Cruise Critic Community
bryanem

Deck Chair Saving is Mostly Over ! Oasis

I earlier posted questions about deck chair saving and heard many bad stories. I haven't cruised for 3 years, my previous RC cruises all the deck chairs were saved and there were rarely open deck chairs on any nice spot on the ship. I just got back from a week on Oasis. I am pleased to report deck chair saving is largely over, at least on this cruise. I think guests are following the rules and RC is also enforcing them.  Tons and tons of open chairs, even by the pool in mid afternoon on sea days !  Amazing !  Wonderful !

It made the cruise so much more fun to be able to pick wherever we wanted to sit. Even the nice covered cabanas were unsaved, they were almost always available.

Kudos to RC and to the guests who have obviously changed their ways, I still can't believe it really happened !

Lol I would not be declaring this practice to be "mostly over".  I've seen it and not seen it on different cruises.  It seems to vary, perhaps based on the time of year, age of the cruisers, weather, etc.

Curious, did you see RC employees actually actively enforcing it?

Edited by time4u2go

Maybe they moved to Cabana Hogs .... at least John showed pics of that happening in his thread

I never really noticed a chair hog problem on the big ships (Freedom-class and up). There are always plenty of chairs available anytime of the day. But I'm not very particular where I sit, as long as it's not too windy.  Some of my favorite places are the very front or back of the ship. Less crowds when off the beaten path.

For others that want a front row by the pool or have to be with 25 feet of the bar may disagree.

Edited by HBE4

I was amused to see somebody on the Harmony last week saving 5 chairs near the pool at 8 am on the first sea day.  Didn't see anybody else doing so.  Don't know how long it was before anybody else showed up but it didn't seem like it was necessary.  

1 hour ago, bryanem said:

I just got back from a week on Oasis. I am pleased to report deck chair saving is largely over, at least on this cruise.

I still can't believe it really happened !

Clearly you were not on the New Year's sailing a couple weeks before yours.  That sailing was packed w/passengers and saving pool chairs was alive and well, and saw no enforcement of the rule.  It was a hot week too so pool use was at a maximum.

I've decided that saving pool loungers is not for me... now, saving bar stools....  🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 

(not for me either, but always an option 🙂 )

Last two years  I’ve noticed less chair issues than on our trips in previous years

Dan

It’s definitely better now than it was in the 2000’s when the Voyager and Freedom class was new. I remember it being mayhem to find a chair at 9:30 AM. Now it may not be the best location, but you can always find them. 

I think it’s the evolution of cruisers... less interested in being outside and tanning these days and more interested in moving from the Windjammer to Sorrentos and back to the Windjammer for more 🤢.

4 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

It’s definitely better now than it was in the 2000’s when the Voyager and Freedom class was new. I remember it being mayhem to find a chair at 9:30 AM. Now it may not be the best location, but you can always find them. 

I think it’s the evolution of cruisers... less interested in being outside and tanning these days and more interested in moving from the Windjammer to Sorrentos and back to the Windjammer for more 🤢.

It could also be more of an awareness of the dangers of skin cancer.

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Haha could be. 

I always find chair hogging entertaining. I walk early every morning (6:00 AM) so I have a birds eye view. On sea days the chair hogs arrive way early in the morning and start marking their territory and then slither off. And then there's the theater chair hogs. We always get to the shows early to watch the funny pre show entertainment. 🤣

21 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Very true.  After having a couple pre-cancerous moles removed no more sun for me.

6 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Very true.  After having a couple pre-cancerous moles removed no more sun for me.

Same here.  Chair hogs don't bother me in the least because I have no desire to sit in the sun.

Don’t worry... the chair hogs will be back for all the Spring Break and Summer Cruises. We don’t see as many in the off season. 

Allure, New Year's Day

Almost all sunbeds upstairs and around the pools were received by 7:00

At 9:45 pool staff walked around and removed the stuff from single beds but left all double reserved beds with towels on

Nah, maybe your cruise had less people and more chair availability, but when I went on oasis a month ago, the chair hogs were out in full force.  I kept track and so many people would disappear for more than an hour.  I did not see one crew worker removing towels/items.

Can report it's been years since I've had problem finding lounge chair on my Balcony.... But Sea Days on Pool Deck have still observed many up at 6 reserving chairs, some multiples in shade and Sun...same as have for over 30yrs. Maybe need have meters and use Tokens

There was a Chair Hog charter cruise last week.  They all went.   With that over they'll be coming back soon, just wait.   

On 1/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, The Grumpus said:

Clearly you were not on the New Year's sailing a couple weeks before yours.  That sailing was packed w/passengers and saving pool chairs was alive and well, and saw no enforcement of the rule.  It was a hot week too so pool use was at a maximum.

I was on Mariner Dec 20 - 23 and deck chair saving was alive and well - and so were the nice beds/popason ? chairs in the solarium.  No one enforced it and people left bags - I watched because I wanted one of those beds - one sat for over 3 hours - I was next to it.  but they had a paperback book, a bag and towels so no one bothered it.  I'm planning to just move stuff or get an RCCL person to do it in March if I don't see anyone coming back after 15 minutes or so....