Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ael123

Dr. Weil Partnership with Seabourn and wellness

Recommended Posts

Loving these stories!   It sounds as if his name is incorrectly spelled - surely it should be Vile?😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 7:09 AM, Cantara24 said:

 

I would even be happy if Seabourn would leave Keller to the TK Grill and get rid of the Keller inspired dishes in the Colonnade and MDR.

Seems the drink professional, Brian, is no longer playing a role on ship. I sense less that stellar comments about Keller. 

 

The "professionals" don't seem to be doing much good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet many were recently complaining on another thread here that they have trouble getting reservations for the Grill. So clearly I’m not the only one who thinks favorably about TK Grill.
 

And while I’m fine with the deletion of the periodic inclusion of Keller dishes in the MDR as was the case until fairly recently, I do miss the Calotte of beef that was occasionally available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, saminina said:

I would like to thank the original poster of this thread of unintended consequences.    It has given nonbelievers space to opine.  

 


That’s what public forums are for. 
 

“Non believers”. It seems a trend these days to stereotype groups of people. I’m a big believer in certain healthy living programs, diets, etc. I’m however put off by the inventor of this particular program completely ignoring his own teachings on special cruises sold under his brand / name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the same of Weil AS of Dr. Oz.   If it talks like a duck...  and tries to sell you something, run far, far AWAY.  Best exercise you will get all day,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing against Dr. Weil (or any other cruise ship spa contractors), but why on earth are all these business charging like crazy for their services?

No mater what ship or cruise line you are on, spa and salon prices are almost always similar (or even higher) than prices in top-end salons in major cities.

OK, I currently live in Bangkok, where prices tend to be moderate for services (unless you go to a place in a 5-star hotel, where you ALWAYS pay through the nose).

But seeing prices on line for some packages and basic services, makes my laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 12:12 PM, ael123 said:

I just came off of a 7 night cruise on Odyssey and have a 38 night cruise on Sojourn leaving in 62 days. I was very excited to read about Dr. Andrew Weil's partnership with Seabourn. Dr. Weil has written books on health and wellness. Most of his work centers around eating to avoid disease and he has a lot written about his food pyramid diet. Much to my chagrin on Odyssey I did not see any sign of Dr. Weil's health suggestions being incorporated in Seabourn's dining program. When I asked my waiter for fresh green juice (apple, lemon, kale, and cucumber at lunch and at dinner I was told that was a special order that would need to be requested a head of time. I saw these items incorporated in other dishes on board; so they had the ingredients but getting someone like a bartender put the ingredients in a blender to make the juice was a problem. I am not a vegetarian but was trying to get a vegetable forward plate. I looked at the menu and requested vegetables as a side that were listed as accompaniments. For example one menu item came with Brussels sprouts so I asked for a side of Brussels sprouts. When the waiter came out with the food he informed me they did not have any Brussels sprouts despite they were on another guests plate as part of the entree. The waiter brought me a side of mixed vegetables which were frozen cauliflower, carrots and broccoli.  My choice would be to have fresh vegetables not the frozen mix I was given. When there were green beans on the menu as an accompaniment I got 6 green beans on my plate. A waiter supervisor in Colonnade Danjiel told me that special orders needed to be requested ahead of time so I have emailed guest services at Seabourn to make my request known before my next cruise.  When I inquired about the Dr. Weill partnership I was told that this is with the spa only. Not the dining room. Has anyone on Seabourn's other ships seen signs of Dr. Weil's healthy living recommendations regarding diet being offered as a choice at any of the restaurants? In some aspects I am feeling a bit mislead but it may have been my fault for expecting to see his wellness program integrated into the menu in the restaurants. I guess I will see how my request is received by the staff on Sojourn for my upcoming cruise.

Ok, I am only focusing on your gripe with FROZEN VEGETABLES here.

Generally, there is nothing wrong with frozen veggies. They are no worse than "fresh" veggies that have travelled for weeks and were stored in coolrooms and have travelled the world until they end up on your plate.

Most of these vegetables are harvested and processed so fast, that their nutritional contents will stay largely in tact.

