Shorts in the MDR for dinner

1 hour ago, Knighton said:

I actually didn't read, just went to the last page to confirm my suspicions and I was right.  this has turned into a nasty argumentative thread just like all the other "shorts in the dining room threads".  Get a life people.  There are so many who don't have the money to feed their kids even working 2 or 3 jobs, let alone go on a cruise.  Consider yourself fortunate and stop griping and whining about the little stuff.  Why spend thousands of dollars on something that you let raise your blood pressure just in the planning stages?  If you spend your cruise planning time(weeks) getting angry about what other people will or will not be doing for the few days of the cruise, you've wasted your money and time anyway.   Sheesh! 

And before you ask why I'm here again, it's because I forgot to undo the follow button and got the email.

This is one of the funniest post yet.  Lolol. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Knighton said:

I actually didn't read, just went to the last page to confirm my suspicions and I was right.  this has turned into a nasty argumentative thread just like all the other "shorts in the dining room threads".  Get a life people.  There are so many who don't have the money to feed their kids even working 2 or 3 jobs, let alone go on a cruise.  Consider yourself fortunate and stop griping and whining about the little stuff.  Why spend thousands of dollars on something that you let raise your blood pressure just in the planning stages?  If you spend your cruise planning time(weeks) getting angry about what other people will or will not be doing for the few days of the cruise, you've wasted your money and time anyway.   Sheesh! 

And before you ask why I'm here again, it's because I forgot to undo the follow button and got the email.

Doesn't mean you have to reply to the thread and especially a long detailed post. Come on you love it. BTW thanks for the laugh of the day. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

You really have to have thick skin in the forum.   
I’ve been called all kinds of things.  But I’m still here.    lol.    
I dont really care what others think of what I wear.  Or how I tip.  
As long as I’m enjoying myself and I’m not offending anyone. 
I actually made many new friends on the ship just because I interact with them.  
many people enjoyed my formal attire.  Event all the staff.    
This is my 12th cruise and I’ve always just been myself.   
I travel solo a lot and just enjoy interacting with people.   
I usually always find a group of ladies to dine with on every trip. 
This trip I focused on the elevator rides.   I talked to everyone in the elevators,asking how their day was.   If the kids were having fun.  What they did on shore.  Anything to engage with a stranger.   
I had some of my elevator groups laughing so hard by the time I got off the elevator   
my dad always told me. You’ll never meet anyone if you don’t talk to them.   

this was one of my better cruises in the 12 I’ve been on.   
And  all wearing shorts in the MDR.      

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Is it just me or is this one of the stranger dress code threads?

Between this, the coronavirus thread, and the PR case thread, I have felt like I fell down the rabbit hole this week. Then again, it is SB week and I'm from KC which hasn't been there for 50 years, so it is all probably just a weird dream anyway.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Between this, the coronavirus thread, and the PR case thread, I have felt like I fell down the rabbit hole this week. Then again, it is SB week and I'm from KC which hasn't been there for 50 years, so it is all probably just a weird dream anyway.

Seems like this thread is proof that the attire in The MDR has changed for the better. 
making more of a choice and not a rule what you wear in the MDR.  
if you wanna dress up for pictures cause your wife/gf makes you then so be it.   That’s great. Have at it. 
but you don’t have to guys.    Shorts are more than welcome in the MDR for any night on the Harmony.   

from the head waiter himself.  Your on vacation dress how you feel comfortable.  

For my week on the HOS I never felt outta place not once.  
So enjoy yourself guys.  nice shorts and button ups are ok.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Is it just me or is this one of the stranger dress code threads?

It is. Usually the members read the thread or at least don't admit to not reading it before go off like a rocket.  Apparently now they just blow up 12 pages in after looking for an excuse to do so.  Kind of late to the party don't you think. The pictures included this time were  well worth over a 1000 words. The only snarky post was from that one person. The rest of the thread was just the usual banter. Then again at nearly 60 years old I'm a far cry from being a snowflake so maybe I'm just to insensitive for modern times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

This trip I focused on the elevator rides.   I talked to everyone in the elevators,asking how their day was.   If the kids were having fun.  What they did on shore.  Anything to engage with a stranger.   
I had some of my elevator groups laughing so hard by the time I got off the elevator   

Reminds me of the time I stepped into one on formal night (back when everyone wore Tux etc) and I'd decided to wear a silk waistcoat made from a Union Flag. As I stepped into the elevator a lady mentioned how smart I looked and I replied " It's all about making an entrance Ma'am!" - at this point the very busy elevator bleeped as it was now 'overloaded' (must have been a long n busy 'foody' cruise ha ha) - I could only then reply to the incessant bleeping - " and also knowing when it's best to leave - enjoy your evening everyone and I'll catch the next one! "

Therefore I know what you mean about the 'social life' of the elevators on ship ha ha

Edited by ZiggaZagga17

14 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I dont really care what others think of what I wear.

We don't either or care what others wear.

