Shorts in the MDR for dinner

On 1/15/2020 at 11:23 PM, ReneeFLL said:

And some people have more class than others.👍  I have never understood why it kills people to put on a pair of pants.

Don't want to in the Caribbean. 

Hope that made it easy to understand.  

• Like 4

On 1/16/2020 at 9:20 AM, ReneeFLL said:

I haven't worked in the past 8 years. Being retired and not wearing pants has nothing to do with each other, it's just a lame excuse.

Renee

No one is badgering you to change your ways.  Your attitude towards others is very sour.  

Cruising isn't what it was 30 years ago.  You have to accept it and continue to do what you like to do.  But being nasty towards others isn't going to win anyone over.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 3:04 PM, I_r_a said:

> wondering if very many men wear nice shorts in the MDR for dinner?

Yes, if by "many" you mean a small fraction.

However, you also have to wear a baseball cap turned backwards and have at least one tattoo.

Enjoy your trip.

Ira

I have never worn a baseball cap backwards in my entire life, and I don't desecrate my body with tattoos or piercings.   Do you wear your polyester pale blue pants up to your nipples, perhaps with white patent leather shoes and a ruffled shirt?  Probably not.  See, generalizations don't quite work.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, Jewelim333 said:

I really don't want to look at anyone's hairy legs during dinner.  

Then I suggest not crawling under table cloths and looking at strangers.  Might get you kicked off the ship. 

Funny, no one complains about these 20-40 year old women wearing rompers with their butts hanging out.  

This is outright sexism and ageism.  People here demand that everyone adhere to THEIR antiquated ideas of societal norms.  NEWS FLASH:  Royal Caribbean MDR "ain't all that" anymore, not even close.  It's wrong to demand something of men, and not of women.  It is wrong to state that only those under 50 want to be casual.  It is wrong for the nasty naysayers on here to continually put down anyone who does things a different way. 

You can buy me a drink on my next cruise if you are there, I'll allow it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2020 at 2:03 PM, grapau27 said:

More leg from a 63 year old.

I always wear trousers in MDR though for dinner.

IMG_20190826_120140.jpg

I think that's a nice outfit.  Don't see a problem.  If you choose to dine in that fine.  If you choose not to, fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2020 at 5:51 PM, Jewelim333 said:

What is wrong with raising the bar a little when you are on vacation?  I really don't want to look at anyone's hairy legs during dinner.  Is it so bad to put on a pair of pants?  Yes, those pictures of the model wearing shorts and a jacket are quite nice.  But we all know that the people we are talking about do not look like those models.  The Windjammer is the place for shorts imho.  Those in shorts in the MDR are  exercising their right to "relax" on a cruise vacation. 

For me, I enjoy being nicely dressed for dinner (no shorts) because I AM on vacation (which is only a few days each year).  A vacation is a special time for us- and not about what I wear day to day for work (business casual).  Even when my sons vacationed with us when they were younger, they were dressed for dinner.   

In short- to each his own.  But don't expect everyone else to like what you like.

And for the record, I'm in my 60s, work full time and do not live in Florida.

Why do I have to raise the bar especially on vacation? Now don't get me wrong when we did Quantum instead of a formal night they had a formal restaurant and all the rest were Cruise Casual. Now I am down for that. If they wanted to make one floor formal only or even curtain off an area and make it formal only in the MDR I think that would be very sensible. And I say that as someone who dresses up as much as possible every night in the MDR. Just because I enjoy dressing up doesn't seem to me to mean I should expect others to. And some people can't afford it after paying for a cruise. 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

I think that's a nice outfit.  Don't see a problem.  If you choose to dine in that fine.  If you choose not to, fine.  

I think that is just fine for the MDR on a regular night. I do think on a formal night perhaps take off the sunglasses 😛

Seriously though on a regular night I would think that's acceptable but on a formal night I would go for dark shorts perhaps in navy to match your shoes and a plain shirt as it would look more dressy.

There is nothing elegant or upscale about a Royal Caribbean cruise.  The MDR is loud and frantic rush through dinner. The ship experience is that of an amusement park or carnival for family run. There is nothing that would compel me not to wear shorts on any given night.  On Celebrity or Princess I wouldn't think of wearing short in the MDR. While things have changed on those lines I still feel that it's necessary to wear long pants in the MDR in the evening.  Women seem to get away with just about anything  including spandex pants which should be a privilege to wear not a right. 