Usually, vegetables (or fruit) intended for the frozen market are harvested at the PEAK of their ripeness with the most nutritional content, whereas "fresh" produce is harvested under-ripe and let to ripen during the transport chain, all along losing nutrients.

So, unless you pick an apple from the tree, or pull a carrot out of the ground yourself, you never know how "fresh" your purchase really is.

One thing you CAN do, is stay away from sugar (or artificial sweeteners) and reduce your salt intake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big guy Spa promoter and the extremely/overly chatty and loud guy who mixes drinks? These are marketing types with something to offer for a while. Until they don’t. Remember Charlie Palmer? The cycle has a life and will come to an end, and all that was considered when their contracts were prepared.

 

”When something begins, it begins to end”, so the saying goes.

 

Of course, that will apply, sooner or later, to TK and (hopefully sooner, in my view) to The Retreat, which occupies sorely needed deck space and offends my idea of what Seabourn already represents as a luxury cruise brand. 

No big deal. That’s business.

 

Happy and healthy sailing!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Greta would say, "How DARE you!!??"

😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not worried about Greta because she gets it. We all have to move with the times- and that includes what’s good for the brand and what works.

 

Seabourn and its suppliers know that. Maybe they’re negotiating another gig right now. If these gentlemen were smarter they would have sharpened up their acts. If they’re late in the game now they might recognize that they should have done more when they were riding the wave and their appeal was untarnished. Anyway, they’ve got contracts with exit provisions, for sure.
 

And about The Retreat, well, it’s tough for Seabourn to admit it’s mistake I guess, but if the place is empty and a running joke, one day it might just disappear during the ships’ refits.

 

Time will tell. 
 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Ok, I am only focusing on your gripe with FROZEN VEGETABLES here.

Generally, there is nothing wrong with frozen veggies. They are no worse than "fresh" veggies that have travelled for weeks and were stored in coolrooms and have travelled the world until they end up on your plate.

Most of these vegetables are harvested and processed so fast, that their nutritional contents will stay largely in tact.

Usually, vegetables (or fruit) intended for the frozen market are harvested at the PEAK of their ripeness with the most nutritional content, whereas "fresh" produce is harvested under-ripe and let to ripen during the transport chain, all along losing nutrients.

So, unless you pick an apple from the tree, or pull a carrot out of the ground yourself, you never know how "fresh" your purchase really is.

One thing you CAN do, is stay away from sugar (or artificial sweeteners) and reduce your salt intake.

I am not saying that the frozen vegetables are bad for everyone. I prefer fresh vegetables for their taste and texture. I shop daily; buy and cook fresh vegetables. Just like some people prefer a certain type of wine. My choice is to eat fresh vegetables. When I see Brussel Sprouts on the menu being served with an entree and people at my table have Brussel Sprouts I don't understand why I can't have a bowl of them and have to eat mixed frozen vegetables. I probably am not Seabourn's target market. I don't drink alcohol and would prefer the money they are saving on the alcohol I am not drinking  be put toward my vegetable allowance (LOL). I want luxury, I want small size, attentive service and fresh juice and fresh vegetables and that is what I am paying a premium to obtain. I don't want institutional food like what is served on Celebrity or Hal or RCL. I enjoy the food on Oceania but their ships are too crowded. I will not sail on a ship where I can't get a deck chair so Oceania is out. There are trade offs with different cruise lines. Since I will be sailing for 38 nights on Sojourn my plan is to follow the advice from my fellow Seabourn Sailors and make my wants known. I have sent an email to  customer service and have informed them of my dietary needs. I have no doubt Seabourn will come through. In essence that is why I chose to do my cruise with them (exemplary service, comfortable cabin, small size, wonderful staff, clean ship, always able to get a treadmill in the gym and no lines.When I sailed previously in the Mediterranean on Quest there were plenty of crab claws daily and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. So I was a little surprised when I was on Odyssey and did not see the same things. However, I can understand some products may be more difficult to obtain in different parts of the world.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ael123 said:

