Cruise Critic Community
LMADAMS91

Specialty Dining Gratuity? Included or not?

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

so after I received my Tanqueray and tonic, I slip a Jefferson under the cocktail napkin. I consider that a tip. 

Are $2 bills common ? Not sure I have seen one.

37 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Not very common.  I think the last time I saw one in circulation, although they are legal currency in the US, was back in the 80's.  I'm sure they are still around and used ... I just haven't seen one in quite some time.  The bank may see them from time to time and there are probably some collectors that are saving them up, just waiting them to become more valuable....but, I just don't think it is commonplace to see them in circulation ... at least not in my experience.  

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

How about being recognized as you approach the bar, and having your drink ready for you when you get there?

But I don’t pre tip and still get that type of service.

Edited by GUT2407

9 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not very common.  I think the last time I saw one in circulation, although they are legal currency in the US, was back in the 80's.  I'm sure they are still around and used ... I just haven't seen one in quite some time.  The bank may see them from time to time and there are probably some collectors that are saving them up, just waiting them to become more valuable....but, I just don't think it is commonplace to see them in circulation ... at least not in my experience.  

I have tipped using dollar coins.  I usually need to let the person know it's not a quarter but a dollar.

Image result for us dollar coins

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

so after I received my Tanqueray and tonic, I slip a Jefferson under the cocktail napkin. I consider that a tip. 

Image for 2018-P Jefferson Nickel from Littleton Coin Company

???????????  :classic_mellow: 

19 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have been saving them for years. See Photo 
Tony

EFDF6DA6-0278-43D4-AAC4-18DBA4498079.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

I have been saving them for years. See Photo 
Tony

Me, too!!  I even have a few that are silver certificates ... one with the red lettering.  They won't be going out for tips.  

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

According to the U.S. Treasury, the $2 bill remains in circulation even today, but is only issued based on the demand from banks and generally is not printed “as often as the others.” Still, $2 bills have clearly been on the decline. The last year the $2 bill was printed was back in 2006

you can order $2 at your local branch. We usually order for tipping because it’s unique.  We do tip at the specialty dining for good service in cash.

14 hours ago, Rusty10 said:

you can order $2 at your local branch. We usually order for tipping because it’s unique.  We do tip at the specialty dining for good service in cash.

I like that ... bet some of the recipients think they are fake money ... what do you think?  

Same goes for the Susan B Anthony dollar coin ...either fake or not realizing it is worth more than a quarter. 

31 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

People who tip in $2 bills are just showing off.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..... 

36 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

People who tip in $2 bills are just showing off.

No the proper term is "Big Shots".

54 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I like to bring "where's George" bills. 🙂

What?????? No Lincolns?????? 😂

We are ones who remove the auto-gratuity and tip individually as we see appropriate.  So, yes, always in the specialty restaurants in the same fashion as we tip at home.