Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
island visitor

Shorts in the MDR for dinner

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

Personally I would never wear shorts when having dinner in a restaurant - hence I would never wear shorts for dinner in MRD.

Shorts will for me be acceptable in Windjammer.

-  might be because I'm from Denmark🤵.

 

And some people have more class than others.👍  I have never understood why it kills people to put on a pair of pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Yes folks from Florida where shorts all the time for dinner in a restaurant.

Not everyone in Florida!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

And some people have more class than others.👍  I have never understood why it kills people to put on a pair of pants.

I have plenty of class.    
I’m on vacation.  And I don’t wear pants.  And It’s my prerogative.     
I can out dress most anyone in a suit any day, this is a new day and age.   
 

Ive actually gone to dinner in my sheet off my bed.  
it was Roman night.  They tried to not let all 20 of us in.  But we’re dressed as romans on Roman night.  All got in. No problems.   Lol 

 

FC79809A-59E0-40D7-84A8-69E89BDEEDEA.jpeg

D2652797-9FEE-43B1-B4C9-3F26DF5F4CB1.jpeg

9E5B995A-52E6-424C-8666-7E8EB6240A36.jpeg

251C160F-8BC4-4B77-852B-653745802026.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Not everyone in Florida!

And how long have you been retired ?   
 

maybe when I retire I’ll start wearing pants again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is discourage in writing (and it's printed on the daily schedule) but whether they will turn you away at the door of the MDR is up to the manager at the door.  We end up at Windjammer because of this.  Can he bring a pair of pants and change for dinner.  Linen pants can be as comfortable as shorts really if temperature is a problem.

How did your cruise end? Did your neighbors show up and if not were you able to change your kids cabin?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This shouldn't be about whether you can or should.  It's about Respect.  Respect to yourself, to your spouse/partner, & to your fellow tablemates.  

You're entering a nice beautiful dinning room with upscale china, silverware, glassware, cloth tablecloths,and staff in vests & tie.

We also dress all of our boys in long pants ever since they can walk & still do 20+ cruises & 25 yrs later.  

One pair of nice long pants doesn't take up that much more luggage space than shorts.

We do not care whether what others are wearing, we can't control what they wear, but just for us, it's all about showing respect to rest of our traveling family...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

This shouldn't be about whether you can or should.  It's about Respect.  Respect to yourself, to your spouse/partner, & to your fellow tablemates.  

You're entering a nice beautiful dinning room with upscale china, silverware, glassware, cloth tablecloths,and staff in vests & tie.

We also dress all of our boys in long pants ever since they can walk & still do 20+ cruises & 25 yrs later.  

One pair of nice long pants doesn't take up that much more luggage space than shorts.

We do not care whether what others are wearing, we can't control what they wear, but just for us, it's all about showing respect to rest of our traveling family...

What Someone wears has nothing to do about respect.  
If you didn’t care what people were wearing you wouldn’t have posted this comment.       

 

i was raised a catholic going to catholic school my entire life.   
wearing pants shirt tie and blazer every day for 12 yrs.    

i learnt respect from my parents and my schooling. 
what I wear has nothing to do about respect.   
If you enjoy getting dressed up that’s fine.   But saying is disrespectful because of what someone is wearing isn’t vert respectful. 
 

 

Edited by Ptroxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you can wear shorts in the main dining room

 

It is with great sadness that i say this

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year I see more people wearing shorts 

 

I don’t do it bc my girlfriend is always in a nice dress at night that I rather wear jeans than a short and she loves taking pictures so we try to mix and match. I also live in south Florida and only 5% of the Time I wear shorts at a restaurant. Now, I still debating on what to do in formal night people are getting away with no suit and and a tie so I might wear long shirt and dress pants next time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hallasm said:

I tried to say - I do not find shorts appropriate for dinner - do not wearing shorts myself for dinner - and I would prefer 'no shorts' in MRD.  However realize that dress attire for dinners has been eased.At my last cruise the dress code for most of the days was 'Laid Back Lounging' which I translate to: jeans, polos, blouses or sundresses are listed as appropriate dress for dinner in the MRD. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch. Agree that shorts might be appropriate for Casual.