Quick story...March 2017, JOS, third night, second leg of our B2B cruise. We decided to dress formally on a suggested casual dress evening. Celebrating a special occasion. As we were entering the MDR for MTD reservation I heard a loud mouth lady (I use the term lady loosely) say "I guess they didn't read that paper thing in our cabin telling us what we have to wear tonight". I spun around look down at both her and her husband (or whomever he was) and said,"no I didn't read the Cruise Compass in your cabin. What did it say".  They both just stood there like slugs.  I then gave both of them a big smile while shaking my head, turned around and continued on. After my wife and I were seated, ordered our wine, made a toast to each other and then we both had a good laugh and enjoyed our meal. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

@davekathy I can understand people feeling like formally dressed people should not judge people dressing more casually, and many of us agree even as we miss seeing people all decked out.

But I am surprised at the number of people who think that people who DO dress formally are doing something wrong.

Incidentally, @Ptroxx, some of us men like to dress up and don't do it just because our wives make us. Sometimes there is a bonus in it, though!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@davekathy I can understand people feeling like formally dressed people should not judge people dressing more casually, and many of us agree even as we miss seeing people all decked out.

But I am surprised at the number of people who think that people who DO dress formally are doing something wrong.

Incidentally, @Ptroxx, some of us men like to dress up and don't do it just because our wives make us. Sometimes there is a bonus in it, though!

As long as your happy with what your wearing that’s all that counts    
Happy wife happy life.    So they say. Lol 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Many are overly concerned about 'fitting in'.  One of the purposes of a dress code is too assure people that if they dress according to the dress code, they will not be over or under dressed.  IOW, they will fit in.  This is very important to some.  

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Many are overly concerned about 'fitting in'.  One of the purposes of a dress code is too assure people that if they dress according to the dress code, they will not be over or under dressed.  IOW, they will fit in.  This is very important to some.  

That’s exactly how I feel. This is also why cruise lines have come up with these ambiguous names to replace formal night like Evening Chic or Dress your best. It’s open to interpretation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Well, it starts with a smile...

And probably ends with one.

lol

Personally, I think people should dress the way they want to dress. If the cruise line has a problem with it, it’s up to them to enforce strict dress codes.

I never understood why what someone is wearing impacts another person’s enjoyment. It must be exhausting for some people to spend their cruises always judging other people and worrying about what other people are wearing. When I am cruising,  I’m too busy having fun. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

And probably ends with one.

lol

Personally, I think people should dress the way they want to dress. If the cruise line has a problem with it, it’s up to them to enforce strict dress codes.

I never understood why what someone is wearing impacts another person’s enjoyment. It must be exhausting for some people to spend their cruises always judging other people and worrying about what other people are wearing. When I am cruising,  I’m too busy having fun. 

I've never understood why some think their enjoyment entitles them to dictate how others dress.

Quite frankly, passengers are not on board to entertain others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got back on Sunday from our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas.  I am the one that started this topic of men wearing shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights.  Just wanted to give an update of the topic.....My husband wore shorts in the MDR 4 nights out of the 7 as several did also.  He felt very comfortable doing so and no one said anything nor did I see any raised eyebrows.  As a matter of fact, in the Cruise Compass, on three nights the suggested dress code  stated as follows:  Casual dress is the perfect way to enjoy this adventure.  Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, golf or Bermuda shorts, t-shirts, blouses or sundresses Caribbean flair, bright patterns and tropical prints are welcome.

Also, want to add that we loved this ship.  The employees are great and they helped to insure that our cruise was the most enjoyable one in the 20+ that we have been on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, island visitor said:

Got back on Sunday from our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas.  I am the one that started this topic of men wearing shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights.  Just wanted to give an update of the topic.....My husband wore shorts in the MDR 4 nights out of the 7 as several did also.  He felt very comfortable doing so and no one said anything nor did I see any raised eyebrows.  As a matter of fact, in the Cruise Compass, on three nights the suggested dress code  stated as follows:  Casual dress is the perfect way to enjoy this adventure.  Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, golf or Bermuda shorts, t-shirts, blouses or sundresses Caribbean flair, bright patterns and tropical prints are welcome.

Also, want to add that we loved this ship.  The employees are great and they helped to insure that our cruise was the most enjoyable one in the 20+ that we have been on.

Thank you for coming back and posting your experience. In the future, please come back and post your recent experience on any future shorts in MDR for dinner thread. We need your  observations and experience to be heard. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 6:10 PM, davekathy said:

We don't either or care what others wear.

Quick story...March 2017, JOS, third night, second leg of our B2B cruise. We decided to dress formally on a suggested casual dress evening. Celebrating a special occasion. As we were entering the MDR for MTD reservation I heard a loud mouth lady (I use the term lady loosely) say "I guess they didn't read that paper thing in our cabin telling us what we have to wear tonight". I spun around look down at both her and her husband (or whomever he was) and said,"no I didn't read the Cruise Compass in your cabin. What did it say".  They both just stood there like slugs.  I then gave both of them a big smile while shaking my head, turned around and continued on. After my wife and I were seated, ordered our wine, made a toast to each other and then we both had a good laugh and enjoyed our meal. 

I just wear what Pauline puts out for me to wear lol.

• Like 3