Cruise Critic Community
CarelessAndConfused

Can you provide any of your experiences regarding the infamous "art auction" on Princess cruises?

4 hours ago, chrysalis said:

On the Crown last March, I was eating a burger at a table near the grill, and there were two women sitting at the table behind me. One said to the other something to the effect that she was thrilled with her six pieces of art that she had purchased so far, and because the auctioneer had said that they would for sure be wonderful investments, she was going to buy another 5 or 6 before the cruise was over.

It took all the restraint that I could muster from not turning around and providing some unsolicited advice.....

I read this out to my wife and her response was "Sure it will be worth something, a lot less than they paid". Another comment from her "it is garbage to sell" She is a trained artist by the way.

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Very often the first item of the day goes for almost next to nothing. 

Which is probably the actual value.

1 hour ago, PoohUnderstands said:

However, would like to add one thing.  If you get a good head auctioneer, try going not to the auctions but to the history lectures that they give.  As I said, depending on the lecturer, these sessions can be very interesting and informative (to newbies like us to the art/art history scene).  Just something different to offset the trivia and other offerings that are out there.

Pooh

You are assuming they actually know anything about art and art history when in reality they may just be creating a sales pitch.

We bought one piece when I won the $500 off prize. Still had to pay shipping etc. It had a nice frame, and it ended up costing me around $120. That is probably what I would have paid for it here at home.

The art is awful, and we used to go for the entertainment, but it made me sad to see people being tricked into buying. They really do push the idea that people are buying investments. (Patently ridiculous)

My wife goes for the champagne sometimes (ugh), but I no longer go. 

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Watch the episode on American Greed. Even originals may not be originals. 

Is that a film or TV series?

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I read this out to my wife and her response was "Sure it will be worth something, a lot less than they paid". Another comment from her "it is garbage to sell" She is a trained artist by the way.

My wife is also a trained artist, so some of her knowledge  has rubbed off on me over the years.

I like some of the art and would buy it but not at this auction and not for the price they're asking.  I'm pretty sure they have "customers" set up to get the auction started, we saw a couple bid $8,000 on a piece, and it was the first one shown, sort of staged customer.   That purchased got the others interested and then they were selling a lot of art.  I've visited a few times, set there, but after an hour left, when I passed the auction later, it was still going on for 3 hours.  It all seemed very fake.

6 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

However, would like to add one thing.  If you get a good head auctioneer, try going not to the auctions but to the history lectures that they give.  As I said, depending on the lecturer, these sessions can be very interesting and informative (to newbies like us to the art/art history scene).  Just something different to offset the trivia and other offerings that are out there.

Pooh

My DW who is an art teacher went to one of the lectures once, and the lecturer did not show up. They did take our cabin number and sent her some prints. Another time she went and was one of the two people at the lecture. I showed up near the end to pick her up, and the lecturer groaned thinking he would have to start all over again. LOL

The last one I went to, I was in the back with no one behind me.  The "auctioneer" would bid up people by pointing to non-existent people -- "now in the back", when anyone paying attention could see he wasn't being truthful.  Also, the supposed drawing?  The same little girl won three times, despite there being over 100 people there.  Her parents, of course, had previously bought a few pieces.

Pretty sure these are like the spa -- not actually a part of the cruise line, but contracted with them.  Equally sure that the champagne being served never saw a grape in its life.

19 hours ago, brisalta said:

You are assuming they actually know anything about art and art history when in reality they may just be creating a sales pitch.

I guess I am naive, but they just did a history of a certain period of art or historical artist.  Only selling was telling us at the end when the art auction started, but that is nothing.  And it is just art history that can be read online, but given in a great surrounding(a cruise) and something I wouldn't normally do.  Have you been to one?

Pooh

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

My DW who is an art teacher went to one of the lectures once, and the lecturer did not show up. They did take our cabin number and sent her some prints. Another time she went and was one of the two people at the lecture. I showed up near the end to pick her up, and the lecturer groaned thinking he would have to start all over again. LOL

I think the two times I went, the guy was so good and entertaining that it got around the ship.  After the first lecture, the rest of his presentations were well represented.  I think I lucked out that cruise.  Next time I tried, it was ok, but not like my first time.   However that first guy...... he was so good.

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands

56 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I guess I am naive, but they just did a history of a certain period of art or historical artist.  Only selling was telling us at the end when the art auction started, but that is nothing.  And it is just art history that can be read online, but given in a great surrounding(a cruise) and something I wouldn't normally do.  Have you been to one?

Pooh

We have been to the art history, and we found them quite interesting, but once you have been to a couple you have sort seen all there is to see.

I do agree with you. The presenter can be great or blah.