I am not saying that the frozen vegetables are bad for everyone. I prefer fresh vegetables for their taste and texture. I shop daily; buy and cook fresh vegetables. Just like some people prefer a certain type of wine. My choice is to eat fresh vegetables. When I see Brussel Sprouts on the menu being served with an entree and people at my table have Brussel Sprouts I don't understand why I can't have a bowl of them and have to eat mixed frozen vegetables. I probably am not Seabourn's target market. I don't drink alcohol and would prefer the money they are saving on the alcohol I am not drinking  be put toward my vegetable allowance (LOL). I want luxury, I want small size, attentive service and fresh juice and fresh vegetables and that is what I am paying a premium to obtain. I don't want institutional food like what is served on Celebrity or Hal or RCL. I enjoy the food on Oceania but their ships are too crowded. I will not sail on a ship where I can't get a deck chair so Oceania is out. There are trade offs with different cruise lines. Since I will be sailing for 38 nights on Sojourn my plan is to follow the advice from my fellow Seabourn Sailors and make my wants known. I have sent an email to  customer service and have informed them of my dietary needs. I have no doubt Seabourn will come through. In essence that is why I chose to do my cruise with them (exemplary service, comfortable cabin, small size, wonderful staff, clean ship, always able to get a treadmill in the gym and no lines.When I sailed previously in the Mediterranean on Quest there were plenty of crab claws daily and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. So I was a little surprised when I was on Odyssey and did not see the same things. However, I can understand some products may be more difficult to obtain in different parts of the world.  

I have been fascinated with how the ship is provisioned and ask questions about it whenever I get the opportunity--not because I am displeased, but because I am curious and like to hear about the process.  On our last SB cruise, we were told that there were only certain suppliers who were "certified" for lack of a more precise term, to provision the ship.  (Now we all know that occasionally the chef goes ashore to do some shopping.)  We've been told that sometimes a crew member is sent to the local grocery store to pick up some items that have run low.  I can imagine that storing food onboard is something of a jigsaw puzzle--there are certain things that have to be fresh--lettuce, tomatoes, fresh fruit for breakfast, etc.  There is probably not a lot of room, I imagine, for all kinds of fresh vegetables onboard that don't have a very long period when they are at their peak.  I started ordering the side plate of vegetables with dinner on our last cruise--and found them to be fine.  Were they fresh?  I was having too much fun to be overly picky.  I do not think though that SB is going to be going ashore everywhere and picking up fresh vegetables.  They want to know where their food comes from.  I see it as a safety issue.  

Edited by SLSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ael123 said:

When I see Brussel Sprouts on the menu being served with an entree and people at my table have Brussel Sprouts I don't understand why I can't have a bowl of them and have to eat mixed frozen vegetables.

 

Could you just order an extra entree and enjoy those Brussel Sprouts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Sojourn awhile ago on a hosted table with Sophie, CD, sitting next to me, and when I asked for a side plate of vegetables the waiter ran off a list of different types of vegetables I could have. I said no spinach and guess what I got? A full plate of spinach as he must have missed the word no.   Sophie said send it back   We just laughed as it wasnt a big deal really   so one should be able to order  what ever kind of vegetables they like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Videopark said:

 

Could you just order an extra entree and enjoy those Brussel Sprouts?

That is a great idea. However, there were like two sprouts that had been sliced into 4's each. I would have hated to have wasted the other food but I love your thinking. I have written Seabourn and will speak to the chef when I embark in March on my next Seabourn journey. I appreciate your thoughts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is difficult for catering businesses to ensure acceptable quality (at a manageable price) in different parts of the world.

I work with high-volume airline caterers and the drama we have all over the world to ensure supply and standards, give me many sleepless nights.

The culinary and menu-design part of the business wants everything nice and fresh, the accountants spoil the party.

If the CEO insists on having fresh raspberries in First and Business class every day of the year, we can get that.

But in November in Norway the berries will not be tasty. Pretty, yes. But tasteless. And mind bogglingly expensive. (Cue the accountants).

Seasonality and freshness are lovely buzz-words, but mostly unrealistic. Sadly!

 

Even for regular shoppers in places like Dubai, Muscat, Doha, with all the wealth of these cities, supply of fresh produce is very difficult.

Not everybody can do their daily shopping at ultra-high end grocery stores. Your regular supermarket will be well stocked with very basic veggies, but "normal" celery, potatoes!!!, anything Wester, really, is expensive and of poor quality.

