Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
farmermd

Steve Jobs has Ruined Cruising

Recommended Posts

Just back from our first Edge cruise and one of my observations is the now prolific use of phones throughout the ship.  I sat at the Martini Bar one afternoon and observed 4 people in a row at the bar with their noses buried in their phone, oblivious of me taking pictures of them. I observed a person on the pool deck on a sea day having a FaceTime conversation with his grandkid. Numerous times I heard the sounds of incoming text messages and emails.  All of this will only get worse as internet access on ships gets faster and cheaper, especially when it is offered as a “free” perk, and as cruise lines encourage the use of their app while onboard to get the latest schedule of activities and “chat” with fellow cruisers. As a CC Elite member, I get 90 free internet minutes. I used a total of 7 minutes on my seven day cruise, and that was only to check in for my early flight. 
 

Part of the allure of cruising used to be a total disconnect from the world and having new conversations with different people. The allure is quickly fading...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So? ?

Worry about yourself,  and let people enjoy life they way they want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the ship uses the app to do many things it’s kinda funny. Let people be. Although I do object to people conducting activity like watching movies etc, without earphones. 
 

And I think Nokia were the first. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd prefer to have people using their cell phones to having creepy strangers taking photos of me or my family members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also not a big fan of using ones mobil during a cruise- during any vacation. I use the Internet minutes too- to send pictures- to chat- but just at certain times- most of the time the mobil is also on vacation in the cabin.

The " train" of the age of the smart phones- I refuse to name any brand- is not to be stopped- no matter how hard we complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Personally, I'd prefer to have people using their cell phones to having creepy strangers taking photos of me or my family members.


the world we live in now - always having pictures and video taken of us in public places doing normal or not so normal stuff to be posted on social media and public forums for that viral moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's kind of fun to be able to Facetime with my grandchildren while I'm on a trip.  But it's no substitute for real face time with others on the cruise, which I don't neglect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minding your own business is included in your cruise fare. Don’t worry about how anyone else chooses to spend the vacation they paid for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it, it is their cruise and can spend it how they like. Buuuutttt, the whole purpose of places like the Martini Bar is to SOCIALIZE with other members of the cruise.  Sitting at the bar on your phone defeats that purpose. Find a comfy chair away from the bar and be glued to your phone. Will it affect my cruise no, just seems rude. IMHO, flame away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Personally, I'd prefer to have people using their cell phones to having creepy strangers taking photos of me or my family members.

🙌 Agreed. As long as technology use isn’t hurting anyone else like his creepy photo taking habits may be, let people do what they want on THEIR vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont care what anyone else does on their vacation. But I specifically cruise to get away from my cell phone. I live on the thing for work in real life. It is your vacation do what you want. But mine will be locked in the room safe during my vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hawk/hornfan said:

I get it, it is their cruise and can spend it how they like. Buuuutttt, the whole purpose of places like the Martini Bar is to SOCIALIZE with other members of the cruise.  Sitting at the bar on your phone defeats that purpose. Find a comfy chair away from the bar and be glued to your phone. Will it affect my cruise no, just seems rude. IMHO, flame away.

I feel the same way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont care what anyone else does on their vacation. But I specifically cruise to get away from my cell phone. I live on the thing for work in real life. It is your vacation do what you want. But mine will be locked in the room safe during my vacation.

Agree, as will my phone!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed Edge with friends and a couple of times a day I’d be “guilty” of using the X app on my phone to coordinate with them.  But at least I was only texting.  I’ve gotten really tired of people on cruise ships thinking they can have a loud Skype or FaceTime at the table next to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could care less if people play with their phones.  What annoys me is people talking/facetiming LOUDLY in the public areas.  For gosh sake, take it to your stateroom.  🍷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could care less what other people do with their phones on the cruise. If they want to stare at them the whole time, and they have a great trip, awesome:)

 

What I do hate is the cruiselines telling us that if we don't have our devices with us we won't know what is going on during the day because we are reluctant to hand out a daily sheet. If my wife and I are swimming I don't want to leave our expensive mobile devices out on a chair even in a bag. Chances are good that at some point they will disappear. 

