Shorts in the MDR for dinner

On 1/17/2020 at 6:03 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

On our last few cruises, we have been with people who wear shorts or jeans every night.  We’ve never seen anyone turned away.  But, maybe bring a pair of Khakis “just in case”.

well I am diamond right now and the only time I was wearing a pair of khakis that I remmber it was for my forst cruise following my aunt's avice until I got there and saw the reality . Every since I wear jeans every single night and formal night but for my next cruise I am seriously  reconsidering if Im gonna bring the suit or not

On 1/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, island visitor said:

I would like to see Royal Caribbean do what Norwegian is doing with their dining rooms.  They have one that they suggest you dress nicer.  I don't remember how they identified it but there is another dining room that serves the exact same menu and it is for those who choose to dress down.  You can go to which ever one you choose as it is My Time Dining.  This to me is a great idea and for the most part everyone is happy.

why should  they do that its working for them as it is right now- people are doing whatever they want lol

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Oh and this is for tomorrow’s formal night.   I just asked my head waiter if this would be ok. And he said no problem.   

D4C43ECD-FE9D-48BA-A18C-49CB78BA308D.jpeg

If you wear knee socks and some some Buster Brown shoes you will be dressed like me on Easter Sunday 1965.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:47 PM, blueridgemama said:

I think it's sort of sad when the wait staff is groomed and dressed better than the diners. Just my opinion.

At our local diner the waitstaff men and women wear bow ties and vests in the morning for breakfast. All I think is, this is a diner what are they trying to prove. The omelet doesn’t taste any better and you look ridiculous dressed that way at 8:00am. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

At our local diner the waitstaff men and women wear bow ties and vests in the morning for breakfast. All I think is, this is a diner what are they trying to prove. The omelet doesn’t taste any better and you look ridiculous dressed that way at 8:00am. 

Ok. So we'll have the wait staff in the MDR wear cargo shorts, tee shirts and sandals with socks.

Why doesn't anyone board the ship in 3 piece suit or long dress anymore?  It's just for a few hours.  You can change later when I don't see you.  You are important background actors in fantasy land I personally believe if you can't dress appropriately to board the ship you don't have a leg to stand on demanding anyone dress for dinner.  Ditch your Las Vegas t-shirts and RCI caps and elastic waist $5 walmart shorts and New Balance joggers with knee high socks.  Fly and board ships like they did 50 years ago...

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, unrealHeather said:

It is discourage in writing (and it's printed on the daily schedule) but whether they will turn you away at the door of the MDR is up to the manager at the door.  We end up at Windjammer because of this.  Can he bring a pair of pants and change for dinner.  Linen pants can be as comfortable as shorts really if temperature is a problem.

Linen doesn't make pants comfortable if one does not wish to wear long pants.

3 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Ok. So we'll have the wait staff in the MDR wear cargo shorts, tee shirts and sandals with socks.

As long as I can get a drink refill  which didn't happen when they were dressed to the 9's that would be fine with me.

• Like 2

I’m shocked at all the compliments I got from my shirt tonight on formal night. Lol. 
the head waiter greeted  me at the entrance and said he loved it. As did a few other head guys at the entrance.   
I had a few gentleman come up to me and asked where I got it.   
the table next to me all loved it. While they were dressed in suites.    
I asked.  So your wife’s made you wear suits right.  They all said yes lol and if it was up to them they would be in shorts.   Lol. 
  Had a nice man in a wheelchair roll up and asked if it came in a 3x and where I got it.  I told him amazon.  He said he’s gonna have to have his daughter get one for him Lolol.  All in all I’d say it was a success.     

• Like 1

Just off the Harmony last week.  We did see some men in shorts at dinner, most in jeans or khakis.  My own sons (47 and 50) wore 'nice' shorts and jeans several nights.  They did wear long pants and button shirt/ties and jackets on dress up nights.  

I only saw a couple of tuxes; as usual, ladies tend to dress up more than the gents, but we saw everything from long formal gowns to just regular clothes on dress up nights.

I must be the only person who finds linen itchy; also wool and silk, which is also too hot.

• Like 1

I wish the cc administrators would lock or delete these shorts threads as soon as they are posted.  I know some people genuinely want to know, but they always descend into arguments and nastiness rather than suggestions and info.  Maybe the administrator could put a sticky at the top of the forum with the correct info and make it clear these threads aren't necessary or allowed, so everyone will stop arguing.  

Edited by Knighton
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2020 at 9:55 PM, mcatmcat said:

well I am diamond right now and the only time I was wearing a pair of khakis that I remmber it was for my forst cruise following my aunt's avice until I got there and saw the reality . Every since I wear jeans every single night and formal night but for my next cruise I am seriously  reconsidering if Im gonna bring the suit or not

Exact same here. I brought a suit only for our first ever cruise, and then khakis the next one, and jeans and shorts for every one after that. Our Alaskan cruise was eye opening when we told our waiters that we would be skipping formal nights because we didn't bring the proper attire. Well, they weren't having it and told us to come with whatever we had. We did and didn't feel out of place at all. Now the only pants I bring on our Caribbean cruises are the ones I wear to and from on the flight. 

