Shorts in the MDR for dinner

53 minutes ago, island visitor said:

Got back on Sunday from our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas.  I am the one that started this topic of men wearing shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights.  Just wanted to give an update of the topic.....My husband wore shorts in the MDR 4 nights out of the 7 as several did also.  He felt very comfortable doing so and no one said anything nor did I see any raised eyebrows.  As a matter of fact, in the Cruise Compass, on three nights the suggested dress code  stated as follows:  Casual dress is the perfect way to enjoy this adventure.  Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, golf or Bermuda shorts, t-shirts, blouses or sundresses Caribbean flair, bright patterns and tropical prints are welcome.

Also, want to add that we loved this ship.  The employees are great and they helped to insure that our cruise was the most enjoyable one in the 20+ that we have been on.

I only had one night that said it’s ok to wear shorts on a 7 day.  
here’s the actual CC from my cruise.  Just more FYI. 

14AA2A2D-FC8C-4975-A003-6BE011DEBE07.jpeg

322A815C-4D28-48DE-B777-56C07CE8FCD4.jpeg

95A22366-DDAB-4237-B1A6-C8736746E6A5.jpeg

8EB8F39F-D40A-4027-8DF9-C64C82269E49.jpeg

C9384B18-4880-4976-828B-D48FD4BD11D2.jpeg

D6AD16EA-F863-4A97-A72D-AF0D8FC8ADA2.jpeg

A9CC45FC-85DC-476F-B9EC-06C8B9C1D454.jpeg

When I look at Daily Cruise Compasses from different ships it says "Dress Code" but not "Dress Suggestion" like many posters claim here for most ships. Most compasses also clearly say "Shorts are welcome for Breakfast and Lunch". Even if not enforced by waiters to avoid unpleaseant arguments with guests this still is a pretty clear policy advising no shorts for dinner in the MDR.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

When I look at Daily Cruise Compasses from different ships it says "Dress Code" but not "Dress Suggestion" like many posters claim here for most ships. Most compasses also clearly say "Shorts are welcome for Breakfast and Lunch". Even if not enforced by waiters to avoid unpleaseant arguments with guests this still is a pretty clear policy advising no shorts for dinner in the MDR.

Check out the ones for last weeks Oasis sailing.  I am not sure how to include a picture with my post or I would take a picture of it.  It does not say anything about breakfast or lunch.  The only other point that is mentioned is to remember to keep swimwear for the pool deck only.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, island visitor said:

Check out the ones for last weeks Oasis sailing.  I am not sure how to include a picture with my post or I would take a picture of it.  It does not say anything about breakfast or lunch.  The only other point that is mentioned is to remember to keep swimwear for the pool deck only.  

On the Royal Caribbean blog you can check several latest Cruise Compasses from different ships. For Oasis on relaxed days they do not mention shorts at all. Whenever shorts are mentioned it comes together with "for breakfast and lunch".

3 hours ago, island visitor said:

Got back on Sunday from our cruise on the Oasis of the Seas.  I am the one that started this topic of men wearing shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights.  Just wanted to give an update of the topic.....My husband wore shorts in the MDR 4 nights out of the 7 as several did also.  He felt very comfortable doing so and no one said anything nor did I see any raised eyebrows.  As a matter of fact, in the Cruise Compass, on three nights the suggested dress code  stated as follows:  Casual dress is the perfect way to enjoy this adventure.  Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, golf or Bermuda shorts, t-shirts, blouses or sundresses Caribbean flair, bright patterns and tropical prints are welcome.

Also, want to add that we loved this ship.  The employees are great and they helped to insure that our cruise was the most enjoyable one in the 20+ that we have been on.

Here we are still babbling on and your back from your cruise.  Glad you enjoyed it. Welcome back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does it really matter what the Cruise Compass says?  Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, all I know is people are wearing what they want when they want and being allowed to do so. That's the bottom line and the reality. Years ago when they only offered traditional dining and you shared a table there was a lot more control. Now most are eating with private parties, as couples or solo. You can't control how 6000 people will show up for dinner at any given time. It's time to throw in the towel and not worry about how others are dressed. Just worry about yourself. It's a 24/7 job.

• Like 5

We were also on the Oasis cruise mentioned above and I believe every night but the 2 formals had shorts in the dress code description for all meals.   I wore shorts a couple of times and jeans as well.   I wore a tux on the first formal and nice jeans and button up shirt for the second.  The first formal night I saw more suits and tux's than in the past and the second formal very few.  I think they should drop the second formal and just have one.

