Cruise Critic Community
debnrick

Panorama Check in Time

Been reading a lot on the boarding times in Long Beach and a bit confused.  What time is the earliest you can arrive and be allowed in to the terminal???  I understand you can’t BOARD the ship until the previous passengers have disembarked. 

Also, we are arriving using Uber.  Do these drivers have easy access in to the luggage drop off points?

thanks

You should have chosen a boarding time and it will be on your boarding pass. 

It varies from port to port and ship to ship, but there is approximately an hour and a half between when ALL the passengers have debarked from the past cruise and new passengers are allowed to embark on the new cruise.

1 hour ago, debnrick said:

Been reading a lot on the boarding times in Long Beach and a bit confused.  What time is the earliest you can arrive and be allowed in to the terminal???  I understand you can’t BOARD the ship until the previous passengers have disembarked. 

Also, we are arriving using Uber.  Do these drivers have easy access in to the luggage drop off points?

thank

When you checked in online, what time did you get?  I think the earliest is 12:30-1:00.  Yes, an Uber driver can drive to the luggage drop off area, unless you're priority.

Edited by cathyz

I think the OP is asking what time will they be allowed to go and sit in the big domed terminal, not what time can they get on the ship.  I know that you used to have to wait outside the dome (in Long Beach) until your time/zone was called, but is it still that way?  Do you have to wait outside until your booked boarding time arrives?  Mine is 12:30 in a few weeks, but our plane lands at 7:30am so I'm curious too. (we are prepared to wait elsewhere, but if we can get into the dome early that might be fun too)

Thanks all for your help ☺️

We've been taking Inspiration out on 3 day trips, and most recently with a group of people 2 weeks ago. They have 3 lines at the new entry doors to the terminal (closest to Queen Mary). On-Time Arrival (within your boarding window) Early/Late (either before or after) and Priority Passengers. The priority line goes in first, and anyone who is in the On-Time line. Once those lines are empty, they let people in from the Early/Late. As more people arrive into the lines, the are processed the same. 

In checking the text messages, my brother's flight was early, so he arrived at the terminal at 9:45 - Entry doors will still closed. They allowed the first batch into the terminal at approximately 10:30 am. The priority passengers started boarding at 11:15. 

Now, keep in mind that Panorama is a larger ship than Inspiration, so it technically will take a little longer to get the old passengers off. As an example, our 'arrival window' has been 12:00-12:30 (I do the check-in just after midnight to always grab as early as I can, and for Panorama the earliest window is 12:30-1:00. 

14 hours ago, new_cruiser_75 said:

I think the OP is asking what time will they be allowed to go and sit in the big domed terminal, not what time can they get on the ship.  I know that you used to have to wait outside the dome (in Long Beach) until your time/zone was called, but is it still that way?  Do you have to wait outside until your booked boarding time arrives?  Mine is 12:30 in a few weeks, but our plane lands at 7:30am so I'm curious too. (we are prepared to wait elsewhere, but if we can get into the dome early that might be fun too)

Thanks all for your help ☺️

Your 12:30 time is not your boarding time, it's the time you can walk into the dome and check-in, then you may or may not have to wait inside the dome before boarding.  They do have an early/late line if you miss your check-in window which can be short or very long.  If you have any type of priority, Platinum, FTTF, suite, etc, you can walk right into the dome when you arrive, but not necessarily board immediately.

I have FTTF for April cruise. Online, it says 12:00 PM check in. We plan on arriving at approx 11 AM.

The terminal opens at 10:30 AM on cruise days.  Access to the terminal is by status/check-in time (Priority, FTTF, etc).  Wedding parties are normally allowed into the terminal first before anyone else.

We had 12:30 check in time.   We left our hotel @ 10:35 am, the Residence Inn, just up the road from the terminal.   We walked to the terminal, checked our luggage, and went to the early check in line.   By 11:35 am we were walking up the ramps to board the ship. 

They keep on switching the time for opening doors between 10:00 and 10:30 on Saturdays. All other days the terminal opens at 10:30. I would venture to say it is 10:00 for Panorama because we need to get 5k people onboard with 5.5 hours. Not 100% sure as I am usually not working outside at that time.

Boarding starts with any weddings and site inspections (travel agents), then Diamond and Platinum passengers will board, and after them Faster to the Fun (not available on Panorama until March?) and finally the regular zones starting with A1. Usually this is around 11:15 AM if no issue (like 500 B2B's refusing to disembark the ship) delays the process.

With the first cruises on Panorama having loads of Diamonds and Platinums on, even the Priority passengers got a zone card such as "Priority C" or "Priority G".

Rideshare vehicles can pull up to the curb inside the parking structure (221 Windsor Way). This is right next to where you drop off your bags with the porters.

Appointment windows for checking in start 11:30 on Saturdays and 12:00 on all other days.

I personally would not want to spend too much time inside the terminal (unless you love arcade gaming machines) since there are no food facilities or even vending machines  inside. Also, the free wi-fi sucks and cell signal is really weak for any other carrier than AT&T. There is decent taco truck outside the parking structure if you can't wait for a lunch on the Lido.

If you do want to use an ATM, convenience fee at the LB terminal is $3 compared to $6 onboard.

12 hours ago, AgentMinusOne said:

I would venture to say it is 10:00 for Panorama

They try and clear the ship by 10, never board that early, not usually earlier than 11. 

I don't know how much a different ship larger than the rest that have homeported out of Long Beach will affect boarding, but in the many many times I have boarded a ship in Long Beach, boarding starts around 12:00.

There usually is an hour and half between when the ship is completely cleared of passengers and the new passengers are starting to board. With the dome now in FULL use you may be able to check-in early but held within the dome until boarding starts.

On the last cruise out of Long Beach (SPLENDOR), I walked into the dome around 11:30 and walked right on board so it could very well be somewhat earlier these days.