Shorts in the MDR for dinner

17 hours ago, retired dude said:

we are cincy and spent alot of time at the precinct....great place with wonderful food...Loved the crowd, c collingsworth and his entourage, and back in the day seeing bankamper banging on the piano and eating the best steaks in the u.s.. My neighbor back in those days was sanchez and i know that pam worked with him...small world...my comment about wearing that stuff to ruby's places was meant in jest to those who dress like bums in the mdr on the rccl ships....I was brought up to be respectful of folks and dress nicely wherever we go, it's just  who we are...i wish you well 

I always enjoyed an annual Christmas trip to The Precinct for one of the best steak dinners I’ve ever had with my two children. Pam would always be our server of course and at the end of dinner Jeff Ruby would come by our table to say hello.  He was always kind enough to provide a comped dessert to end the meal. You’re right in your assessment.  One of the best restaurants anywhere.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, retired dude said:

so wife beaters, flip flops and a ball cap would now work at jeff ruby's????????

Delete - sorry I incorrectly read the post.

Edited by mek

On 1/22/2020 at 3:23 AM, Johnamac123 said:

I always enjoyed an annual Christmas trip to The Precinct for one of the best steak dinners I’ve ever had with my two children. Pam would always be our server of course and at the end of dinner Jeff Ruby would come by our table to say hello.  He was always kind enough to provide a comped dessert to end the meal. You’re right in your assessment.  One of the best restaurants anywhere.

I like Carlos and Johnny the best of the Jeff Ruby's steakhouses.  The Precinct always seems so crowded and tables are very close together.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:32 PM, unrealHeather said:

It is discourage in writing (and it's printed on the daily schedule) but whether they will turn you away at the door of the MDR is up to the manager at the door.  We end up at Windjammer because of this.  Can he bring a pair of pants and change for dinner.  Linen pants can be as comfortable as shorts really if temperature is a problem.

Temperature is never a problem in the MDR.  My wife always brings a wrap.  SPECIAL PEOPLE come up with all kinds of excuses not to follow the dress codes which clearly say no shorts.  Shorts are NEVER appropriate in a nice restaurant like the MDR no matter where you live!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

Temperature is never a problem in the MDR.  My wife always brings a wrap.  SPECIAL PEOPLE come up with all kinds of excuses not to follow the dress codes which clearly say no shorts.  Shorts are NEVER appropriate in a nice restaurant like the MDR no matter where you live!

We live in South Florida, and most men, my husband included, almost always wear shorts in restaurants.  The only exception would be a special occasion.  That said, we have seen shorts in the MDR for years, and I've never seen anyone turned away.  

7 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

how do you know about where I live?  Points that have been repeatedly been made:

1) the MDR is definitely NOT a nice restaurant

2) shorts are appropriate in most of the trendiest and nice restaurants where I am and people wouldn't give you a second look, especially in the summer.

If you just go by poster locations on this thread you will notice some general trends...  Just accept that it's a cultural thing.  A lot of people don't care for the old ways anymore.  And I definitely don't think that's a bad thing.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

The MDR isn’t a nice restaurant. It’s equivalent to an Olive Garden or chili’s. Food is good but it’s not upscale. 

And where I live in Florida most people go to eat in shorts and even flip flop type shoes. That doesn’t make my food taste any better or worse. 

Everyone just needs to stop worrying about what strangers are doing. You can’t control it, the cruise lines no longer care, and calling people “special” to insult them doesn’t change anyone’s mind. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Giorgi-one said:

Don't know where you live but comparing the MDR to a nice restaurant leads me to believe that you are comparing it to a Denny's. On Royal Caribbean the MDR is equivalent to a family chain restaurant  like Longhorn Steakhouse or  Cheesecake Factory.  I don't consider myself special for wearing shorts in the MDR as I am among majority ,at least on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Those who over dress are the special ones as they are in the minority. 

• Like 3

Just now, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Last night on Explorer the compass listed the dress code as resort casual and specifically said in the description Bermuda & Golf shorts were acceptable.  I don’t recall seeing that language before.  Just an observation FWIW.

Glad to see them finally embracing reality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Glad to see them finally embracing reality.

1 hour ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Last night on Explorer the compass listed the dress code as resort casual and specifically said in the description Bermuda & Golf shorts were acceptable.  I don’t recall seeing that language before.  Just an observation FWIW.

Awesome.  I’m ready either way for formal and casual.   

711C92A7-4CD0-4658-99D0-774F485D2157.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

I guess they finally came to terms. To be honest those are the shorts that I have seen and worn. I have never seen basketball  or cutoff shorts worn during dinner or wife beaters for that matter.

Just now, Johnamac123 said:

Clarea, this was not a formal night. Almost every night resort casual was recommended dress plus a Caribbean night dress while visiting one of the ABC's. Formal night dress was the same as always. I just sailed her in December... 

For years they would have signs and notes in the Compass about not allowing shorts in the MDR for dinner any night.  They stopped enforcing that a while back, but the notices still persisted.  I think it's a positive step that the the dress suggestion is closer to reality now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mek said:

I like Carlos and Johnny the best of the Jeff Ruby's steakhouses.  The Precinct always seems so crowded and tables are very close together.

