Shorts in the MDR for dinner

On 1/25/2020 at 8:19 AM, Iamcruzin said:

You will look better than the men who try to phone it in by  wearing a tweed sports coat 2 sizes to small with a polo shirt, dockers and boat shoes on a Caribbean cruise. If they lost the jacket they would look fine.

That's always my biggest argument. My casual wear is nice, fitted, and modern...and is often so much better than a lot of cruisers "formal" wear which is outdated and ill-fitting due to either a lack of awareness or lack of care. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

That's always my biggest argument. My casual wear is nice, fitted, and modern...and is often so much better than a lot of cruisers "formal" wear which is outdated and ill-fitting due to either a lack of awareness or lack of care. 

Sometime one persons  "fitted" is another persons ill-fitted.  😉 

Edited by Tulsacoker

On 1/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I’ve seen that shirt at least once on just about every cruise that I been on. The amusing  part is that the person wearing it thinks they are so original and unique.

On the amusing part some could  argue the  folks wearing the real formal wear  think they are so unique . 

17 minutes ago, libertybelle41 said:

Same for us here in Texas. 

And some In Texas wear shorts with their formal and casual western wear . Western jeans and boots  are common on ships out of Galveston . Country bands are most always on Galveston ships . The largest festival on the North American Continent and largest social event every year in Houston Texas is the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Two and half million attendance with millions raised for scholarships in education of Texas youth..

Edited by ssb

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I have 12 pair of shorts and 7 button up shirts with me for my 3 week trip( week on ship and 2 weeks in Florida) so yes I have what’s in the picture plus we’re only at day 5. But here’s a few from one packing cube.   
I have only 1 pair of pants with me.  And have eaten in the main dinning room every night.    
the pants(jeans) are for my flight home back to Cali at some point as it was 34 when I left a week ago and excepted to be in the 50’ when return.       

I only wear shorts on the first night in the MDR. Other than that I wear what my wife picks out for me for that evening. 😉 If she didn't I'd most likely be wearing shorts every evening. I just consider, if it's cool with the staff member standing at the entrance to the MDR what anyone wears in the MDR (or any other dining venue) that's all the matters. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 🍻

Edited by davekathy

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I have 12 pair of shorts and 7 button up shirts with me for my 3 week trip( week on ship and 2 weeks in Florida) so yes I have what’s in the picture plus we’re only at day 5. But here’s a few from one packing cube.   
I have only 1 pair of pants with me.  And have eaten in the main dinning room every night.    
the pants(jeans) are for my flight home back to Cali at some point as it was 34 when I left a week ago and excepted to be in the 50’ when return.       

9FC574B2-6757-422D-83D9-6860D3C17934.jpeg

7442B6D7-3568-4E3A-BCD5-43D36497F2A7.jpeg

Those are cargo shorts and nothing like the ones in the example photos you posted.  Looking forward to seeing the shorts in the other packing cubes once you unpack them.

Oasis of the Seas – Day 3 – December 29th Sailing – Dress Code:  Resort Casual Caribbean Attire.  Casual dress is the perfect way to enjoy this adventure.  Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, golf or Bermuda shorts, t-shirts, blouses or sundresses.  Caribbean flair, bright patterns and tropical prints are welcome!

On 1/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, Ptroxx said:

Again.  That’s your opinion.   Not what’s actually happening on these cruises.  
the dress code has changed a lot.    But thank you for your opinion.   

Has the dress code changed or is it not being enforced?

We have only cruised 7 times.  Six cruises were in Europe.  It was wonderful!  People actually dressed for dinner!  Which of course I love to do.  and the dress code was enforced!!

We cruised 5 years ago in the U.S.  I couldn't believe how people dressed in the MDR.  I was very disappointed that the dress code was not enforced....  We only eat in specialty restaurants and the MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Never in the Windjammer.  I do not want to see people in their bathing suits while I eat.

I was appalled that people were allowed in the MDR for breakfast half naked.... It really was disgusting.  

I have finally decided to try cruising again the States.  I am hoping that the time of year we are going will yield an older crowd with people that might actually have some etiquette 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Jeff&Mel said:

Has the dress code changed or is it not being enforced?

We have only cruised 7 times.  Six cruises were in Europe.  It was wonderful!  People actually dressed for dinner!  Which of course I love to do.  and the dress code was enforced!!

We cruised 5 years ago in the U.S.  I couldn't believe how people dressed in the MDR.  I was very disappointed that the dress code was not enforced....  We only eat in specialty restaurants and the MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Never in the Windjammer.  I do not want to see people in their bathing suits while I eat.

I was appalled that people were allowed in the MDR for breakfast half naked.... It really was disgusting.  

I have finally decided to try cruising again the States.  I am hoping that the time of year we are going will yield an older crowd with people that might actually have some etiquette 🙂 

Wow, that's so weird!  It's almost like there are cultural differences between Europe and the USA!

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Those are cargo shorts and nothing like the ones in the example photos you posted.  Looking forward to seeing the shorts in the other packing cubes once you unpack them.

That’s funny.  Not one of those shorts I posted are cargo shorts.  
You may want to look up what cargo shorts are.    
Mine are just like the shorts I posted.  A nice material just like pants. But shorts.  
Not one cargo pocket with buttons or Velcro.   
And our dining table is the first table when you walk into the dining room 4.,where everyone sees you.   
And I always have a nice conversation with the head waiter every night,and Yasser always say no problem you look great.  
a lot better than the guy in a tank top hat and swim trunks. 

5902458A-4325-4B7C-8982-AA83FDA175B7.png

• Like 1

I've worn shorts I've worn pants. To be honest at this point in my life I don't care what others think of me. Really, I have never cared. Me eating in shorts with my legs hidden under the table will not affect anyone's appetite. And, I've always had decent looking legs. Shorts are always to my knees and dressy type. I;m 57 and still working my tail off. My vacation is just that. MY vacation. Now if I were to stand by your table and do the Hippy Hippy Shake I could understand you being a tad upset. 
Trust me, I won't do that. Promise.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MericaAR15 said:

Wow, that's so weird!  It's almost like there are cultural differences between Europe and the USA!

8 minutes ago, Jeff&Mel said:

LOL!  You think?  

Might want to dive into the cultural difference in swim attire.... Some overweight Europeans seem to think speedos look good. 

Edited by Tulsacoker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Might want to dive into the cultural difference in swim attire.... Some overweight Europeans seem to think speedos look good. 

I could care less how someone looks in their bathing suit at the beach...  Bathing suits are meant to be worn at the beach.  I just think that people should wear what is appropriate for where they are.  

But for the OP, if shorts are now allowed in the MDR-so be it.  I just know for my family we will dress nice for dinner as we always have.  

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

No, thank you.  I much rather concern myself with what my party is wearing, while allowing others to enjoy the freedom of doing the same with their group.  Freedom is pretty cool; some people should try it.

1 minute ago, MericaAR15 said:

No, thank you.  I much rather concern myself with what my party is wearing, while allowing others to enjoy the freedom of doing the same with their group.  Freedom is pretty cool; some people should try it.

I'm just curious, does having a dress code equate to lack of Freedom?  🙂