By the time you get your $15 half a bunch of celery stalks home, you need to soak them in a ***** bath!

 

So, all that said, lets not be too harsh on the chefs on cruise ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SLSD said:

I have been fascinated with how the ship is provisioned and ask questions about it whenever I get the opportunity--not because I am displeased, but because I am curious and like to hear about the process.  On our last SB cruise, we were told that there were only certain suppliers who were "certified" for lack of a more precise term, to provision the ship.  (Now we all know that occasionally the chef goes ashore to do some shopping.)  We've been told that sometimes a crew member is sent to the local grocery store to pick up some items that have run low.  I can imagine that storing food onboard is something of a jigsaw puzzle--there are certain things that have to be fresh--lettuce, tomatoes, fresh fruit for breakfast, etc.  There is probably not a lot of room, I imagine, for all kinds of fresh vegetables onboard that don't have a very long period when they are at their peak.  I started ordering the side plate of vegetables with dinner on our last cruise--and found them to be fine.  Were they fresh?  I was having too much fun to be overly picky.  I do not think though that SB is going to be going ashore everywhere and picking up fresh vegetables.  They want to know where their food comes from.  I see it as a safety issue.  

Yes I see your point. I hadn't thought about the safety issue. I have cruised Northern Europe with Oceana and Crystal and ports between Dover and Rome as well as the Mediterranean, Tahiti, Caribbean on Oceana/Regent/Seabourn. I never had difficulty getting fresh vegetables. Even RCI in the Middle East had really good fresh vegetables. I don't know what was up with this last cruise on Seabourn. I don't feel I got my monies worth. I wouldn't really say much if it was an inexpensive cruise. I have done the same ports on Wind Star and the food was gross but I paid less than $900 for the week but I chalked it up that you get what you pay for and I didn't complain. But when you pay $2500 a week they should over night fresh provisions if need be. Not split a brussel sprout in 4 and put 2 on a plate and call it a vegetable or give 6 green beans. I really think it was more of a cost cutting issue rather than a safety issue. The dinner plates were small but desserts were large to fill passengers up. Not really healthy. If I was only looking at food I would always sail with Oceana but Seabourn has a lot to offer in other areas which are appealing. So I am going to write the check and fuss if I feel the need to (LOL) (smiley face).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand what went wrong with the Op’s dining experience. We’ve cruised Seabourn 15 times and always order whatever vegetables we want as an extra side to our main course, incl. regularly Brussels sprouts. This has never been an issue and most certainly isn’t a “special order”. Whether the team serving the op was new/inexperienced or just lazy, I’m confident a conversation with the Restaurant Manager or Guest Services would have quickly resolved it.  

Edited by florisdekort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am looking for a little education.   Please name a few fresh vegetables you have eaten aboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Videopark said:

 

Could you just order an extra entree and enjoy those Brussel Sprouts?

People who ENJOY Brussels sprouts must be few and far between. 

Then again,  with plenty of BACON  they are not too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, saminina said:

Am looking for a little education.   Please name a few fresh vegetables you have eaten aboard.

asparagus, artichoke (Keller Grill) squash, sweet potato, red and brown potatoes, zucchini, green beans, carrots, brussel sprouts, spinach, dandelion greens, red cabbage, radishes, pea pods,  jicama, Kale,  shallots, water cress, vegetable crudities that included cauliflower, celery, carrot sticks, (salad bar fixings) including broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, beets, green onions,  bamboo shoots, green and red pepper, onions, and peapods.  Those are the ones that come to mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 9:06 AM, saminina said:

Exactly!

 

Fresh vegetables on a ship would be rare.   24 hour notice to prepare special items.  If they have the ingredients,  you will get it with proper notice.   If you want freshly squeezed orange juice, bring your own squeezer and have oranges delivered to your room.   But I'm guessing  your great Dr. Weill would not approve of OJ.

 

Anyway, you'll be set for your upcoming cruise.

