Loved the Edge; would not sail on her again.

smdubowsky

14 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

We do like the real balconies.

I think that the ship was built for a different group of cruisers.  Think Disney or RCL.

The trend in new cruise ships tends to be bigger and better.  That trend does not match my cruising style.

I can understand you liking real balconies, but having previously only being an RCL cruiser I wouldn't even consider the Edge.
I can't understand what would make you it designed for that market (Disney/RCL) ???

Edited by zeberdee
missed a few words
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

Personally I really hope the remaining three E class ships waiting to be built offer more choices in terms of balcony type. But I think it unlikely unless bookings and the subsequent revenues are impacted enough to make management rethink the whole IV concept which I don't think will happen. 

I think you're correct and that makes me sad.

1 hour ago, zeberdee said:

I can understand you liking real balconies, but having previously only being an RCL cruiser I wouldn't even consider the Edge.
I can't understand what would make you it designed for that market (Disney/RCL) ???

I’m also confused about DCL and RCCL being lumped together as their styles are TOTALLY different. Disney harkens back to classic ocean liners - even with their upcoming new builds. RCCL’s ships have not seemed classic since they started putting “parks” and “boardwalks” and such and are nothing like Disney’s classic look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We too sailed Edge in AQ and our window was closed on several occasions, even in weather that didn't call for it.  I had to get the steward to explain that the bridge had closed the windows.  I thought it was broken.  I saw no posting in the room that the bridge had control.  Did anyone else see a sign or placard to that effect?  We sailed last March , so she was less than six months at sea.  Perhaps they've posted something now.  We're booked on Silly and Connie in the next year.  Will pass on E class.

9 hours ago, Moby Jones said:

This is just plain wrong. All aqua class and all concierge class cabins on both Edge and Apex have IV cabins. 

Personally I really hope the remaining three E class ships waiting to be built offer more choices in terms of balcony type. But I think it unlikely unless bookings and the subsequent revenues are impacted enough to make management rethink the whole IV concept which I don;t think will happen. 

Its very misleading for those who think they have a traditional balcony when booking Aqua and CC. I know that’s what I tried to book and did some further digging. I wonder what happens for those who think they are booking a traditional balcony when booking Aqua get onboard and get a real shock. A lot of angst. Maybe that post can be amended. And maybe they might now understand why there is so much discussion about it. 

4 hours ago, marieps said:

We too sailed Edge in AQ and our window was closed on several occasions, even in weather that didn't call for it.  I had to get the steward to explain that the bridge had closed the windows.  I thought it was broken.  I saw no posting in the room that the bridge had control.  Did anyone else see a sign or placard to that effect?  We sailed last March , so she was less than six months at sea.  Perhaps they've posted something now.  We're booked on Silly and Connie in the next year.  Will pass on E class.

That is the reason why I’m passing on the IV and if I don’t get the SV or cant afford the Suite then it will be on another Celebrity ship or or or - some other cruise line. A shame. 

Perhaps there needs to be some kind of built in message that pops up when the window is closed by the bridge - the stewards must be run off their feet with calls to fix the window. 

Edited by Pushka

52 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Its very misleading for those who think they have a traditional balcony when booking Aqua and CC. I know that’s what I tried to book and did some further digging. I wonder what happens for those who think they are booking a traditional balcony when booking Aqua get onboard and get a real shock. A lot of angst. Maybe that post can be amended. And maybe they might now understand why there is so much discussion about it. 

That is the reason why I’m passing on the IV and if I don’t get the SV or cant afford the Suite then it will be on another Celebrity ship or or or - some other cruise line. A shame. 

Perhaps there needs to be some kind of built in message that pops up when the window is closed by the bridge - the stewards must be run off their feet with calls to fix the window. 

Totally agree.  As an aside; as many have said on this thread,  we found the Edge service to be exceptional.  Our steward had clearly heard our lament on previous voyages and was very understanding and apologetic in his explanation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

There are irregular "regular" verandas on the E-class ships. 1A &1B which are forward and toward the stern. The opening toward the sea is configured like a large porthole.

image.jpeg.5bec7ab4bf3dadd888c33b5b4c600034.jpeg

CORRECT

The only cabins with truly regular verandahs are suites and aft SVs

I sailed last Feb in an IV.  I would never book one again.

at that time my booked cabin had the magic carpet 
going up and down twice a day outside my window

Very expensive for what was received

I haves booked HAL  Oceania(love). And Connie

Edited by Caymus88
Added

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If the IV concept was so good, I wonder why they didn't build them into the suites.  🤔

Exactly.

I do have to give Celebrity credit for one thing that they do very well.  Marketing.  Convicing a cruiser that less is more.  They are very good at that.

The only reason that they came up with the faux balconies was to save fuel and costs.  It is for more profits for RCL.  As a shareholder I applaud this move.  As a cruiser I won't sail on these ships again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zeberdee said:

When I cruised on the Edge it seemed that the average cruiser age was about 5 years younger or more.  They are going after a younger demographic.