Now that Pam has retired I'll have to give C&J's a try. Maybe I need to take Pam and my nephew with me ...

On our cruise in December (Freedom of the Seas), my husband wanted to wear shorts one night in the dining room, so unsure if he was able to do so, I called the front desk and they responded "oh yes, all men are required to wear pants" in the main dining rooms.  So off to dinner we go with DH in his pants.  I would bet that half of the men in that room had shorts on.  So really, if it is a requirement to wear pants it certainly was not enforced on our cruise, and I would bet that it is not enforced of most of the ships either! What I really CAN'T stand in the main dining room is men who wear baseball hats during dinner or are wearing jeans that are torn and look like you would wear to a park or bar-b-que.

I read here that MDR is no longer a nice restaurant- well- more´s the pitty. It used to be a nice- a very nice restaurant! If the MDR´s on boad RCI ships are no longer nice restaurants- maybe it is BECAUSE there so many men in shorts!

Even so- there are shorts and shorts! I would not dream of wearing shorts in the MDR- appropriate for the windjammer maybe but not the MDR.

In that I seem to be a dinnosaur- and we all know what happend to them- LOL.

More and more cruise passengers  prefer to cruise " Camp ground style"!

• Like 1

I forgot- not all legs are made for wearing shorts- but i know that does not bother some people anymore! LOL!

Can´t wait to see for myself in October I return to RCI after 10 years. And if i come upon guys in shorts- maybe acompanied by nice, beige  sox up until the knee- at least i have something to chuckle about  secretly to myself-- of course. We wont offend anyone wont we?

Edited by Germancruiser

24 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I read here that MDR is no longer a nice restaurant- well- more´s the pitty. It used to be a nice- a very nice restaurant! If the MDR´s on boad RCI ships are no longer nice restaurants- maybe it is BECAUSE there so many men in shorts!

Even so- there are shorts and shorts! I would not dream of wearing shorts in the MDR- appropriate for the windjammer maybe but not the MDR.

In that I seem to be a dinnosaur- and we all know what happend to them- LOL.

More and more cruise passengers  prefer to cruise " Camp ground style"!

I think it's because land-based restaurants have improved and blown by.  Modern dining is more about the food first over ambiance, and more like nouvelle cuisine and ethnic based with a focus on good  fresh local ingredients.  It's just kind of impossible to do that on a cruise ship that shops once a week and needs to feed thousands of people with chefs from all over.  The old school heavy french style food that focuses more on the classic recipes, fanciness of ingredient, and heavy sauces is much easier to execute rather than the new focus on freshness and creativity. 

For example, if you look at say, the new NCL ships, food republic is widely rated as one of the places with the best food, and much better than the MDR.  And it has a much more relaxed casual atmosphere.  On land that would be a fairly average restaurant for hip food.

Wonderland would be somewhat like that in terms of food, but there's the whole performance aspect of wonderland that makes it a little different.  Even 150 central park feels a little old school.

Like real serious good food, we are talking about Michelin stars.  And for white table cloth and jackets, we are talking like 2+ Michelin stars.  I think the US has just more caught up to europe and asia in terms of expectations for quality of food.  In the coastal metropolitan cities, "nice" dress-up restaurants have all had to adapt and catch up, or die...

If anyone disagrees, I would highly like to see your photos of cruise food of the good-days gone bye.  I am very curious actually.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I think it's because land-based restaurants have improved and blown by.  Modern dining is more about the food first over ambiance, and more like nouvelle cuisine and ethnic based with a focus on good  fresh local ingredients.  It's just kind of impossible to do that on a cruise ship that shops once a week and needs to feed thousands of people with chefs from all over.  The old school heavy french style food that focuses more on the classic recipes, fanciness of ingredient, and heavy sauces is much easier to execute rather than the new focus on freshness and creativity. 

For example, if you look at say, the new NCL ships, food republic is widely rated as one of the places with the best food, and much better than the MDR.  And it has a much more relaxed casual atmosphere.  On land that would be a fairly average restaurant for hip food.

Wonderland would be somewhat like that in terms of food, but there's the whole performance aspect of wonderland that makes it a little different.  Even 150 central park feels a little old school.

Like real serious good food, we are talking about Michelin stars.  And for white table cloth and jackets, we are talking like 2+ Michelin stars.  I think the US has just more caught up to europe and asia in terms of expectations for quality of food.  In the coastal metropolitan cities, "nice" dress-up restaurants have all had to adapt and catch up, or die...

If anyone disagrees, I would highly like to see your photos of cruise food of the good-days gone bye.  I am very curious actually.

That was before digital photography smartphones and cloud storage. I never took pictures of food back then.

Perfect explanation. You should save it in a word document so you can repost it on the next Shorts in the MDR or other dress code thread.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

I can just speak- write- about Germany of course- but we have nice and good restaurants with fine food- like homecooked,  with fresh ingredients which also focus on ambience- tableclothes and the like- those restaurants have nothing to do with Michelin Star restaurants with their fancy cousine- where it is more like see to be seen. Oh my quite off topic i fear. LOL

We run a little cofe house- bakery chain- and our customers appericiate the ambience in them very much- according to frequency they have.

Edited by Germancruiser