Not everyone in Florida wears shorts to dinner.  Some of us still wear long pants when going out. I never wear shorts in the MDR.  I change before my evening activities begin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

define 'nice shorts'

 

and thats the crux of the  matter.   basketball/athletic shorts have no place in a formal dining venue no matter who you are, or where you are.   

 

Golf shorts, tailored shorts that are buttoned/zipped  and belted and the like are becoming  the norm.  Bermuda turns it into an art form with nice dress socks and shoes plus a tie/jacket.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, renza said:

Everybody is moving to Florida. Over 1,000 people a day. We have no more room. 

We  lived in Fla after we retired for five years, went back to the Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I knew from the past times that we have cruised on RCI that everyone had a lot of opinions on this subject.  I definitely am aware that most do wear long pants for dinner and that is the normal attire for my husband also,  but just wondered that if maybe one night  he  wanted to wear a nice pair of dress shorts if he would feel out of place.  I can assure you that he would look very presentable and respectable plus handsome.   

Thanks again for your views on this.  These boards are a great place to get information.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

And how long have you been retired ?   
 

maybe when I retire I’ll start wearing pants again.  

I haven't worked in the past 8 years. Being retired and not wearing pants has nothing to do with each other, it's just a lame excuse.

 

Renee

Edited by ReneeFLL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

And some people have more class than others.👍  I have never understood why it kills people to put on a pair of pants.

 

And I have never understood why my wearing a very nice, fitted pair or nice shorts has any impact on your enjoyment of a meal compared to the many people who are wearing long but ill-fitted and low quality pants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

What Someone wears has nothing to do about respect.  
If you didn’t care what people were wearing you wouldn’t have posted this comment.       

 

i was raised a catholic going to catholic school my entire life.   
wearing pants shirt tie and blazer every day for 12 yrs.    

i learnt respect from my parents and my schooling. 
what I wear has nothing to do about respect.   
If you enjoy getting dressed up that’s fine.   But saying is disrespectful because of what someone is wearing isn’t vert respectful. 
 

 

I'm sorry, I didn't follow your answer.  I went to Catholic School also, and I learned that the way you dress is a way to show different levels of respect.  Following a dress suggestion is being respectful.  If you were to show up, and I'm saying this to be extreme, wearing a pair of pants, dropped way down, and displaying some "nice" underwear, that would be respectful?  What a person dresses like, when they go someplace, and in particular if a dress suggestion is spelled out is definitely about respect.  Do you respect the attire for the evening or will you do what you want?  Everyplace you go, a certain level of respect is requested for how you dress, including airlines, "Carnival who recently revised their dress code", various places of worship, different countries, etc.  So dress and how you present yourself is really about how you respect things.    Yes, RCCL relaxed things a bit, but many people, like most will dress per what is requested as a matter of respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I haven't worked in the past 8 years. Being retired and not wearing pants has nothing to do with each other, it's just a lame excuse.

 

Renee

No one needs to give an excuse. If the cruise line allows it that is all that matters since they are the one that makes the rules.

 

I have lived in Florida almost my entire life, I wear shorts all the time to restaurants and even wear flip flop type shoes. So does everyone I know.

 

And it has nothing to do with class. Someone can be casually dressed and look nicer than someone dressed up. And really ship's dining rooms are basically casual dining restaurants with buffet style food. I don't consider them any fancier than an Olive Garden or Chili's. Having linens and waiters dressed up doesn't make them fancy. In fact there is a high end restaurant in NYC with insane per person prices that allows jeans. The chef actually did an interview that he doesn't care what people wear, it's the food that makes it high end.

 

Cruises aren't the same as they were many years ago. They can be very inexpensive and have become more family oriented. If someone wants a stricter environment then they need to sail on the higher end lines. Don't cruise a mass market line that caters to families if you don't like the casual environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see Royal Caribbean do what Norwegian is doing with their dining rooms.  They have one that they suggest you dress nicer.  I don't remember how they identified it but there is another dining room that serves the exact same menu and it is for those who choose to dress down.  You can go to which ever one you choose as it is My Time Dining.  This to me is a great idea and for the most part everyone is happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm sorry, I didn't follow your answer.  I went to Catholic School also, and I learned that the way you dress is a way to show different levels of respect.  Following a dress suggestion is being respectful.  If you were to show up, and I'm saying this to be extreme, wearing a pair of pants, dropped way down, and displaying some "nice" underwear, that would be respectful?  What a person dresses like, when they go someplace, and in particular if a dress suggestion is spelled out is definitely about respect.  Do you respect the attire for the evening or will you do what you want?  Everyplace you go, a certain level of respect is requested for how you dress, including airlines, "Carnival who recently revised their dress code", various places of worship, different countries, etc.  So dress and how you present yourself is really about how you respect things.    Yes, RCCL relaxed things a bit, but many people, like most will dress per what is requested as a matter of respect. 