18 minutes ago, Knighton said:

I wish the cc administrators would lock or delete these shorts threads as soon as they are posted.  I know some people genuinely want to know, but they always descend into arguments and nastiness rather than suggestions and info.  Maybe the administrator could put a sticky at the top of the forum with the correct info and make it clear these threads aren't necessary or allowed, so everyone will stop arguing.  

Forget the administrators. The cruise lines, all of them should just stop kidding themselves and print the real deal. At least some have given up formal night. I'm surprised that Celebrity beat Royal Caribbean to the punch.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Exact same here. I brought a suit only for our first ever cruise, and then khakis the next one, and jeans and shorts for every one after that. Our Alaskan cruise was eye opening when we told our waiters that we would be skipping formal nights because we didn't bring the proper attire. Well, they weren't having it and told us to come with whatever we had. We did and didn't feel out of place at all. Now the only pants I bring on our Caribbean cruises are the ones I wear to and from on the flight. 

Ding ding ding.     
lve worn shorts every night on my 7 day cruise.   Not once did I get a dirty look from anyone on the staff. Or the people around me.   
and I’m a very open people.  I go up to strangers table around me and just say HI.  

I know.  Weird right.   But I like to engage with people.  
when I’m in an elevator I always talk to the people in the elevator.   Ask how their day were what they did that day. And if their having fun.  Some may think I’m weird. But some love the interaction.  
on the first formal night. There was one table I walked to and said hello too that was a retired Marine in full dress uniforms. With more medals I’ve ever seen.  
he was a general I think.    That’s what someone told me anyway.   And his son was also in full dress uniform I think he was a Gunny sgt.     I seen them walk in and made a point to go over and shake their hands and thank them for their service.   I didn’t get any weird looks just a few funny jokes from the Dad who was clearly a Trump supporter as his joke had to do with trump and making America great again. And to vote Trump.    

it’s clear that the staff doesn’t care what you were in the MDR as long as your enjoying your self.      

this site is about discussion.  Sure some may get a little upset.  Calling people names.   But if you have thick skin and can take it as well as giving it. Everything should be A perfect day In Cococay.    Lolol

speaking of which.   We’re off to Cococay.   Storms are on the way so I’m headed out early to walk around and check out the new construction and see what’s one.   

everyone have a great day at Cococay. Lolol.   Stay tuned.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Forget the administrators. The cruise lines, all of them should just stop kidding themselves and print the real deal. At least some have given up formal night. I'm surprised that Celebrity beat Royal Caribbean to the punch.

So true.   The dress code they print sure isn’t what people are wearing in the MDR.   When I walked in last night at formal night and all the staff complemented me on my tux T-shirt i thought that was a clear sign of the times are a changing.     

and to the other post.   I only had jeans with me to travel as it was cold at 3 am when I was headed to the airport (32deg).   

2DD6DF46-03D8-424B-915D-8B9661EC1018.jpeg

2 hours ago, Knighton said:

Disagree. You don't have to read an ongoing thread or post to it. I pick and choose threads based on titles that I want to read and post to. 

Only from the fashion police. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually didn't read, just went to the last page to confirm my suspicions and I was right.  this has turned into a nasty argumentative thread just like all the other "shorts in the dining room threads".  Get a life people.  There are so many who don't have the money to feed their kids even working 2 or 3 jobs, let alone go on a cruise.  Consider yourself fortunate and stop griping and whining about the little stuff.  Why spend thousands of dollars on something that you let raise your blood pressure just in the planning stages?  If you spend your cruise planning time(weeks) getting angry about what other people will or will not be doing for the few days of the cruise, you've wasted your money and time anyway.   Sheesh! 

And before you ask why I'm here again, it's because I forgot to undo the follow button and got the email.

Edited by Knighton
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Knighton said:

I actually didn't read, just went to the last page to confirm my suspicions and I was right.  this has turned into a nasty argumentative thread just like all the other "shorts in the dining room threads".  Get a life people.  There are so many who don't have the money to feed their kids even working 2 or 3 jobs, let alone go on a cruise.  Consider yourself fortunate and stop griping and whining about the little stuff.  Why spend thousands of dollars on something that you let raise your blood pressure just in the planning stages?  If you spend your cruise planning time(weeks) getting angry about what other people will or will not be doing for the few days of the cruise, you've wasted your money and time anyway.   Sheesh! 

And before you ask why I'm here again, it's because I forgot to undo the follow button and got the email.

It appears that you are more upset about a thread that you didn’t even read than anyone who participated in the discussion. I think you need to follow your own advise. 
Bon Voyage ⛴ 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

why do you wear pants on the flight?