Panorama Debarkation/Flight Time

geaux_aces

Now that Panorama has several sailings, anybody able to speak to what time debark actually starts.  The itinerary says 9am, but we're used to east coast ships that typically start debark super early.  I'm hoping to catch at 10:30 out of LAX for our cruise in May.  If this were MIA or FLL , I know I'd have no problem. I know I can show them I have an early flight and be one of the first off the ship, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it on the Panorama.  Any help is appreciated.  

I was on the first 7 day Panorama cruise.   We docked around 6:00 am, but they didn't start letting people off of the ship until around 7:30 because of a medical situation.  I was off before 8:00 and took a shuttle to the airport.  I was in front of my gate at 9:45.  The traffic going to the airport wasn't bad, but once we got to the airport it was congested.  There were long lines inside for everything, even pre check.  Then I had to take a shuttle bus to my particular terminal.  It was definitely an ordeal and took much longer than any other departure I have ever done on a cruise.  

But still, I was sitting in front of my gate at 9:45, so I could have made a 10:30 flight.  I would never book a flight that early though.  Like I said, it's an ordeal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I was on the first 7 day Panorama cruise.   We docked around 6:00 am, but they didn't start letting people off of the ship until around 7:30 because of a medical situation.  I was off before 8:00 and took a shuttle to the airport.  I was in front of my gate at 9:45.  The traffic going to the airport wasn't bad, but once we got to the airport it was congested.  There were long lines inside for everything, even pre check.  Then I had to take a shuttle bus to my particular terminal.  It was definitely an ordeal and took much longer than any other departure I have ever done on a cruise.  

But still, I was sitting in front of my gate at 9:45, so I could have made a 10:30 flight.  I would never book a flight that early though.  Like I said, it's an ordeal.

Thank you TN. Valuable info, noting arrival time from the ship and departure time for the plane.

• Like 1

I was on the Christmas sailing, and on the ship itself they said they would start regular debarkation at 8:00am. We were on the lowest deck (Deck 1), and sure enough, they called our deck a little after 8:00. And since we didn't have to vacate our staterooms until 8:30, we were actually still in our cabin when they called us, which was nice. All in all, it took about 35-40 minutes from the time they called our deck to the time we arrived at our car in the parking garage. We were already on the road just before 9:00am, when our friends on Deck 2 finally got called off. 

Not enough time for an enjoyable end of a good cruise. Sure it is possible but almost borders on are you kidding me. Some things you have to learn the hard way though. I did. I no longer book a flight on debarkation day. Much less without enough time to go to the bathroom.

• Haha 1

I was on the 1/11 sailing. We didn’t start debarkation until almost 8:30.  The first walk off deck was called at that time. The second walk off deck wasn’t called until almost 9:15, despite repeated announcements that only the specified deck would be allowed off at that time. 

We had the last set of tags of the early tag group (9-10) and we weren’t walking out of the terminal until 11:15

On 1/23/2020 at 9:20 PM, mexicobob said:

Not enough time for an enjoyable end of a good cruise. Sure it is possible but almost borders on are you kidding me. Some things you have to learn the hard way though. I did. I no longer book a flight on debarkation day. Much less without enough time to go to the bathroom.

I'm the same way--it's all about a good end, and a good middle too.  I'm the type that would worry a little bit about it through the whole cruise.  I once had an early afternoon flight from FLL.  The snag came when trying to get through customs, which took over an hour.  Then there was security at the airport that was backed up.  Now I do a comfortable afternoon flight--if it means reading my book at the airport, that's OK--that's better than standing in line and running to gates, and yes....not being able to go to the bathroom.

Just got off the PANORAMA yesterday. I'm Platinum and always take the self-debark. Was off the ship at 7:45, out of the parking garage 10 minutes later and home in the high desert around 9:45. Couldn't have been smoother. Great cruise also

FWIW, for those traveling to LAX, traffic was relatively light (after all it's a Saturday). Should be able to make LAX in around an hour as the 405 blows right by it. However, sometimes the smallest incident on the 405 and everything jams up, so book your return flights with caution. 🙂

Edited by glrounds

• 4 weeks later...

We are still waiting for self disembark at 8:45 .

They just called for deck 2 and we are on deck 6. 

Deck 1 was called at 8AM sharp. 

So far it is a pretty slow process on this one. 

If I had a 10:30 flight I would be pretty panicked at this point. 

We were on the cruise a couple of weeks ago, had self disembarkation and didn't get off till right around 10.  They had only called two group numbers by that time.  Even though they called deck one disembarkation right at 8 am, they didn't call the next group until about an hour had passed.  Once our number was called, we were off the ship and in the parking lot within about 10 - 15 minutes, that part went very quickly.   Customs was the quickest every - a glance at our passports and that was it.  I wouldn't count on a 10:30 flight.

Plus keep in mind with the current coronavirus situation, even if the cruise ship is not affected, security may be tightened up even more going thru disembarkation and checking in at the airport.  I'm taking a late afternoon flight from LAX to Albuquerque so I'm not rushing to get off the ship.

I'm sailing next Saturday, 02/29 and can't wait to try the BBQ!

I got off the Panorama Feb. 15th and this was my experience. I don't know exactly what time they let the first people off but I was zone two and we  were let off the ship at 8:30. I took a Carnival shuttle to LAX. It pulled out at 9:00 and arrived at the airport at 9:30. I was going to terminal 4 (American Airlines) and they stopped at 2 other terminals first so it may have been about 9:40 by the time i got off the bus.

Just disembarked the Panorama this morning and then flew out of LAX.  The answer to your question is primarily going to depend on how quickly you get off the ship and through customs.  We were in a suite, so were one of the first groups off the ship and were out in the parking garage by 8 a.m.  But if you're not diamond, platinum, in a suite, or can otherwise disembark around the same time as these groups, then a 10:30 flight will probably be a challenge.   Although I will say it only took us 25-30 minutes to get to LAX (being a Saturday morning clearly helped) and what was really surprising was that it only took about 4-5 minutes to get through LAX security (Terminal 6).  

Also note that we docked around 6:30, which appears to be the norm.  I make note of this only because though unlikely, any last minute, minor mechanical hiccups, like we had earlier in the week when arriving a little late at Mazatlan, could upset the apple cart.