I view the Edenists/Eden as more of a Disney type of production (though not done as well).  You do get cruisers on this board making Eden comparisons to Disney.

Eden reminded me of the rear of the ship on either Anthem or Oasis at a smaller scale and without the weird Edenists.

Just curious which ships you like on RCL?  RCL was the reason that I moved to Celebrity.  IMHO the ships were too big for my tastes and the crowd was younger.  However I only sailed the larger ships at the time.

Edited by NMTraveller

We have sailed on most of the RCL ships but not Anthem or Oasis simply because there has not been an itinerary that we have wanted to do.  

We are celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary on the 14th July, which was the main reason for the choice.
This suited our dates and the itinerary is one we have wanted to do, we couldn't arrange this through RCL. 

From the research we have done there will be little of interest for us to do on board as it seems to aimed towards the more mature demographic. But I have my kindle , Ipod and a proper balcony to sit on on sea days.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:52 PM, hcat said:

It hardly ever happened on our cruise. Once for cleaning and once for rain. 

You could use the Veranda area with window closed,  but a reg balc would not be usable at all during rain or cleaning.

Just my thought!

I disagree....rain unless it's coming straight at you with a wind does not make the balcony unusable.  We have spent lots of time on our balcony in the rain, especially if we happen to have a stateroom that is on the back side of a hump...almost always protected from all but the worst rain storms.

• Like 3

It is unfortunate that booking on line there doesn't seem to be any indication that Aqua and Concierge cabins are *all* IV and not regular balcony.

If you look at the deck plan and see those curved pieces over the 'balcony' then it's an infinite veranda. I guess those are the doors.

941548224_ScreenShot2020-01-20at7_50_31AM.png.979bc846165070cdf57054a2a71308e0.png

For Veranda class you can book Sunset Veranda Stateroom or Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda to get a real balcony although only circular opening for the Deluxe.

458529906_ScreenShot2020-01-20at7_55_03AM.png.6d4bcb0697c12209f743a534dce80471.png

Went on Edge last April.  Had a great week, but would not book E class again.  Actually cancelled the Apex when we got back and we had a sunset veranda room booked.
 Agree with many people about IV cabin.  Really disliked the fact that air conditioning went off even when veranda doors were closed. We do understand the reasoning. 

What we did not like was the lack of bars, the lack of shaded areas by the pool, no forward public areas, the running track, and we’re not fans of Eden.
We loved the staff and the food, and we did enjoy having drinks on the magic carpet when it was open.

After experiencing the Edge it was a “been there done that” and We cancelled the Apex.  We had a great price but decided that we would rather go back on an  older M class or S class ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pushka said:

Are not the photos on X's website clear enough to make a determination as to what the 'balcony' type is?

If not, the written description clearly states it is an IV, at least on the U.S. site.

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Are not the photos on X's website clear enough to make a determination as to what the 'balcony' type is?

If not, the written description clearly states it is an IV, at least on the U.S. site.

bon voyage

I think this is a very fair comment. For anyone new to 'Infinite Verandas' I'd suggest that you watch this video or any of the others of Youtube so that you fully understand what they are and if they're the right cabin type for you :-

• Thanks 1

“Really disliked the fact that air conditioning went off even when veranda doors were closed. We do understand the reasoning. ”

I thought the AC stayed on if the Verandah doors were closed when the window is open. Some have mentioned turning off some ‘green’ feature to keep the AC on. Is that wrong?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Exactly.

I do have to give Celebrity credit for one thing that they do very well.  Marketing.  Convicing a cruiser that less is more.  They are very good at that.

The only reason that they came up with the faux balconies was to save fuel and costs.  It is for more profits for RCL.  As a shareholder I applaud this move.  As a cruiser I won't sail on these ships again.

FYI, the captain’s quarters has side by side IVs, no traditional balcony.😉

• Like 1

Could not agree more with the original post the Infinity Veranda is one thing I really dont want again, but it's not the only thing that made us decide not to repeat a Edge class cruise, the ship for us is all about design over practically and enjoyment.

The lack of variety in bars and and space was in our opinion stark, plus they so called entertainment in Eden and the Alice in Wonderland type characters really was pretentious and totally pointless. Again our opinion. So even with the food and restaurant choices being up to Celebrity standard overall it has to date been our least enjoyable Celebrity cruise.

However the good thing about cruiseing is there are plenty of choice and I fully except one mans food is anothers poison so, we will continue to sail with Celebrity by only on the other class of ships, my only worry is the Edge inspired upgrades going on to the whole fleet dont destroy this product. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

“Really disliked the fact that air conditioning went off even when veranda doors were closed. We do understand the reasoning. ”

I thought the AC stayed on if the Verandah doors were closed when the window is open. Some have mentioned turning off some ‘green’ feature to keep the AC on. Is that wrong?

That did not work for us.  At least not last April.  We tried that because that was the rumor when we went.  The doors do not close easily anyways and we had to move things in order for them to close.  There did not seem to be any mechanism in the door jam that would have signaled to the air conditioning unit that they were closed, but we could Have been wrong. It would have been nice if that were the case