Jump to content

Carnival Panorama 01/04/2020 – 01/11/2020


Recommended Posts

Thank  you for following along so far.  Onwards!

 

Thoughts on Cabins:

My family and I booked a Deluxe Oceanview Cabin 1268.  I liked the lower decks and it doesn’t feel claustrophobic as we can have natural sunlight in the room.  I was thinking of getting a balcony but DH was afraid Aria might take a flying leap off the railing.  I don’t mind, the extra space that we have is useful and we have a spot to keep Aria’s menagerie of towel animals by the end of the cruise.  

 

image.thumb.png.76ebf05d7f0c5a19959266157c482b23.png

 

The extra bath tub/shower area is really convenient when 4 of us are getting ready at the same time.  The bathtub area has a sink, so this is where I wash my Carnival drink tumblers and water bottles. It's a bit of a tight squeeze though, but I managed.

 

The only thing is at certain speeds there is a creaking sound between the walls.  I don’t know if it was just me or it’s because the ship is still new.   At first I thought it was furniture rubbing against the wall and I was trying to see if I can do anything about it.  No…it’s IN THE WALL.  Unless I take a  welding machine and torch the thing, I will not be able to get into the wall  and relieve us of the sound.  It does stop, but it was annoying when you’re trying to get some sleep.  This happened on the first day going down to Cabo, then again coming back up from the Cabo area (2nd sea day).  A pillow over my ears did muffle the sound a bit so I was able to sleep.  DH wasn’t bothered by the sound, though.  He said he had it worse back on Navy ships.  I only hope that the “growing pains” of the new ship would eventually settle down since  I never had that issue with older ships (Imagination,  Inspiration, Miracle, Legend).

 

The Olds got a porthole cabin as inside guarantee.  The room was huge and had some natural light from the 2 portholes.  Monami said she slept fine.  Pops also slept okay but he can hear the waves slam into the hull of the ship.  I did warn him what to expect especially when we’re traveling over open ocean in top speeds.  But at least he wasn’t motion sick! Yay for the stabilizers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ak4n3 said:

 DH wasn’t bothered by the sound, though.  He said he had it worse back on Navy ships. 

Yes, and the U.S.S. Denver was a fine ship. We're enjoying your review, we sail Panorama on Feb. 1st.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Popsie and DH trying to trounce each other in table tennis at the club house.  I try not to get involved in any competitive sports activities

image.thumb.png.b0b7ed4b8a8bf11e798219f2073c2603.png

 

Camp Ocean Dr Seuss Bookville, Aria's home away from home

 

image.thumb.png.6b1dfc579e33f96d671cfef74d03254d.png

 

image.thumb.png.680d76e2c9a19b8b0f08af020c190a5f.png

 

image.thumb.png.ab6cec892914daf92a0c9b5fce485cd6.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh the smoky bbq goodness on Deck 5:  Guy's Pig and Anchor.  I didn't notice if the outside counters were open during embarkation but you can get no-cost bbq during sea days.  It's a la carte at dinner time.  Visit the pig and the Guy Fieri statue (creepy, though)

 

image.thumb.png.a594fcc1e0847dc8c871244731f0f679.png

 

image.thumb.png.e9e01536013b677d0e385c18ef60f187.png

 

Heroes Tribute Bar at Deck 4.  Near and dear to DH's heart

 

image.thumb.png.12494ddb6532062c3f89b15c150f9c0b.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Night time walkabouts are nice, barely any people.

 

The view of the Havana Area from Deck 10.  One day, mark my words, I'll be there...in 7 years because I have a 5 year old right nnow.  😞 

image.thumb.png.7ad2b6a9d7994076d9e71f2a003d4540.png

 

Deck 10 pool area

image.thumb.png.ad8d8aed6c1b9a5b78309d42f0a36c52.png

 

Water Works

image.thumb.png.ecd804e39692481ae9d5d66ecd854a90.png

 

Deck 11 view of the Dive in Theater from behind the slides.  I couldn't get a nice whale tail shot, the slides were blocking my angle.  I wanted a whale tail shot with the name of the ship above the Deck 10 pool.  Alas, this ship layout was not meant to be.

image.thumb.png.dafe62bd6f410528a70596749af5d3a9.png

 

Tiptoeing thru the putt-putt

image.thumb.png.427dd69649ecc0c8636e0ea2b31f32af.png

 

Purty dandelions

image.thumb.png.645fb4a7cb7af33358ea3ac6a1a428b6.png

Edited by Ak4n3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnival Kitchens

 

I booked the Pasta Master class because this was the only class that fits in our schedule.  It was on 10AM first sea day.  Bren wanted to learn how to make pasta as he was already eating all my store bought pasta every after school.  Mom, Bren, and   I signed up for this one.  DH wanted something else but it conflicts with everything we wanted to do.

