Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
island visitor

Shorts in the MDR for dinner

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

scandalous! This post needs to be marked NSFW.  there are KNEES showing. *clutch pearls*

 

image.jpeg.55d22c633b27a0bb4e2f32832c9a9c7e.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

scandalous! This post needs to be marked NSFW.  there are KNEES showing. *clutch pearls*

More leg from a 63 year old.

I always wear trousers in MDR though for dinner.

 

IMG_20190826_120140.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our last few cruises, we have been with people who wear shorts or jeans every night.  We’ve never seen anyone turned away.  But, maybe bring a pair of Khakis “just in case”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its vacation.

 

Let people wear that 

MUST

comply with RCL rules as enforced by that ship/sailing.

 

PREFERABLY

Not offend vast majority of the people.

 

Fair enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the restaurant. In a Pancake House, no problem. Capital Grille, problem. M Dining room falls between those. I err on the direction of making those around me comfortable, hence no shorts in the MDR.

Sent from my LM-V409N using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that gets frustrating with this topic is the cruise line's inconsistency.  Princess is just as bad.  If they want to relax the dress code, fine, then put it out there and be done with it.  People can always dress up more if they wish.  BUT if theyre going to have a dress code, own it and stick with it.  Personally, I think its goofy having what is, in essence, more of a formal type MDR & then have people show up in shorts.  Ultimately, I really dont care that much.  I just wish they'd settle in on something and then own their decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NthernLgts said:

The thing that gets frustrating with this topic is the cruise line's inconsistency.  Princess is just as bad.  If they want to relax the dress code, fine, then put it out there and be done with it.  People can always dress up more if they wish.  BUT if theyre going to have a dress code, own it and stick with it.  Personally, I think its goofy having what is, in essence, more of a formal type MDR & then have people show up in shorts.  Ultimately, I really dont care that much.  I just wish they'd settle in on something and then own their decision.

 

It's because they can't make everyone happy.  The current situation probably causes the least grumbling overall.

 

If they relax it too much, all the "traditionalists" will be like, the world is going to hell in a handbasket and raise a big fuss

 

If they kick people out for wear shorts, the more whatever, let's say metropolitan people will be like, why the heck do i need to wear pants to a restaurant on a ship in the caribbean that serves chain-restaurant food during a relaxing vacation.

 

This way, they can keep the "traditionalists" happy, and to be honest, some of them probably enjoy the smug self satisfaction of being dress-code police and grumbling to whoever will listen to them.

 

And the others can just wear shorts and not get turned away and everyone is relatively happy.

 

Ps, at least where I am, people go to restaurants like capital grille with shorts all the time and no one bats an eye. Heck there's probably only a handful of restaurants where people would even notice you weren't wearing pants and that's when you get to the ~$300pp range. They probably still wouldn't turn you away.

 

edit: well there's probably some middling old-school traditionalist places that aren't on the foodie scene that probably have a dress code.

Edited by UnorigionalName

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 5:16 PM, island visitor said:

I know this question has been discussed before a number of times and I apologize for bringing it up again, but here goes.  Cruising on the Oasis this month and we haven't cruised on RCI for a few years so was wondering if very many men wear nice shorts in the MDR for dinner?


I haven’t read the whole thread, but thought I’d note that this really varies from

ship to ship and perhaps even who’s at the MDR door when you get there.  I’m on 

Explorer right now and I personally witnessed a guest in shorts being denied entrance to the MDR on the first formal night. He later returned in slacks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

At work.

IMG_20160510_173423.jpg

So dapper!  I love the UKs tradition of wearing hats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

It's because they can't make everyone happy.  The current situation probably causes the least grumbling overall.

 

If they relax it too much, all the "traditionalists" will be like, the world is going to hell in a handbasket and raise a big fuss

 

If they kick people out for wear shorts, the more whatever, let's say metropolitan people will be like, why the heck do i need to wear pants to a restaurant on a ship in the caribbean that serves chain-restaurant food during a relaxing vacation.

 

This way, they can keep the "traditionalists" happy, and to be honest, some of them probably enjoy the smug self satisfaction of being dress-code police and grumbling to whoever will listen to them.

 

And the others can just wear shorts and not get turned away and everyone is relatively happy.

 

Ps, at least where I am, people go to restaurants like capital grille with shorts all the time and no one bats an eye. Heck there's probably only a handful of restaurants where people would even notice you weren't wearing pants and that's when you get to the ~$300pp range. They probably still wouldn't turn you away.

 

edit: well there's probably some middling old-school traditionalist places that aren't on the foodie scene that probably have a dress code.

 

Perhaps, but people booking a cruise knew the the expectations before they booked too.  The irony is when higher end restaurants do have a dress code they typically enforce it, but I admit it IS becoming less of a thing.  BTW, in my heart I consider myself more of a traditionalist too.  However, I'd be happy with whatever policy they choose, as long as they own it.  It wouldnt stop me from cruising at all if cruise lines relaxed their dress code, and most people who enjoy the dress code arent snobs.  Again, for me its less the actual policy than it is making a decision to have a policy then ignoring it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NthernLgts said:

 

Perhaps, but people booking a cruise knew the the expectations before they booked too.  The irony is when higher end restaurants do have a dress code they typically enforce it, but I admit it IS becoming less of a thing.  BTW, in my heart I consider myself more of a traditionalist too.  However, I'd be happy with whatever policy they choose, as long as they own it.  It wouldnt stop me from cruising at all if cruise lines relaxed their dress code, and most people who enjoy the dress code arent snobs.  Again, for me its less the actual policy than it is making a decision to have a policy then ignoring it.  

