Studio Stateroom

trbarton

I’m considering a cruise on the Bliss in a studio. Any recommendations as to which stateroom you would pick?  I’ve looked at 11501 which is right next to the lounge. 

Any suggestions appreciated about the Studio staterooms & the lounge & what's offered. 

Tom😀

I prefer being on the same level as the studio. I also prefer a non connecting room to cut down on noise. All mine have happened to be all on the inside, but I've seen someone post that the rooms that share a wall with the outside hall may be louder due to noise in that hall. I've also seen someone talk about the orientation of the room and the movement of the ship - ie most rooms have the bed in the same direction as the ship but a few are perpendicular, but don't ask me about any difference that makes lol. 

I understand that their is storage in the 2 cabinets next to the TV.  Is their any shelves in the cabinets?  Is their a small refrigerator under the sink?

Heres another good photo from their web site. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6982650ed0760340ae3a5973d682e64c.jpeg

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

No fridge. Each cabinet has two shelves on the bottom. The safe is on one of them. The top has pull out racks for hangers - lots of hanging space. There's two shelves under the sink. And shelves to the left of the sink, though like was said your towels do take a shelf, maybe two if you want a lot. 

I over pack a lot in clothes and have plenty of room for it. Also have room for all my toiletries, makeup, all that stuff. Lots of storage. 

Oh there usually is an ice bucket. I think it just takes up space on the small desk and would prefer it gone - there's ice water in the lounge. Especially because the water bottles take up space too. 

There's hooks on either side of the full length mirror (such a nice thing to have!) Though I personally bring magnets with hooks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’m considering a cruise on the Bliss in a studio. Any recommendations as to which stateroom you would pick?  I’ve looked at 11501 which is right next to the lounge. 

Any suggestions appreciated about the Studio staterooms & the lounge & what's offered. 

Tom😀

Personally, I wouldn't pick the cabin right next to the lounge as you will hear everyone coming and going. If possible choose a cabin that isn't adjoining and also one that isn't next to white space on the deck plan... those are storage cupboards and crew can be in and out of those a lot. 

7 hours ago, smplybcause said:

No fridge. Each cabinet has two shelves on the bottom. The safe is on one of them. The top has pull out racks for hangers - lots of hanging space. There's two shelves under the sink. And shelves to the left of the sink, though like was said your towels do take a shelf, maybe two if you want a lot. 

I over pack a lot in clothes and have plenty of room for it. Also have room for all my toiletries, makeup, all that stuff. Lots of storage. 

Oh there usually is an ice bucket. I think it just takes up space on the small desk and would prefer it gone - there's ice water in the lounge. Especially because the water bottles take up space too. 

There's hooks on either side of the full length mirror (such a nice thing to have!) Though I personally bring magnets with hooks.

No, in fact NCL has discontinued supplying ice buckets in the staterooms; (as well as the beach towel and towel animals)!

9 hours ago, smplybcause said:

but I've seen someone post that the rooms that share a wall with the outside hall may be louder due to noise in that hall

I might have mentioned that, just an assumption though.

9 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I've also seen someone talk about the orientation of the room and the movement of the ship - ie most rooms have the bed in the same direction as the ship but a few are perpendicular, but don't ask me about any difference that makes lol. 

I didn't mention that, but I've been in a room where the bed was perpendicular to the ship (my first cruise ever, really rough weather).  If the seas are heavy directly on the bow you can get rocked side to side pretty good.

As for the connecting door - I didn't find any issue with noise through that door.  One benefit is that your head is against one wall while the connecting door is at the very far end of the cabin, and if the issue is snoring from the adjoining cabin then that person's head is as far from THEIR  connecting door as it can be so the noise should be minimal.  I'd try more to not be adjacent to the lounge, studio area entry door or crew area than I would trying to avoid a connecting room.

Helpful responses here. Thanks! I have a studio cabin booked on the Bliss in May. Still not sure if I'm actually traveling solo or not. (Friends are looking at booking on their own.) I'm used to traveling solo so I'm good either way but it sounds like my decision to book Studio was good if only for the use of the lounge and also for any possible coordination for dinners if I don't feel like eating alone. 

So glad this thread popped up. I am sailing solo for the first time in a Studio on the Bliss in March and I am trying to get a good sense of what it will be like. I didn't get to be choosy about my room location, as I booked the last Studio that was available on my sailing. It's not an ideal location by any means, but I am grateful I managed to get it at all, as two days prior, the Studios were showing completely sold out and then this one opened up, so I pounced on it.

2 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

No, in fact NCL has discontinued supplying ice buckets in the staterooms; (as well as the beach towel and towel animals)!

Ah my last cruise was Oct and hadn't read that it had gone the way of the towel animals. Yay more desk space! 

2 hours ago, hallux said:

As for the connecting door - I didn't find any issue with noise through that door.  One benefit is that your head is against one wall while the connecting door is at the very far end of the cabin, and if the issue is snoring from the adjoining cabin then that person's head is as far from THEIR  connecting door as it can be so the noise should be minimal.  I'd try more to not be adjacent to the lounge, studio area entry door or crew area than I would trying to avoid a connecting room.

I only had a connecting door on my first cruise and I could hear the dude next door a lot so I've opted for non-connecting since. Not make-or-break for me and I have had friends in connecting that didn't have a problem. (On a related note - WHY did NCL make so many of their studios connecting? If I'm traveling with a friend that I'd want the connecting room open enough for it to be useful we'd both save money sharing a balcony! It makes no sense to me.)

