companies operating these in Dublin. Anyone have a good one they can recommend? Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ladybug18 said:

We will be in Dublin in July and our 8 year old son wants nothing more than to ride on a double deck bus! Any suggestions on Hop On - Hop Off bus companies?

Theres only about 2 major ones and their routes are virtually identical. They only really work well at certain times of day-- make sure that you utilize it in the late morning to early afternoon. Go too early in the am or stay on the bus too late and you will be mired in atrocious traffic. 

 

Having done them a few times in Dublin I personally don't think they are the best way to see the city (its generally very walkable) but just make sure you don't get caught in the afternoon traffic after 4-430 or you will literally just sit there on the bus for a good while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Theres only about 2 major ones and their routes are virtually identical. They only really work well at certain times of day-- make sure that you utilize it in the late morning to early afternoon. Go too early in the am or stay on the bus too late and you will be mired in atrocious traffic. 

 

Having done them a few times in Dublin I personally don't think they are the best way to see the city (its generally very walkable) but just make sure you don't get caught in the afternoon traffic after 4-430 or you will literally just sit there on the bus for a good while. 

Thank you for your honest opinion. We’ve never been to Dublin so I’m not sure what to do and/or. Our son is dying to ride on a double decker bus, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you for your honest opinion. We’ve never been to Dublin so I’m not sure what to do and/or. Our son is dying to ride on a double decker bus, lol. 

Its not a bad way to get an overview of the city and get to popular spots further out like Kilmainham Goal and Guinness Storehouse but otherwise sights like St Stephens Green, Trinity College, Merrion Square, Grafton Street and Temple Bar are within an easy walk of each other and are better all explored on foot. Just keep an eye on the time because the busses get mired in traffic and will just sit later in the afternoon. 

 

Are you going to London at all on your trip? If so they run heritage Routemaster vintage double deckers (which I'm sure is the type of double decker bus your son is imagining, not the modern ones they run on the Hoho tours). Its route 15 and runs between Tower Hill and Trafalgar Square along the Strand. Well worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we were there three summers ago, there were three different HoHo companies: red, yellow, and green buses. We went with the yellow one. They had people doing live commentary. The green ones also had live commentary back then, but the red ones used taped commentary. We only got off at two stops, and one of those we hopped right back on after finding out that Teelings Distillery was closed for a private function that day. Our other stop was the Guinness Storehouse. We were there about two and a half hours. I enjoyed riding the rest of the route. We saw Kilmainham Gaol, Phoenix Park (and a small herd of fallow deer there) and the prime minister's residence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Are you going to London at all on your trip? If so they run heritage Routemaster vintage double deckers (which I'm sure is the type of double decker bus your son is imagining, not the modern ones they run on the Hoho tours). Its route 15 and runs between Tower Hill and Trafalgar Square along the Strand. Well worth it. 

Unfortunately we will not be in London. We fly into London, hop on our cruise transfer to Southampton and then take the transfer back to the airport and fly home. London is definitely on our bucket list so one day we will definitely get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 10:38 PM, Ladybug18 said:

Our son is dying to ride on a double decker bus,


But you don’t need to use one of the HOHO services to do that - Dublin Bus operates double deckers on many of its regular routes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 10:48 PM, princeton123211 said:

Are you going to London at all on your trip? If so they run heritage Routemaster vintage double deckers (which I'm sure is the type of double decker bus your son is imagining, not the modern ones they run on the Hoho tours). Its route 15 and runs between Tower Hill and Trafalgar Square along the Strand. Well worth it. 


Only on summer Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays since last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bus - but Dublin Duck Tours are a wonderful option.  WW2 amphibious craft - live (viking themed) commentary and a dip in the river.  Not sure if it suits your son OP - but if so there are not many of these Ducks left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you choose the green bus, be sure that it's really LIVE!  On 2 occasions, the bus was marked as live, the rep at the stop SAID it was live and it was recorded.  And on that bus, the recording really was dull and it was easy to lose interest.

 

I rode 3 times in November and finally just gave up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...