Edited by RMMariner

I've purchased a couple of Disney

art pieces from the ship, but it was years ago when Princess was still running the auctions themselves rather than Park West.  I think I paid around $150-200 for each one, and don't expect either one to be an investment, but they do look nice in my collection.  On most of my recent cruises there has been nothing that interested me in the art gallery.

I admit that I've bought a few pieces over the years.. but that was when Princess Fine Arts owned it.  Now I think Park West does.  Anyway, reading through the thread, a couple of points may still be relative.  Some limited editions prints can be quite nice on the eyes and though they aren't totally unique, there is some enhancement with them being limited.  Still, I doubt many would look to buy these second hand at a high price.   However, in the past when I bought some pieces, they indeed were less than what I could ever find online or in a gallery (Wyland or Miller for example.)  At the time, frames were included.  AND these framings were quite well done and much less than what I could pay for back home.  So I ended up with pieces that I truly liked, at a lower cost AND well framed.  Wins all around for me.

Now I can't comment on one off originals, but if one truly knows what a similar piece may go for in a gallery, it may be worth it.  I guess the real question is where does one purchase their art from and what would they pay from that source?

All in all, just know what you're getting and determine if it's worth it to you.  So yes, let the buyer beware.  But isn't that true at any gallery?  As a plus, whenever I look at my pieces, it also reminds me of the cruise that I purchased them on.

From what I've read, you may even get some fun out of attending.  I do miss the way Princess Fine Arts ran them since they were pretty low key and gave some great back stories about an artist or two which I also found interesting.. not sure if that's still done today.  The first year when PW took em over, it was a bit of a clown show.. maybe they've toned that down a bit?

Just a view from "the other side."  

2 minutes ago, Vexorg said:

I've purchased a couple of Disney

art pieces from the ship, but it was years ago when Princess was still running the auctions themselves rather than Park West.  I think I paid around $150-200 for each one, and don't expect either one to be an investment, but they do look nice in my collection.  On most of my recent cruises there has been nothing that interested me in the art gallery.

As I just mentioned, I think we've had similar experiences.  I did like the artists more when PFA ran it than with PW.  I even lucked out when one of the artists was on the ship with us.  She was a Disney illustrator.  I already had one of her works and picked up another on that cruise.  And yes.. less than what I could get it online or the few galleries that her works were at.

Do yourselves a favor, don't waste your time and  money........(This from a regular cruiser of 40-years.    I have seen it all)

I always line to pop in quick see what’s happening however have not purchased anything for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Chelly said:

Do yourselves a favor, don't waste your time and  money........(This from a regular cruiser of 40-years.    I have seen it all)

I've seen similar posts many a time.  Can you elaborate as to how it's a wast of time or money?  I mean it's not different than posting on CC that cruising is a wast of time of money without further comment.  

Not trying to be mean a bit, just curious.

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

I've seen similar posts many a time.  Can you elaborate as to how it's a wast of time or money?  I mean it's not different than posting on CC that cruising is a wast of time of money without further comment.  

Not trying to be mean a bit, just curious.

The art auctions are a total rip-off of uninformed cruisers who suddenly believe they are "art" experts.

Buyer Beware.

Go, have fun, buy something if you really like it.  But, only pay what it is worth to you.  No one can decide that for you.  I personally have never been to one but my daughter has. I know there is a picture they sell that she absolutely loves but it always goes for more then she is willing to pay. Maybe someday...

Edited by sprint180

14 hours ago, Chelly said:

The art auctions are a total rip-off of uninformed cruisers who suddenly believe they are "art" experts.

Buyer Beware.

New to cruising here.

Are you saying there is nothing of value in the artwork that is presented in the auctions? 

Are the artists “no name” artists?  Not worth considering?

Thank you.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, Ombud said:

Watch the episode on American Greed. Even originals may not be originals. 

I have not cruised yet,  but considering Princess.  The art auctions on board interest me.  Sounds like a fun thing to attend.   For the history of art lectures alone.  Complimentary drinks a +.   😋.

Was the American Greed episode specially referring to art sold by Park West at their land based /at the ship art auctions? That they knowingly sell fakes?

I could not find the episode you are referring to.

Thanks.

Edited by Justalone

12 minutes ago, Justalone said:

I have not cruised yet,  but considering Princess.  The art auctions on board interest me.  Sounds like a fun thing to attend.   For the history of art lectures alone.  Complimentary drinks a +.   😋.

Was the American Greed episode specially referring to art sold by Park West at their land based /at the ship art auctions? That they knowingly sell fakes?

I could not find the episode you are referring to.

Thanks.

It was about Park West and right after it aired in 2012 Princess offered refunds on art purchases. Mom got the offer but declined returning prints

Like I said, I go for the entertainment