• Like 5

I truly accidentally walked into the MDR on Explorer in December on the first formal night, without knowing that it was such. I was stopped at the door by a nice woman who asked if I would mind going back up to my room to change out of my nice dressy shorts and a dressy shirt. I told her I would mind, and that I didn’t see it was designated as formal night in the Cruise Compass and proceeded to my table.  I sat down and told my waiter about it, and he said he would get back with the people that stopped me because I was dressed just fine for formal night.

Now please understand I had packed two sets of formal night dress for this 10 night cruise, an expected to wear such.  I just didn’t see where it was designated as formal night in the Cruise Compass even though I knew the first at sea night is normally formal night.  It was clearly my mistake and I will hopefully not make it again. 

Edited by Johnamac123

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Thank you.

I dress like this during the day on cruise's but always wear long trousers after 6pm.

When we are in Orlando this is my typical attire at night time eating in Longhorns steak house etc.

5 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

I think that is just fine for the MDR on a regular night. I do think on a formal night perhaps take off the sunglasses 😛

Seriously though on a regular night I would think that's acceptable but on a formal night I would go for dark shorts perhaps in navy to match your shoes and a plain shirt as it would look more dressy.

I agree.

Edited by grapau27

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

I dress like this during the day on cruise's but always wear long trousers after 6pm.

When we are in Orlando this is my typical attire at night time eating in Longhorns steak house etc.

Not a fan of chain restaurants but no problem with that attire.  Longhorns food is probably superior to RCI dining room.  Both fit the theme of tourist destinations and the attire is fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Let's all see what you're wearing to MDR for dinner .? 

I want to see how these people board the ship.  Going to guess in tacky Las Vegas t-shirts, jean shorts, blinged out sandals...and have the nerve to complain about others.  

11 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

I don’t think so.  My sister, Pam Stewart, was the waiter captain at The Precinct in Cincinnati for years.  A very classy place that expects classy dress.

we are cincy and spent alot of time at the precinct....great place with wonderful food...Loved the crowd, c collingsworth and his entourage, and back in the day seeing bankamper banging on the piano and eating the best steaks in the u.s.. My neighbor back in those days was sanchez and i know that pam worked with him...small world...my comment about wearing that stuff to ruby's places was meant in jest to those who dress like bums in the mdr on the rccl ships....I was brought up to be respectful of folks and dress nicely wherever we go, it's just  who we are...i wish you well 

I wear a full suit and tie at all times so as not to disrespect others.  I could not live with myself if random strangers thought poorly of my choice of attire.

But seriously, I'm having a really hard time understanding how someone is being "disrespectful" by dressing to their preference. Furthermore, where do you arbitrarily draw the line? Do people in a tux get to look down on those in a suite?  If your tux isn't hand made with the finest threads, do you have to go stand in the corner with the rest of the losers?

I think people just like to be offended, and some people aren't truly happy unless they're miserable.

This entire thread is best summed up with "Stop liking things I don't like!".

I mean, I think again a lot of the discussion is because cruises aggregate people from many different regions and ages and cultures.  I think there's a lack of understanding that what one might think is culturally appropriate isn't what someone else thinks is culturally appropriate.  And I think the sticking point is that people don't stop to think that other "cultures" are just as valid as their own.

Like what "culture" should the cruise ship take? If it's where it's departing, then from Florida would be basically everything's okay.  Or the destinations? Caribbeans? same.  Why do some people who come from more "traditional/conservative" regions think that it makes sense for everyone to change to their preferences?

I've begun to wear shorts in the MDR from time to time, especially when it's hot - but I do wear trousers on formal nights, again if the weather is relevant I'll wear a linen suit as opposed to a heavier material suit in cooler climates.

Each to their own - I've seen someone wear a t-shirt designed to look like a tux, it doesn't make that person any worse than the next one.

But what does annoy me is for everyone who complains about someone wearing shorts and a clean shirt (not worn before or for that matter again on that cruise) there's some scruff wearing the same clothes each and every night at dinner! As far as hygiene goes, if they can't be bothered to change their clothes, then what else are they 'not bothering' to do! 

• Like 1