 

That said we have never had an internet package nor plan to get one. We are mid 40s so this attitude may surprise some because you would think we are more tech addicted;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hawk/hornfan said:

the whole purpose of places like the Martini Bar is to SOCIALIZE with other members of the cruise. 

And here I thought the whole purpose of bars was to provide a place to have a drink. Can I only have a drink if I socialize with others? I can't text my grandkids or read a book or check the app to see who's performing that night? I can't share the photos I took that day with DH, because I should be engaging in inane chitchat with the person seated next to us?

 

I couldn't care less how a total stranger chooses to spend their time on board, providing they aren't disrupting those around them. And if I choose to play a movie on my tablet while relaxing on a sea day- if that offends your sensibilities, then so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mom says said:

And here I thought the whole purpose of bars was to provide a place to have a drink. Can I only have a drink if I socialize with others? I can't text my grandkids or read a book or check the app to see who's performing that night? I can't share the photos I took that day with DH, because I should be engaging in inane chitchat with the person seated next to us?

 

I couldn't care less how a total stranger chooses to spend their time on board, providing they aren't disrupting those around them. And if I choose to play a movie on my tablet while relaxing on a sea day- if that offends your sensibilities, then so be it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hawk/hornfan said:

And you totally missed my point. Of course you can do those things, but then don't be put out when someone wants engage you in "INANE CHITCHAT" at a Social gathering place. Because you could just move to place where you want be BOTHERED by us social folks trying to get know our fellow shipmates??????????????

 

14 minutes ago, mom says said:

And here I thought the whole purpose of bars was to provide a place to have a drink. Can I only have a drink if I socialize with others? I can't text my grandkids or read a book or check the app to see who's performing that night? I can't share the photos I took that day with DH, because I should be engaging in inane chitchat with the person seated next to us?

 

I couldn't care less how a total stranger chooses to spend their time on board, providing they aren't disrupting those around them. And if I choose to play a movie on my tablet while relaxing on a sea day- if that offends your sensibilities, then so be it.

 

Edited by hawk/hornfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, farmermd said:

Just back from our first Edge cruise and one of my observations is the now prolific use of phones throughout the ship.  I sat at the Martini Bar one afternoon and observed 4 people in a row at the bar with their noses buried in their phone, oblivious of me taking pictures of them. I observed a person on the pool deck on a sea day having a FaceTime conversation with his grandkid. Numerous times I heard the sounds of incoming text messages and emails.  All of this will only get worse as internet access on ships gets faster and cheaper, especially when it is offered as a “free” perk, and as cruise lines encourage the use of their app while onboard to get the latest schedule of activities and “chat” with fellow cruisers. As a CC Elite member, I get 90 free internet minutes. I used a total of 7 minutes on my seven day cruise, and that was only to check in for my early flight. 
 

Part of the allure of cruising used to be a total disconnect from the world and having new conversations with different people. The allure is quickly fading...

Were you taking those pictures with your cell phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People relax in a lot of different ways. As long as it’s legal, I’m not going to judge anyone. Life is too short to get offended by someone who chooses to relax in a way that is different than my way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Were you taking those pictures with your cell phone?


LOL no that would be too easy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah- i take it on board Edge they are no longer providing the daily paper with all the going ons? If so i find that rather strange- no everyone want´s to schlepp their mobil along all day long.

As for sitting in the Martini Bar sipping ones Martini, sitting alone, reading or playing with ones mobil- why not- as long it does not disturb others. Facetime and Skype are privat matters and should be carried out accordingly - in the privacy of ones cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Ah- i take it on board Edge they are no longer providing the daily paper with all the going ons? If so i find that rather strange- no everyone want´s to schlepp their mobil along all day long.

As for sitting in the Martini Bar sipping ones Martini, sitting alone, reading or playing with ones mobil- why not- as long it does not disturb others. Facetime and Skype are privat matters and should be carried out accordingly - in the privacy of ones cabin.

 

How is having a conversation on facetime or skype any different from a conversation with anyone else you're with, or even as mentioned above, strangers at the bar?

 

The only issue is people running it with speakers loud, which applies to whatever is on there whether a movie, or facetime, or music. Don't see any need to run to your cabin if you have facetime and have earphones in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...