The evening dress guidelines for the MDR is not a policy. You know for yourself what the published guidelines are. Dress accordingly or alter it to what you like and feel comfortable wearing. Something for everyone. Not worth concerning yourself about what others are wearing. You can't do anything about it. If the staff at the entrance is cool with what everyone is wearing that's all that matters for whatever reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is interesting to me is that I have legit rich set of friends that we have dinner with every month.  We pick all kinds of restaurants- from $10 a plate to well over $100.  DH and I used to dress up, but they were always casual- jeans, shorts, etc.  now we’ve followed their lead, and never feel out of place 🙂. (However, we do dress up on the cruise, because we like to :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 7:39 PM, renza said:

Everybody is moving to Florida. Over 1,000 people a day. We have no more room. 

That's what my in laws say. My MIL also says another house up for sale when ever she hears an ambulance siren. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, Ptroxx said:

This isn’t the roaring 20’s anymore. Times have change.  Attire has changed. 
people can be well dressed and not be in a stuffy suit and tie. 
 

I’d beat most everyone that says you néed to be dressed up is retired.   
 

times have changed. And the cruise lines are adjusting to change.     

Actually it is the roaring 20's in a sense that change is happening in the modern world.  Victorians in their bustles, spats and high neck collars can't accept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 12:22 AM, NavyCruiser said:

This shouldn't be about whether you can or should.  It's about Respect.  Respect to yourself, to your spouse/partner, & to your fellow tablemates.  

You're entering a nice beautiful dinning room with upscale china, silverware, glassware, cloth tablecloths,and staff in vests & tie.

We also dress all of our boys in long pants ever since they can walk & still do 20+ cruises & 25 yrs later.  

One pair of nice long pants doesn't take up that much more luggage space than shorts.

We do not care whether what others are wearing, we can't control what they wear, but just for us, it's all about showing respect to rest of our traveling family...

Upscale china, silverware and glassware??? Upscale from what? Paper plates,  Dixie cups and plastic utensils?  It's standard restaurant quality at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

It's because they can't make everyone happy.  The current situation probably causes the least grumbling overall.

 

If they relax it too much, all the "traditionalists" will be like, the world is going to hell in a handbasket and raise a big fuss

 

If they kick people out for wear shorts, the more whatever, let's say metropolitan people will be like, why the heck do i need to wear pants to a restaurant on a ship in the caribbean that serves chain-restaurant food during a relaxing vacation.

 

This way, they can keep the "traditionalists" happy, and to be honest, some of them probably enjoy the smug self satisfaction of being dress-code police and grumbling to whoever will listen to them.

 

And the others can just wear shorts and not get turned away and everyone is relatively happy.

 

Ps, at least where I am, people go to restaurants like capital grille with shorts all the time and no one bats an eye. Heck there's probably only a handful of restaurants where people would even notice you weren't wearing pants and that's when you get to the ~$300pp range. They probably still wouldn't turn you away.

 

edit: well there's probably some middling old-school traditionalist places that aren't on the foodie scene that probably have a dress code.

Living in Hawaii, there is almost no restaurant that will turn you away, even at $300pp.  It is because hawaii is a VACATION destination.  Hence the informal and relaxing attire.  The only time I have seen formal wear is for black tie events.  Even at weddings, men wear aloha shirts, dress shorts and slippers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frank808 said:

Living in Hawaii, there is almost no restaurant that will turn you away, even at $300pp.  It is because hawaii is a VACATION destination.  Hence the informal and relaxing attire.  The only time I have seen formal wear is for black tie events.  Even at weddings, men wear aloha shirts, dress shorts and slippers.  

Awww, you said slippers!!!  My bestie is from HI, and she says slippers too 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, Jewelim333 said:

What is wrong with raising the bar a little when you are on vacation?  I really don't want to look at anyone's hairy legs during dinner.  Is it so bad to put on a pair of pants?  Yes, those pictures of the model wearing shorts and a jacket are quite nice.  But we all know that the people we are talking about do not look like those models.  The Windjammer is the place for shorts imho.  Those in shorts in the MDR are  exercising their right to "relax" on a cruise vacation. 

 

For me, I enjoy being nicely dressed for dinner (no shorts) because I AM on vacation (which is only a few days each year).  A vacation is a special time for us- and not about what I wear day to day for work (business casual).  Even when my sons vacationed with us when they were younger, they were dressed for dinner.   

 

In short- to each his own.  But don't expect everyone else to like what you like.

 

And for the record, I'm in my 60s, work full time and do not live in Florida.

so you don't want to look at some ones hairy legs. In some parts of the world it is common for women to not shave their arm pits. So, they have on a cute/beautiful/ classy dress and they lift their arms exposing their unshaven arm pits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do away with all of the silly formal nights or what ever you want to call them and Instead let people dress however they want, but make it very clear what is not allowed and then enforce it. 

 

I dress nicely for dinner, but I'm so past the point of caring if someone wears shorts or jeans to dinner.  It's just dinner and certainly not a special event like it was long ago.

 

All I want to do anymore is relax and have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mek said:

Do away with all of the silly formal nights or what ever you want to call them and Instead let people dress however they want, but make it very clear what is not allowed and then enforce it. 

 

I dress nicely for dinner, but I'm so past the point of caring if someone wears shorts or jeans in the evening.  It's just dinner and certainly not a special event like it was long ago.

 

All I want to do anymore is relax and have fun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mek said:

 ... and then enforce it. ...

 

That is the part that won't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was recently on the Anthem of the Sea's and I saw men in shorts in the main dinning room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...