I don’t follow your answer.   There’s no dress suggestion that is spelled out.  
and your to be extreme suggestion.  Wearing pants down to you knees is in no way being respectful.  
respect isn’t in the clothes you wear. Its how you present yourself when you wearing what ever your wear.   
 

my point about being someone who’s retired is just that.   Your a lot older. And lived in a different world a different day and age.   
 

in today’s world.  Shorts are acceptable in most nice restaurants all over the world.  
And that’s all the MDR’s is. A nice chili’s or Olive Garden like another poster mentioned. 
 

so until a dress code is actually spelled out.
I’ll keep wearing my very nice shorts and button up shirts 

but I’ll have more respect in my little finger than someone who puts a label on someone’s attire.   
 

if you enjoy getting dress up.  By all means. Go for it.  
I’ll gladly take the time to stop and take a picture for you and your spouse.  
So you have the great memories.    

Don’t worry about what others wear.  
It has no effect on your enjoyment of the cruise.  
If it does.  Then you have another problem.    Just saying 

#nopantsworn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, island visitor said:

I would like to see Royal Caribbean do what Norwegian is doing with their dining rooms.  They have one that they suggest you dress nicer.  I don't remember how they identified it but there is another dining room that serves the exact same menu and it is for those who choose to dress down.  You can go to which ever one you choose as it is My Time Dining.  This to me is a great idea and for the most part everyone is happy.

Sorry but I was just on NCL and they have the same casual dress code. 
 

What clothes should I pack?

 

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hallasm said:

I tried to say - I do not find shorts appropriate for dinner - do not wearing shorts myself for dinner - and I would prefer 'no shorts' in MRD.  However realize that dress attire for dinners has been eased.At my last cruise the dress code for most of the days was 'Laid Back Lounging' which I translate to: jeans, polos, blouses or sundresses are listed as appropriate dress for dinner in the MRD. Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch. Agree that shorts might be appropriate for Casual.

 

What is the MRD please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Sorry but I was just on NCL and they have the same casual dress code. 
 

What clothes should I pack?

 

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Actually on Norwegian it can differ from ship to ship. We were recently on Escape and long pants were required for men after 6pm in Bayamo and Le Bistro as per the daily newsletter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, peteukmcr said:

Actually on Norwegian it can differ from ship to ship. We were recently on Escape and long pants were required for men after 6pm in Bayamo and Le Bistro as per the daily newsletter.

Those are specialty restaurants.    Not MDR.    
you pay a premium to eat there and most do have a code.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I don’t follow your answer.   There’s no dress suggestion that is spelled out.  
and your to be extreme suggestion.  Wearing pants down to you knees is in no way being respectful.  
respect isn’t in the clothes you wear. Its how you present yourself when you wearing what ever your wear.   
 

my point about being someone who’s retired is just that.   Your a lot older. And lived in a different world a different day and age.   
 

in today’s world.  Shorts are acceptable in most nice restaurants all over the world.  
And that’s all the MDR’s is. A nice chili’s or Olive Garden like another poster mentioned. 
 

so until a dress code is actually spelled out.
I’ll keep wearing my very nice shorts and button up shirts 

but I’ll have more respect in my little finger than someone who puts a label on someone’s attire.   
 

if you enjoy getting dress up.  By all means. Go for it.  
I’ll gladly take the time to stop and take a picture for you and your spouse.  
So you have the great memories.    

Don’t worry about what others wear.  
It has no effect on your enjoyment of the cruise.  
If it does.  Then you have another problem.    Just saying 

#nopantsworn

 

Funny how you go on and on about what is worn on Royal Caribbean ships, yet you haven't even sailed on one yet.  Look at the website, it is spelled out for all to see.

 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...