I don't understand. On a luxury line like Seabourn you are saying to bring your own squeezer? I don't drink OJ because of the high sugar content. I like vegetable juice. All they need to do is take some kale, celery, lemon, and a little apple and put it in a blender. Not a big deal I do it at home all the time. On Oceania I asked for fresh lemonade and they actually cut up a lemon put a piece of cheese cloth on it and squeezed it for me. I thought that was very nice. Luxury lines usually provide fresh fruit juice without the person having to bring their own squeezer. I don't know if Dr. Weil is great. I just thought since they were marketing the cruise as a health and wellness cruise and brought up Dr. Weil that I would look up what he wrote so I knew what to expect. I read up on him and thought that the cruise would be great but was disappointed when they did not follow any of his eating recommendations. If Seabourn never marketed the cruise and pushed the name of Dr. Weil then I wouldn't have read up on him and set my expectations as high. Although I still enjoy fresh juices while at sea since I drink them when at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 11:55 PM, florisdekort said:

I don’t understand what went wrong with the Op’s dining experience. We’ve cruised Seabourn 15 times and always order whatever vegetables we want as an extra side to our main course, incl. regularly Brussels sprouts. This has never been an issue and most certainly isn’t a “special order”. Whether the team serving the op was new/inexperienced or just lazy, I’m confident a conversation with the Restaurant Manager or Guest Services would have quickly resolved it.  

You are right. I should have mentioned it to the restaurant manager but it was a 7 day cruise so I just let it go. My goal in taking that cruise was mostly for planning purposes. I have a much longer 38 day cruise scheduled in 6 weeks and I want to make sure I didn't forget important things and that everything on SB is fairly similar to what I experienced in the past. It gave me a good idea of what I want to ask for on the longer voyage. Thank you for the reminder to speak to the restaurant manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ael123 said:

I don't understand. On a luxury line like Seabourn you are saying to bring your own squeezer? 

 

For OJ, yes.  Because I know what they are serving is not close to my preference.   We're all allowed to live in our own fantasy world.  Goof luck with yours thinking you're eating fresh vegetables.   I'm a believer that most frozen product is not so distinguished  from not frozen.   Spinach being the obvious exception to me.  But, I'm not big on the food group and do not pretend to recognize 70% of those you have listed.  If Dr. Weill cared, he would be proud of you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 9:10 AM, saminina said:

 

For OJ, yes.  Because I know what they are serving is not close to my preference.   We're all allowed to live in our own fantasy world.  Goof luck with yours thinking you're eating fresh vegetables.   I'm a believer that most frozen product is not so distinguished  from not frozen.   Spinach being the obvious exception to me.  But, I'm not big on the food group and do not pretend to recognize 70% of those you have listed.  If Dr. Weill cared, he would be proud of you.  

I guess it depends on where you lived. I spent most of my life in Chicago and we were fortunate to be near Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Lots of fresh vegetables (sweet corn that just melts in your mouth) fresh green beans by the bushel and fruits during the summer months. I used to have 2 acres and a garden when I lived in Indiana where I grew vegetables with little effort and had fruit trees. The soil in Indiana is very good so it didn't take much to grown vegetables.  I am accustomed to the taste and to me there is a big difference in the taste between fresh and frozen. In Chicago we used to get a lot of fruits and vegetables from Mexico and Central America. There are Mag Melons which are cantaloupe that come from Costa Rica and really good. I never looked at it as being a veggie/fruit snob but I guess if you live in a location where it is hard to come by good fruits and vegetables it must seem unrealistic. I did several 21 day cruises in Europe on Oceania and a couple on Crystal and 1 on Seabourn during the summer months and the food was exceptional. There were a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits/berries on those cruises. The last cruise I did on Seabourn in the Caribbean was a bit of a disappointment because I know what can be done and it looked more like they were cutting corners or didn't try to hard. They did have berries at breakfast and the fruit salad was ok. But I now live in Florida and we were less than 3 hours from there and Florida is in the height of their growing season. I shop daily and there are delicious strawberries (next week is our strawberry festival), green beans, and lots of avocados/mangos/broccoli/etc. BTW I did get a letter back from Seabourn and they did say they would be happy to accommodate my request. So I am glad I asked. I am really looking forward to my next cruise in 47 days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...