And this is where personal preferences come in to play! I was in 11503 and LOVED the location. It was so close to the studio it took me like 5 steps to get there, but there wasn't an influx of noise from people going to the lounge. And I didn't hear much noise for the entry door (they might have done something to help with the noise on Bliss, the doors seemed much louder on Breakaway) The white space next to me wasn't a well used area (and I stayed near one on Getaway that I would get woken up by if I was being super lazy). The white spaces in studios isn't a harbinger of noise like it usually is elsewhere. And either there was no one in the cabin I shared a wall with or I just didn't hear their toilet flushing as much as I have in other studios.

But honestly I've never really had a bad studio. I don't know if that just means I'm not picky like others or they're overall better designed set of cabins/area. 

15 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Joy is the only away class that doesn't have studios.

They do have the Concierge class though.  The Family Inside has a virtual balcony.  If you are considering traveling with someone, the 2 bedrooms suite can be more affordable than two separate rooms with studios.  I'm considering that for a trip with my dad.

40 minutes ago, Megalyn said:

They do have the Concierge class though.  The Family Inside has a virtual balcony.  If you are considering traveling with someone, the 2 bedrooms suite can be more affordable than two separate rooms with studios.  I'm considering that for a trip with my dad.

Almost everyone I meet traveling in a studio is traveling alone (which is why I think having connecting studios is pointless). There's a handful that are the odd-man-out of the group. If you're the odd-man-out situation going to the 2 bedroom concierge might be more affordable for you (as long as they keep applying the beverage package to all), but a quick look has that cabin being at least $1000 more per person over studio pricing. 

16 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

This looks like a prison cell. 

I don't know what that looks like but photo was taken as we were leaving the ship at the end of the cruise. 

OP was focused on a studio and could not provide first hand input. Just wanted to show something from the Bliss.

10 hours ago, CazV said:

Personally, I wouldn't pick the cabin right next to the lounge as you will hear everyone coming and going. If possible choose a cabin that isn't adjoining and also one that isn't next to white space on the deck plan... those are storage cupboards and crew can be in and out of those a lot. 

I agree with this, I wouldn't pick a room too close to the lounge. I usually pick a room on the deck above or below, just to be on the safe side.  I also wouldn't pick a room right next to the main doors leading into the outside hallway.

• Like 1

Well,I live close to an intersection of a busy 4 lane road....so I am so looking forward to a solo cabin!! Whatever noise there may be, it sounds wonderful!😊 Thanks for posting the photos and the details,my first solo cabin cruise is the 21 day Panama Canal in April .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

A few weeks ago my studio steward asked if I'd like daily ice and I said "yes,"  He left a filled ice bucket daily and I aoppreciated it. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 11:48 PM, trbarton said:

Anyone stayed in a studio stateroom & what did you think?

I’m looking of a cruise on the Bliss. 

Any photos of a studio stateroom appreciated. 

Tom😎

I have three or four times, though not on Bliss. They are very well laid out and comfortable. The beds are bigger than in other cabins. The only issue that I have is that other than the bed, there is no where to sit, and the TV is pretty close to the bed.

22 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

I am booked in room 11501 for my upcoming cruise on Feb 2nd....will let you know how it is.  I picked it to be close to the lounge.  I have traveled in the studios before (not on the Bliss) and loved the studio lounge access.  Plenty of room, and now with a virtual window which is a great idea. 

12 hours ago, KansasTexan said:

Helpful responses here. Thanks! I have a studio cabin booked on the Bliss in May. Still not sure if I'm actually traveling solo or not. (Friends are looking at booking on their own.) I'm used to traveling solo so I'm good either way but it sounds like my decision to book Studio was good if only for the use of the lounge and also for any possible coordination for dinners if I don't feel like eating alone. 

Just a head up - you do not need to be in a studio in order to hang out with solo travelers or meet up with other cruisers for dinners and shows. When solo travelers have their meetings- the studio lounge is opened up to anyone.

The studio is best if you do not mind the small cabin, having the shower in the same room, and wanted access to the lounge for drinks and snacks.

I've stayed in Studios twice and three times upgraded to balcony's the week before; I find that having a studio vs. a balcony does not add or either take away from my enjoyment of the cruise- i would say having more room to unpack in the balcony is good but with the smaller beds on the Encore balconies it will take care of that.

My recommendation is brining an expired credit card or something (i.e. AAA) to keep the lights on when in room .

Small flashlight and ear plugs don't hurt either but I didn't have noise issues on last cruise. 

I did find sometimes on certain sailings taking the hangers out of the closet made less clanging noise at night.

3 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

A few weeks ago my studio steward asked if I'd like daily ice and I said "yes,"  He left a filled ice bucket daily and I aoppreciated it. 

This was my experience on the Getaway in November also.  If you want something, just ask your room steward.

7 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Almost everyone I meet traveling in a studio is traveling alone (which is why I think having connecting studios is pointless). There's a handful that are the odd-man-out of the group. If you're the odd-man-out situation going to the 2 bedroom concierge might be more affordable for you (as long as they keep applying the beverage package to all), but a quick look has that cabin being at least $1000 more per person over studio pricing. 

I guess I am that odd-man out of the group.  My adult son and I like to cruise together but we do not like sharing a cabin.  The connecting studios were perfect for us as we had 2 of everything, could have the doors open when we wanted to discuss and plan our day and our own privacy when needed.