Cruise Critic Community
redglass

WiFI phone calls

Looking for any confirmation I can make a WiFi call on Celebrity Reflection back to the US.  I have a Verizon Galaxy S10 that has WiFi calling built in and I can use it in the US for calls.  Unsure if the WiFi on board  can do same or has Celebrity introduced any lock out code on their platform to prevent passengers from using this feature?

I have an iPhone XS and my provider is Consumer Cellular.

Both the iPhone and Consumer Cellular offer wifi calling (no charge)....  I did need to call Consumer Cellular and they had to activate the feature before my first use...

When Cruizing, I turn Cellular OFF.... WiFi Calling On and connect to Celebrity or Royals wifi (paid for package) and it worked just fine....

I am sure Verison and you Galaxy are the same, do not know if you need to activate through Verison. Just do a simple test at home... Turn of Cellular Data, connect to a wifi network, turn on wifi calling and make a call...

Dennis

I know you can wifi call and facetime with an iPhone.  Not sure how that works for an Android.  🍷

I have also used Wifi Calling using an Iphone and T-Mobile as a carrier.    As above I turn on Airplane mode and then turn on Wifi.   Calls go through and are received without a problem .   I have always have the Xpress Speed internet so not sure about the other plan.

Thanks for all the great replies.  I have the unlimited plan so it sounds like I should be good.

Another option that is commonly used is WhatsApp, but I believe it is only free for smart phone to smart phone communications.  

I have used WIFI calling with Samsung Galaxy versions 5 and above without issue. There is now a feature that you turn on in the phone settings and you may have to activate it with your carrier. I've also used the app Hangouts to make WIFI calls on board, all free.

It works great for outgoing calls.

for incoming calls be aware that often you will get disconnected from wifi after a period of time, especially overnight, so you may miss an incoming call.

I think it depends on your carrier. ATT says that the WI-Fi calling only works in your plan's coverage area and not internationally. It did not work for me in Italy in 2018 but I was able to use Skype to make calls back home. I have a Samsung S-10.

AT&T wifi calling worked for me in the Caribbean, England, Germany, France & Netherlands.  This from October 2019 - present.  And on ships on transatlantic crossing.

Can the calling feature be used on Messenger, as that is free with Wi-Fi at home.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

It works great for outgoing calls.

for incoming calls be aware that often you will get disconnected from wifi after a period of time, especially overnight, so you may miss an incoming call.

Wonder if that is ship dependent.   Some ships I'm on I have to log in every 24 hours while recently on Summit and Edge I stayed connected for the complete cruise without re-logging in.

I don’t know if it's Hardware or software, or the IT department makes the call.  Sometimes I have gotten disconnected from WiFi every time the phone goes to sleep, other times I stay connected for the whole cruise.

We have used wifi calling various times with no issue.  We have Verizon and Galaxy phones of various types.

20 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Can the calling feature be used on Messenger, as that is free with Wi-Fi at home.

Yes, Messenger will work on WiFi, but you don’t need to use WiFi Calling to activate.  Just connect to the ships WiFi. 😁