 

We arrived at 10 and the class was full.  There are 18 attendees with 9 stations.  After washing our hands, the instructor oriented us to our work areas.  Don’t worry if you don’t know your way in a fancy kitchen setup, there are a couple of chef there to assist.  They gave my son praise and that they were happy to see young people who want to learn how to cook.  A good skill to learn, especially if they are at an age when they are always whiny about “there is nothing to eat.”

 

The recipe is simple and I think we can actually replicate it back at home.  We listed our emails before we left.

 

We weren't allowed to bring our the food we made, health regulations they said.  So, sonny boy had to inhale everything.  Popsie popped his head in and asked for a taste.  He approves.  They gave each of us a spatula with the Carnival kitchens logo, no apron though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnival Kitchen Pics

 

View from the long table

image.thumb.png.74ad22d78e860b55d79b02249e0e3196.png

 

 

Ingredients for Cherry Tomato Pesto sauce and Pasta

 

image.thumb.png.f519d1a9bc8e1dc246b8a7d6fbe322f6.png

 

The finished product

image.thumb.png.8a965eca264794a1f78ddc32ecc85f16.png

 

Silicone spatulas not small, regular normal sized.  They will be well used in this house.

image.png.978c6dca279624932b5745e0a7a8ef58.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jallison8378 said:

We sail the Panorama on the 25th and I'm loving your review so far! I just showed my 5-year old the pics of Camp Ocean and he shrieked with excitement. 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to share!

 

I hope your son would love it as much as my daughter.  She would stay longer if she could.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice review. I was interested in hearing about the cooking classes.😋    I like your pictures too. 

 

I am jealous after seeing camp ocean, but alas I aged out in 1959. 😁

 

I think you are so lucky to travel with your parents. There is magic when families are together.

 

I am on the ship Jan. 25, and like you I do enjoy that "new ship smell."

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, geaux_aces said:

Great Review.  Do you happen to remember what time the ship started debarkation? We're sailing her in May and trying to determine flights. 

 

If I remember, self debarkation started around 8am.  However, I wouldn’t advise flights before noon on debarkation day. There are just so many people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moviela said:

 

 

I am jealous after seeing camp ocean, but alas I aged out in 1959.

 

I am on the ship Jan. 25, and like you I do enjoy that "new ship smell."

 

These youngsters don’t know how they had it so good.  (Argh, I’m starting to sound like pops!😫)

 

Have a safe journey on the 25th!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, Ak4n3 said:

Carnival Kitchens

 

I booked the Pasta Master class because this was the only class that fits in our schedule.  It was on 10AM first sea day.  Bren wanted to learn how to make pasta as he was already eating all my store bought pasta every after school.  Mom, Bren, and   I signed up for this one.  DH wanted something else but it conflicts with everything we wanted to do.

 

We arrived at 10 and the class was full.  There are 18 attendees with 9 stations.  After washing our hands, the instructor oriented us to our work areas.  Don’t worry if you don’t know your way in a fancy kitchen setup, there are a couple of chef there to assist.  They gave my son praise and that they were happy to see young people who want to learn how to cook.  A good skill to learn, especially if they are at an age when they are always whiny about “there is nothing to eat.”

 

The recipe is simple and I think we can actually replicate it back at home.  We listed our emails before we left.

 

We weren't allowed to bring our the food we made, health regulations they said.  So, sonny boy had to inhale everything.  Popsie popped his head in and asked for a taste.  He approves.  They gave each of us a spatula with the Carnival kitchens logo, no apron though.  

Thanks so much for all your great information.  We will sail from the West Coast for the 1st time at the end of August.  Couple of questions please - how much was the cooking class and did it vary based on what was taught?  For Cabo which was a tender port - where did you anchor?  I am trying to line up a day pass at one of the all inclusive hotels and just need an idea of where the tender lets you off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GLCM GUY said:

We sail on her in February.  At Puerto Vallarta do you remember where the ship docked?  Was it by the Mexican Naval base? 

It's right across the street from Walmart and Sam's club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, GLCM GUY said:
  • Do you remember where you docked in Puerto Vallarta?  Was it by the Mexican Naval Base?

 

Right next to the naval base in front of the mall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 10:56 AM, Keata said:

Thanks so much for all your great information.  We will sail from the West Coast for the 1st time at the end of August.  Couple of questions please - how much was the cooking class and did it vary based on what was taught?  For Cabo which was a tender port - where did you anchor?  I am trying to line up a day pass at one of the all inclusive hotels and just need an idea of where the tender lets you off. 

 

There are short classes (Pasta, Pizza, Ice Cream, etc) during the day for $30/person.  The later classes (like Indian food with Dinner or Asian food with dinner) costs $59/person.  The info for the classes are in the Specialty Dining button, it will also say what days they are available and the time slot.

 

In Cabo, we anchored off between Medano Beach and the Arch.  Somewhere there.  The tender only lets everybody off on the dock.  I don't think the tenders are allowed to go to the Medano beach areas, if that's what you're thinking.  A water taxi will take you to the beach areas once you get off the tenders.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...