Edited by chaswelf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaswelf said:

We were also on the Oasis cruise mentioned above and I believe every night but the 2 formals had shorts in the dress code description for all meals.   I wore shorts a couple of times and jeans as well.   I wore a tux on the first formal and nice jeans and button up shirt for the second.  The first formal night I saw more suits and tux's than in the past and the second formal very few.  I think they should drop the second formal and just have one.

I also wish they would drop the second formal.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Does it really matter what the Cruise Compass says? 

I have experience with this question.  Some time ago, the Compass said "Smart Casual".  I called Guest Services and asked what does that mean.  I was told "Collared shirt, no jeans, jacket would be appropriate but not required."  So I dressed as instructed.  When I get to the dining room I see shorts, basketball jerseys, and jeans (jeans as far as the eye could see).  I asked the head waiter, "What gives".  He said "Oh just wear whatever you want, its okay."  So I asked the Maitre d who informed me "The dress code is just a suggestion.  You're on vacation and can come in anything you would like.

So no it does not matter what the Compass says.  I also agree, it's time to wave the white flag.  I'm not defending Royal policies, when they don't care.

• Like 3

Our first few cruises we saw women in long gowns, now i see people wearing pretty much what they wear on non formal nights in our last 3 cruises. Majority of men in pans and a shirt and women in slacks or dress. I don't worry about how people are dressed as long as they look nice, so possibly the formal night as we knew it will fade away.

2 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Our first few cruises we saw women in long gowns, now i see people wearing pretty much what they wear on non formal nights in our last 3 cruises. Majority of men in pans and a shirt and women in slacks or dress. I don't worry about how people are dressed as long as they look nice, so possibly the formal night as we knew it will fade away.

In 15+ years of cruising I've met some fantastic friends who in some cases I still now and cruise with to this day, yet I remember where they come from, their careers, their families but for the love of me I can't remember what they were wearing!

52 minutes ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

In 15+ years of cruising I've met some fantastic friends who in some cases I still now and cruise with to this day, yet I remember where they come from, their careers, their families but for the love of me I can't remember what they were wearing!

I can recall one cruise on a formal night, and family came in wearing shorts. They looked very nice however they were stopped at the door for a few minutes but then let in. i saw a few people in our area notice them perhaps some comments were made but everyone went about chatting with their table and eating. Myself had I  been the couple & our first cruise, I would have gone back to my room and changed as I would have been uncomfortable being in shorts while everyone else was dressed up. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Domino D said:

I have experience with this question.  Some time ago, the Compass said "Smart Casual".  I called Guest Services and asked what does that mean.  I was told "Collared shirt, no jeans, jacket would be appropriate but not required."  So I dressed as instructed.  When I get to the dining room I see shorts, basketball jerseys, and jeans (jeans as far as the eye could see).  I asked the head waiter, "What gives".  He said "Oh just wear whatever you want, its okay."  So I asked the Maitre d who informed me "The dress code is just a suggestion.  You're on vacation and can come in anything you would like.

So no it does not matter what the Compass says.  I also agree, it's time to wave the white flag.  I'm not defending Royal policies, when they don't care.

Yes, years ago was 2 Formal nites which was Suits/Tuxes. 2 Semi Formal pants/Sport Coat or shirt/tie. 3 Smart Casual was pants/Khakis and button up collared shirts. No jeans, shorts, baseball caps any nites. Over the yrs Smart Casual became Casual on all but Formal Nites and no semi-formal at all. Last time saw passengers turned away Main Dining wearing shirts/tank tops was over 2yrs ago and was on a Formal Nite. 4 yrs since saw sign said no shorts on Formal nite

Edited by ONECRUISER

We had a very nice British couple on our most recent cruise to the ABC Islands with us at the 2nd seating.  She was always dressed very nicely each night.  He wore a tux on formal nights and shorts all the other nights.  Nothing was said.  I guess I assumed only a millennial would wear shorts in the evening in the MDR.  🍷

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

We had a very nice British couple on our most recent cruise to the ABC Islands with us at the 2nd seating.  She was always dressed very nicely each night.  He wore a tux on formal nights and shorts all the other nights.  Nothing was said.  I guess I assumed only a millennial would wear shorts in the evening in the MDR.  🍷

I wonder how people who are shocked and appalled at millennial dress codes are going to react once gen z grows up...

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

I wonder how people who are shocked and appalled at millennial dress codes are going to react once gen z grows up...

I'm still trying to get over California Casual -- jock straps and shower shoes.  😉🍷