Walking to El Morro

diverdon48371

There is a trail along the water at the base of the fort(south side I think), does that trail go all the way around the fort? Is there a place that you can enter the fort from that trail? I have walked on parts of the trail and saw allot of cats, are they still there?

Thank You in advance

Don

You can still walk along the Paseo until City Gate, but I believe the last 3/4 mile to the fort were partially washed away by the hurricanes.  Don't know if that section has reopened.  But exit at City Gate and then you'll be outside the parkland leading up to the fort entrance.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just there last week and did not see a single cat. I had heard the same about there being a ton of them but we didn't see any.  I'm not sure if that trail is open all the way around.  When we asked we were told it would be easier to take a taxi to the fort and then walk back, as most of the way would be downhill.  ;)  So that's what we did. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lard Greystoke said:

Haven't been there for some time, but back then the trail ended right under the fort.  You could not access the fort from the trail; have to backtrack, go up through the big red gate, and walk through the City.

They opened an entrance that you access from the base of the fort just past the roundabout where thee path used to end. The path was extended a bit in order to connect with this new access.

i-4fFs279-L.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 5:07 PM, MichMom06 said:

We were just there last week and did not see a single cat. I had heard the same about there being a ton of them but we didn't see any.  I'm not sure if that trail is open all the way around.  When we asked we were told it would be easier to take a taxi to the fort and then walk back, as most of the way would be downhill.  😉 So that's what we did. 

How much was the taxi to El Morro? There used to be a trolley - is that still running?  TIA!

Walked the trail from the gate to El Morro last week.  There's an access path from the end of the trail up to the ocean side lawn in the front of the fort - 109 steps total that I counted.  There are several kitty habitats along the trail and I saw a couple dozen cats.  Beautiful walk.  Free yellow golf carts stop regularly.  Took them 3 times and the longest wait was 45 min, others were less than 15 min.

• Like 2